1935 Football Player Has passed away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1935 Football Player Has passed away

We have talked a great deal about SDSU' s biggest win and in Football, the 1935 win over the Big 10 Wisconsin Badgers has to be at the top of the list.  Many of the players on that squad are no longer among the living and we just recently lost another one, Ron Ringsrud.

Here is his obituary from today's Sioux Falls Argus.

Col. Ronald Ringsrud
    Milledgeville
    01/06/04

Milledgeville, GA - Col. Ronald Ringsrud, 89, of Milledgeville, GA, died Monday, January 5, 2004. Funeral services will be Wednesday, January 7, 2004 at 7:00 PM at Williams Funeral Home Chapel, Milledgeville, with Vicar Phil Larsen and Dr. Harold Lawrence officiating.

Col. Ringsrud was a native of Iowa. He had made his home in Elk Point and Deadwood, SD, and had lived in Milledgeville, GA for several years. His career included service in the Military, business and in Government. He served as an Officer in the U.S. Army during WWII, Korean Conflict, and in Vietnam. Subsequent to WWII, eight years of his service was in Military Intelligence as Chief of Soviet Ground Force order of battle section at both Headquarters, United States Army Europe, and in the Pentagon under the AC of S, G2, Intelligence, United States Army.

Survivors include his wife, Dorothy Polley Ringsrud of Milledgeville, GA; sons, Rian Ringsrud of Milledgeville, GA, and Ronald Ringsrud of Saratoga, CA; sisters, Helen England of Oakland, CA; and four grandchildren, Rian II, Ashley, Eric and Thomas.

In lieu of flowers, the family requests expressions of sympathy be made to Hope Lutheran Church in Milledgeville or to the South Dakota State University in Brookings, SD.

Williams Funeral Home and Crematory of Milledgeville is in charge of arrangements

Copyright 2003 Argus Leader. All rights reserved

USA Today  |  USA Weekend  |  Gannett Co. Inc.  |  Gannett Foundation  |  PheasantCountry.com

Re: 1935 Football Player Has passed away

Always sad when a fellow Alum leaves this world.   My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.  It is very nice of Col. Ringsrud and his family to think of SDSU.  

I don't know Col. Ringsrud, but I am sure he would think it was great that we are remembering his life and the Big victory that his 1935 Jackrabbits scored over the Wisconsin Badgers.

Comment

Concerning the 1935 win over the Badgers, I am wondering if some Jacks football fan has ever accessed newspaper articles concerning that game......it must have caused a stir in South Dakota and throughout the Midwest. Realizing that most of the gentlemen from SDSU that played on that team are getting up in years, it would still be great to hear some first-hand reminiscing from Jackrabbits involved in that upset.

Comment

MSU ALum
        Look under the category Other, I started a thread about a book that the ALumni Assocation just published called College on the Hill, it has a chapter on the 1935 season and win.

Comment

Working...
        X