I-AA National Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-AA National Championship

The 14-1 Delaware Blue Hens are playing the 15-0 Colgate Raiders right now on ESPN 2.  So far it is all Blue Hens 20-0!

Re: I-AA National Championship

Colgate ran out of magic (what do you expect, hens don't have teeth) start of the 4th Qtr. Delaware 40 Colgate 0. The Blue Hens have the second team guys in, only thing left to find out is the final score.

Comment

I read an article on Colgate in USA Today a couple days ago touting the fact that they are non-scholarship. But the story went on to say that they give "grants" to the tune of equaling about 50-55 scholarships. So in fact they give as much financial support to their athletes as any other 1AA school. They make it sound like all these kids are playing for the fun of it-NOT QUITE !

Comment

I agree, the media has been making a big deal about them not being a scholarship school but not telling the whole story. The Colgate kids do have to show need, because it is not a true athletic scholarship, but with the cost of Colgate as long as your name isn't Biff, you will have a need (not a lot of great Biffs in Football history).

Comment

I went to the Colgate website and clicked on financial assistance and here is what I found. It kind of makes the Augustana Advangtage affordable  ;D:

Take these cost and multiply by 55 and you get a good size of what their football budget is about. SDSU could fund about 4 scholarships to Colgates one. I had thought Colgate was the New York Land grant school with sheep etc but apparently thats not them.

Student Charges for 2003-04 are:

Tuition: $29,740
          Student Activity Fee: $200
          Student Health Insurance †: $441

University Housing:

Traditional Residence Hall ††: $3,455
          University College House or Apartment: $3,850

Board Options:

Premier Plan (19 meal) †††: $3,700
          Classic Plan (14 meal): $3,110
          Standard Plan (10 meal): $2,465
          Basic Plan (5 meal): $1,340

Study Abroad Programs:

Estimated Study Group Costs: See Money Matters on the Off Campus Study website

At least $1,725 should be allowed for books, supplies, normal travel, clothing, and incidentals. In addition, a one-time transcript fee of $50 is assessed for students attending Colgate for the first time.

Tuition Insurance is available through A.W.G. Dewar, Inc. An explanation of the tuition insurance program and application is mailed to enrolled students in late Spring. If you decide to purchase this coverage and your student is forced to withdraw due to illness, accident or other medical reasons, the protection afforded by the plan will be a welcome resource.

For more information on "Expenses", click here to view the Colgate Catalogue.

Comment

Colgate Financial Aid

Texas Fan is correct.

The USA Today article missed an important point. Yes, Ivy League and D-III schools also give need based aid--but they don't give any money because of athletics...except for Brown, which the Ivy put on probation a few years ago for violating aid rules.

On the other hand, the Patriot League (Colgate) gives athletic-related football aid. Their players lose financial aid if they quit the team.

PL programs call themselves non-scholarship because no individual gets a full-ride, and because they want to mimic the Ivy League. However, PL schools often hit one of the so-called scholarship limits: 85 players receiving athletic aid.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
              I went to the Colgate website and clicked on financial assistance and here is what I found. It kind of makes the Augustana Advangtage affordable  ;D:

Take these cost and multiply by 55 and you get a good size of what their football  budget is about.  SDSU could fund about 4 scholarships to Colgates one. I had thought Colgate was the New York Land grant school with sheep etc but apparently thats not them.

Student Charges for 2003-04 are:

Tuition: $29,740
              Student Activity Fee: $200
              Student Health Insurance †: $441

University Housing:

Traditional Residence Hall ††: $3,455
              University College House or Apartment: $3,850

Board Options:

Premier Plan (19 meal) †††: $3,700
              Classic Plan (14 meal): $3,110
              Standard Plan (10 meal): $2,465
              Basic Plan (5 meal): $1,340

Study Abroad Programs:

Estimated Study Group Costs: See Money Matters on the Off Campus Study website

At least $1,725 should be allowed for books, supplies, normal travel, clothing, and incidentals. In addition, a one-time transcript fee of $50 is assessed for students attending Colgate for the first time.

Tuition Insurance is available through A.W.G. Dewar, Inc. An explanation of the tuition insurance program and application is mailed to enrolled students in late Spring. If you decide to purchase this coverage and your student is forced to withdraw due to illness, accident or other medical reasons, the protection afforded by the plan will be a welcome resource.

For more information on "Expenses", click here to view the Colgate Catalogue.
              I did a google for land grant schools and I was confusing Colgate with Cornell, and thats apparently is a big difference. Funny though Cornell's Ag college has several sophisicated names, like it calls their expermiment farm a Plantation. Cornell is Ivy League I believe.

Comment

Yep. I used to work with a graduate of the Cornell Ag school.

He claims his SAT score was about 1100 and he was a big drinker. If he hadn't graduated from a rural NY high school, there's no way he would've been admitted to an Ivy League university...unless he had been recruited for football, of course.

Comment

A little quick math adds up to appx. $40,000 for a year at Colgate, At those rates their athletic budget probably resembles a big ten school rather than the 6-9 million for a typical 1AA school.

Comment

Working...
                  X