• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum article stoking NDSU-SDSU rivalry

http://www.in-forum.com/columnists/i...st=mikemcfeely

enjoy

Re: Forum article stoking NDSU-SDSU rivalry

If you check out the S.I article on SD there is a question regarding most hated oppenents. Green Bay is #1 with the Bison #2. I suspect a lot of SDSU grads were polled. I have no problem hating the Bison and look forward to sweeping them in both men's and women's BB. Has much as USD, Augie and UND blow, Fargo and NDSU take the cake. Bring it on Bison. GO JACKS, WAR BISON!!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mag.../south_dakota/
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
      If you check out the S.I article on SD there is a question regarding most hated oppenents.  Green Bay is #1 with the Bison #2.  I suspect a lot of SDSU grads were polled.  I have no problem hating the Bison and look forward to sweeping them in both men's and women's BB.  Has much as USD, Augie and UND blow, Fargo and NDSU take the cake.  Bring it on Bison.  GO JACKS, WAR BISON!!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mag.../south_dakota/
      it will be tough for the men.. hopefully the ladies will do well though.. I checked out the north dakota page.. and was disgusted by the picture of sioux hockey.  under our states it lists und's hockey titles, NDSU women's 5 BB titles.. but didn't list our 8 FB titles.. kind of disappointing.  it also has no listings for most hated by the state yet.. perhaps they forgot to take a poll of north dakotans similar to how Rand McNally left our state out of the atlas one year.

here's to the rivalry

[img]
      http://jefflog.everybody.org/phpix/g...scaled_150.jpg
      [/img]

Comment

Once upon a time, long ago, when animals could still talk. Little Jakcrabbit was out gathering wild beans for the coming winter. His neighbor, Bison, came down to graze in the meadow. This the Jackrabbit did not like, for he knew that Bison would mow down all the long grass with his prickly tongue, and there would be no place in which to hide. He made up his mind to fight and offer battle like a man.
        "Ho, Friend Bison, Go Away! you cannot eat away all the grass here. I will have no place to hide. I challenge you to a fight!", he exclaimed.

Bison paid no attention, thinking it only a joke. Jackrabbit angrily repeated the challenge as loud as he could, and still Bsion went on quietly grazing. Then jackrabbit laughed with contempt as he again, repeated his bold challenge. The Bison at last looked at him and replied carelessly:

"You had better keep still, little one, or I shall come over there and step on you, and there will be nothing left but a flat spot on the grass!"

"You can't do it! "replied the Jackrabbit.

"I tell you to keep still,"insisted Bison, who was getting angry. "If you speak to me again, I shall certainly come and put an end to you! "

"I dare you to do it! "said the Jackrabbit, provoking him.

Whereby Bsion rushed upon him. He trampled the grass clumsily and tore up the earth with his front hoofs. When he had ended, he looked for the Jackrabbit, but he could not see him anywhere.

"I told you I would step on you and there would be nothing left!", he muttered.

Just then he felt a scratching inside his right ear. He shook his head as hard as he could, and twitched his ears back and forth. The gnawing went deeper and deeper until he was half wild with the pain. He pawed the ground with his hoofs and tore up the bushes with his horns. Bellowing madly, he ran as fast as he could. First he ran straight forward and then he ran in circles. At last he just stopped and stood there trembling. Then Jackrabbit jumped out of his ear, and said:

"Will you say now that I am your master? "

"No! "bellowed Bison, and again he started toward the Jackrabbit, as if to trample him under his feet but Little Jackrabbit was nowhere to be seen. As he looked about, Bison felt him in the other ear. Once more he became wild with pain, and ran here and there all over the prairie, kicking and bucking and leaping high in the air. At last he fell to the ground in a heap and lay still. Jackrabbit waited and at last, came out of his ear and stood proudly upon bison's dead body.

"Aho!", said he, "I have killed the greatest of all beasts. This will show all beings that I am master! "

Modified from "The Buffalo and the Field Mouse"
        ~ a Native American Tale ~

ND Bison have big ears and we have some small pesky Jackrabbits!!
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

not bad.. i looked up some fables myself.. however most of them ended up with a bison dying :-/ , after christmas i will have to come up with something better

Comment

For those of you who want an SDSU spin on the Fargo Forum column I took some liberties and reprinted the best part here:

- What’s a seven-course meal in Fargo? Road-kill pheasant and a six-pack.

- How do you keep NDSU football players out of your yard? Put up goal posts.

- How do you get to Brookings from Fargo? Walk north until you step in it.

- Two drunk NDSU basketball players are walking along the railroad tracks.

“Man, these stairs are killing me,” says the first one.
            To which the second player replies, “It’s not so much the stairs, it’s the low handrails.”

- Why did O.J. Simpson flee to Nouth Dakota? Everybody’s DNA is the same.

- Why did the chicken cross the road? The Bison defense couldn’t stop him.

- How do you get an NDSU grad off your front steps? Pay him for the pizza.

- Why does the NDSU women’s basketball team wear bibs? To keep the tobacco juice off their new uniforms.

- How can you tell if you own a computer made in Nouth Dakota? The numeric keypad only goes up to six.

- What does the average NDSU football player get on his SATs? Drool.

- How can you tell the toothbrush was invented in Fargo? If it had been invented anywhere else, it would have been called a “teethbrush.”

- What’s the difference between puppies and Bison fans? The puppies stop whining after six weeks.

- And, our favorite:
            Jimmy and his family moved from Fargo to Brookings when Jimmy’s dad got a new job.

After his first day of kindergarten, Jimmy came home excited. “Daddy! Daddy! The teacher wanted us to recite the alphabet and I’m the only one who could!”

“That’s because you’re from Fargo, son,” the dad replied.

The next day Jimmy rushed in the door when he got home from school and said, “Daddy! The teacher wanted us to count to 20 and I’m the only one who could!”

“That’s because you’re from Fargo, son,” said the dad.
            The third day, Jimmy arrived home out of breath and said, “Daddy! We all stood in a line at school today and I’m the tallest one. I’ll bet that’s because I’m from Fargo, huh?”

“No, son. That’s because you’re 23 years old.”

Comment

Just remember it takes fans to build a rivalry. I would also hope that the student bodies of SDSU & NDSU are coming up with some way to stoke the rivalry and make the Jacks-Bison games even better than State-U.

Go State, Go State!
              Mama Bison's a .....

Comment

A bison and a jackrabbit are taking a s#*t in the woods. The bison turns to the jackrabbit and asks, "Do you ever have trouble with s#*t sticking to your fur?" The jackrabbit replies, "No!" So the bison picks up the rabbit and wipes his a$$ with it.

Comment

I noted the sophomorish attempt at humor concerning the pending rivalry between SDSU and NDSU. I'd like to address two items.

First, NDSU is a terrific university. The alumni and friends of that institution have a great deal to be proud of.

Second, I would hope that in years to come, the rivalry doesn't turn either student bodies (and alumni!) into classless idiots. Fred Oien, AD at State, has taken a great deal of criticism for not wanting to play in Vermillion. Fred is correct. Why would SDSU fans want to go back to the DakotaDome and be treated so poorly? Year after year, our players, fans, and even our marching band have had to deal with situations which just make you angry. So, why go there? I can list countless incidents where USD officials simply looked the other way when they should have stepped in to restore civility.

College rivalries are great things. Let's not allow classless stupidity, goofy insults, and bad behavior be the foundation for a new and exciting era.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                    Once upon a time, long ago, when animals could still talk. Little Jakcrabbit was out gathering wild beans for the coming winter. His neighbor, Bison, came down to graze in the meadow. This the Jackrabbit did not like, for he knew that Bison would mow down all the long grass with his prickly tongue, and there would be no place in which to hide. He made up his mind to fight and offer battle like a man.
                    "Ho, Friend Bison, Go Away! you cannot eat away all the grass here. I will have no place to hide. I challenge you to a fight!", he exclaimed.

Bison paid no attention, thinking it only a joke. Jackrabbit angrily repeated the challenge as loud as he could, and still Bsion went on quietly grazing. Then jackrabbit laughed with contempt as he again, repeated his bold challenge. The Bison at last looked at him and replied carelessly:

"You had better keep still, little one, or I shall come over there and step on you, and there will be nothing left but a flat spot on the grass!"

"You can't do it! "replied the Jackrabbit.

"I tell you to keep still,"insisted Bison, who was getting angry. "If you speak to me again, I shall certainly come and put an end to you! "

"I dare you to do it! "said the Jackrabbit, provoking him.

Whereby Bsion rushed upon him. He trampled the grass clumsily and tore up the earth with his front hoofs. When he had ended, he looked for the Jackrabbit, but he could not see him anywhere.

"I told you I would step on you and there would be nothing left!", he muttered.

Just then he felt a scratching inside his right ear. He shook his head as hard as he could, and twitched his ears back and forth. The gnawing went deeper and deeper until he was half wild with the pain. He pawed the ground with his hoofs and tore up the bushes with his horns. Bellowing madly, he ran as fast as he could. First he ran straight forward and then he ran in circles. At last he just stopped and stood there trembling. Then Jackrabbit jumped out of his ear, and said:

"Will you say now that I am your master? "

"No! "bellowed Bison, and again he started toward the Jackrabbit, as if to trample him under his feet but Little Jackrabbit was nowhere to be seen. As he looked about, Bison felt him in the other ear. Once more he became wild with pain, and ran here and there all over the prairie, kicking and bucking and leaping high in the air. At last he fell to the ground in a heap and lay still. Jackrabbit waited and at last, came out of his ear and stood proudly upon bison's dead body.

"Aho!", said he, "I have killed the greatest of all beasts. This will show all beings that I am master! "

Modified from "The Buffalo and the Field Mouse"
                    ~ a Native American Tale ~

ND Bison have big ears and we have some small pesky Jackrabbits!!
                    That is GREAT. It might make a good bedtime story for little rabbits!

Comment

I fully agree with Alumguy about this rivalry stuff, its has not been productive especially the SDSU-USD rivalry and we know what a trip to the DakotaDome is like. They usually run out of hotdogs.

This is why I posted Ed Hogan's letter to the Argus. Ed said a mouthful in three paragraphs.  I think there is nothing wrong in respecting our opponent in Fargo and likewise those north of the boarder respecting us in Brookings.  We just dont need to get carried away.  We have a common mission, and work hard to gether.

One other thing that most readers  on this board did probably did not  get a chance to read is an insert in the Print version of the Brooking Register that deals with Economic Developement.  The executive director in Brookings in his column gave a rather detailed explaination of the Research Park in Fargo and its ties with NDSU. Mention also was made of the recent new resident, Alien, the company relocation from California.
                      I thought Dick Smith the executive director gave the best explanation of the ALien technology.  This explaination was absent in most of the Fargo Forum articles that appeared when Alien choose Fargo. I guess the Forum was too joyous about the relocation that they never explained what Alien did and what potential it had for ND and NDSU or maybe I missed the explaination.

None the less SDSU and NDSU have more in common than athletic events and to foster these common interests and goals we dont need the sophmorish non-sense that McFeely put in his column.

PS. I do have a sense of humor, but these jokes are counter productive.

Comment

There are good and bad fans in all sports, towns and
                        universities. The problem we in Fargo have, is that our
                        idiotic bad fans have included media people including the
                        likes of Ed Schultz, The Kolpack brothers and McFeely.

Comment

I think the key difference in this rivalry is that the institutions actually respect each other unlike und-NDSU and USD-SDSU. I think some heated border battles will be fun though to crown THE best team in the Dakotas.

Comment

Its all a matter of how you interpert the statements. Only you can make yourself upset. I find the post by iasomebison humorous just as I find a similar post by RunninRabbit about USD, Augie, etc. humorous. I have no true dislike for NDSU, UND, Augie, etc..(I do truly dislike USD and always will) as institutions or for any of their fans.

There are much more important issues in life than a few comments on a chat board or in the newspaper. If the intent is to recruit fans who truely dislike opponents and would jeopardize the safety of athletes or fans than I have a problem. Certainly, iasomebison does not intend this. I can't speak for McFeely.

We should all be proud to be grads of SDSU and NDSU and continue to show support from a fan perspective and as contributors to the University and the Athletic dept. Athletics are a major contributor to the development of productive members of society in all occupations.

Keep the witty bantor going as long as it is with good intent i.e. to stimulate support and pride for the institutions, states and athletes and not with intent to harm.

Comment

I doubt a rivalry with NDSU/SDSU could ever get as intense as either in-state rivalry. Hopefully both NDSU and SDSU will push each other to improve their athletic programs. That's one of the greatest things that can result from a rivalry.

SDSUFAN,

The Fargodome should have a good supply of hotdogs for you ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X