USD's New FB Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USD's New FB Coach

Ed Mierkort is the new head coach at USD. Press Conference later today.

Re: USD's New FB Coach

He is the current coach at UW-Stout.  Here is a link to their media guide from this year.  Looks like he is a DWU grad '81 and a former SDSU grad assistant 1983!!

What do you fellas think about that?

http://www.uwstout.edu/athletics/football/fbyb2003.pdf
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

He's a D3 guy, I assume in 11 years he has some recruiting networks throughout Wisconsin. Look for the U to have a bunch of Wisconsin kids in the future. It doesnt really affect SDSU too much, I dont think we will be recruitiing against the u much in the future. As a Mitchell native the USD job probably had some appeal to get back "home". That would be the only "appealing" aspect to that job.

Comment

His overall record at UW-Stout, a NCAA D-III school, is 55-55.  Dosen't look like the coaching pool was knocking each other out of the way to get to this opening.   He did get his Masters at SDSU, so he can't be all bad.  

Go State!

Comment

I wonder if his past relationship (however small) with SDSU will help in getting usd to play the Jacks in the future.

Comment

His Stout team did make a trip west to play Augie this year, so maybe.

Go State!

Comment

I know nothing about coach Meierkort, but coach Currier of CSP has done a fantastic job bringing them to the top of the NSIC, with very few scholarships. He seems to be able to recruit. I know he applied for the Mn State job in 2002, but did not make the final round of candidates. I'd like to see what he could do with a full allotment of scholarships.

Comment

Freidel hired to coach at USD

Mike Freidel was named assistant head coach and defensive coordinator for the University South Dakota football program Friday.

The Armour native, who has been defensive coordinator and linebacker coach at Augustana since 1995, is new head coach Ed Meierkort's first hire. Freidel will begin his duties immediately.

This is the second time Freidel has been part of the South Dakota football program. During USD's 8-3 season in 1995, Freidel was defensive coordinator for a unit that led the North Central Conference in total defense (273.3 yards per game) and rushing defense (85.0 yards per game).

A 1979 graduate of Dakota State, where he was a standout linebacker for the Trojans, Freidel was defensive coordinator at Augustana for 16 seasons from 1985-93 and 1996-2003. In 2002, Augustana ranked third in total defense (311.1 yards per game) and second in rushing defense (104.0 yards per game) in the NCC.

Comment

Freidel is a a good coach and this a step in the righ direction.  There is another brother that coached at MSU-Mankato when Dan Runkle was the head coach.  I think the brother may have been there at MSU at the same time Meierkort was there as player and coach.  

In the 1970's and 1980's Armour had some state champs and there were two families often represented on their teams, the Tiefenthaler and Friedels.  It kind interesting that both Jeff and Kenny Tiefenthaler were SDSU grads, but the Friedels avoided SDSU entirely. I wonder why?  
                  Could Freidels be related to Fred Tibbetts? Dollars to Donuts they are good friends and share their perspective of SDSU.

Comment

I remember an Augie connection for the Friedels. Dan was an outstanding defensive back for the football team and Pat played guard for the Augie basketball team.

Comment

Yes I remember Pat as a Augie Doggie. BTW, Pat is no longer among the free and I believe he is doing time in Granite City, for  he messed up with one of his students where-ever he was teaching. Kind of sad case, even though the Freidels may not be oriented toward SDSU, they are none the less a nice family. People have told me that.  This was indeed a misfortune turn for Pat.

Comment

Wow, I hadn't heard that. I always got along with him and I remember that he was a pretty good guy.

Comment

I hope and pray Pat will be able to put his life back together again and he may be doing this already, as time flies for me and this incident may have happened 3 or 6 years ago.

Sometimes we make some very regretable mistakes, but once a person has paid his debt to society, you hope he would get his life back as a teacher and coach.

I know Pat understood the game of basketball very well and no doubt was doing a great job of coaching whereever he was. Seems like it was in that Tynall or Armour area. I would be guessing if I said any town.

When Pat dropped those threes for Augie, I used to go nuts as fan and curse Jim Thorson for not protecting the perimeter, but Augie seem to set good picks that made those shoots possible.  Augie has not been the same since Pat and Dana Grimsrud graduated and Bill Gross turned the reins over to Gary Thomas and then Perry Ford, who both were more or less canned.

Comment

You're bringing back some more memories! Wasn't Friedel in the same backcourt as Randy Leslie? Those guys were a terror. As I recall, in the late 80's the State-U rivalry took a back seat to the State-Augie games. In fact, I remember Thorson getting hit in the head with a head of lettuce at the Sioux Falls Arena.

Also, Augie beat State in the recruiting war for Darwin Clausen (was that his name?). Clausen was a farmboy from Iowa who chose Augie because of the school's, in his own words, great "ag programs" : : I suppose it didn't hurt that his cousin had played for Augie.

Comment

Crashola:
                              You are right, Randy Leslie and I could not remember him, but there was later or about the same time Dana Grimsrud who with Friedel and Leslie were perimeter shooters. Grimsrud was later an assistant to Belliter at NDSU, and I thought he would follow Billiter to Augie again, but apparently the money was not there.

At any rate Friedel and Leslie had the same moves and look like twins. Give Bill Gross credit, he had a good weave that fit those guys and the inside guys who could make those necessary picks legally.

Yes, Claussen the Geek, who can forget him. I understand, it was the fact that Brookings had no tV station but Sioux Falls did that he chose Augie. Ma and Pa would have to make that long journey to Brookings to see their son play. ;D :

I believe his parents were only about 40 miles from SF.  The Geek was a joke in my book, and we did not miss anything by letting him get away.

The sadest thing I have seen as far as coaching was the last year Gross coached and had back problems. Gary Thomas was in charge and had a great bunch of seniors who had played a great deal, but for their final year they could care crap about Augie or winning. I saw them lose to a crappy UNO team and poor Thomas had no control whatsoever and they were snickering at him in the timeout huddle. I would have given some of those guys my size nine in the rear to get their attention. Augie has sucked since that year.

And now about the new USD coach................
                              we are kind of off topic

Comment

Working...
                              X