Great Western Conf.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Western Conf.

What do you guys think about the Great Western?

http://www.freewebs.com/great_western_conf/index.htm

It is starting to look like home to me.

Go Blue!

Re: Great Western Conf.

I'm excited about the possibilities with the new conference, I don't think it will take a long time to distinguish this conference as a tough 1AA league. It would be fun to hold a champions game with the Big Sky to decide Western supremacy at some point, although I'm not sure how that could be done with the playoffs. Even though there is a lot of geography to this conference It wont be dramatically different than if we were in the Big Sky. The "Great Western" is a cool name, I was also thinking "Western Pacific". I have a feeling that we will find out in the next 3 weeks about a name, and hopefully that we will be joining it in 2004.
    Go Rabbitts

Comment

I have been chating with folks from some of the other schools and they are pumped up too. A couple of guys from USD are talking like they would like their school to look into joining. That of course would be the University of San Diego (The Toreros). How cool would it be to play another USD. It would be like rubbing salt in the Coyotes wounds every year when the news media covered the game.

Go State!

Comment

That would be awesome (they already play 1aa football-non scholarship) That would be a great conference for them if they should want to upgrade their program-they are already travelling to the Midwest to play the Drakes,and Valpos of the world. It would also be a lot more fun going to San Diego rather than Vermillion to play. I love the USD connection.

Comment

That is what my Torero pals and I have been talking about.   They are getting a new AD. So what they want to do is make a push for scholarships and getting out of the PFL and into the Great Western.  Their drive is they want to have a chance at the playoffs.  Don't know how much clout they have, but it is fun to talk about.  San Diego would be a much better road trip!   ;D

Comment

The formation of the new conference should hopefully add some weight, and influence their decision to move up
            Go Rabbitts

Comment

As far as this conference I believe its still nameless. The good fans at Bisonville have come up with this name.  Once all the adminsitrators come to gather and form this conference, it may have a different name.  I guess for now the name is okay. Being speculative fans is what these message boards are all about.

Last month, while at coffee in Brookings one of the people in the group thought the travel for this conference was outrageous, but I told him, SDSU has had to travel Bellingham Washington and Oregan this year to fill the schedule if we stay D2. So why not travel a little more? This guy kind of shut up and did not say anymore.

Travel is not the big of an expense item as people think.
              But SDSU is going to have to promote locally more to get more people interested. The big traget will need to be Sioux Falls.

St. Mary's appears to have a very small football facility. This was one of the big foes for Fordham College in the 1930's when Vince Lombardi played for Fordham according to his biography. Fordham and St. Mary's used to fill the Polo Grounds in the big Apple. The Polo Grounds has since been torn down, but it used to seat about 100,000. This was before Television. Also St. Mary's has made bowl appearences, like the Sugur Bowl I believe. So they have an interesting past, but will need to upgrade their facilities very soon I would think.

Comment

You are right the name is tentative, but we have to call it something. St. Mary's is another school I was talking with last night. They have indeed been in some bowl games in the distant past. They won a Cotton Bowl by beating Texas Tech.

Go State!

Comment

I think the likeliness of us going this way is high. I think we can be competitive right away in the GWC.

Comment

News about the Great Western from UC-Davis land:

http://www.davisenterprise.com/artic...g62f7v5eGAkXIf

Go State!

Comment

Late in the 4th Qtr. UNC leads Montana St. 14-10! Go Bears! ;D

SDSU getting ready for I AA!

Comment

UNC did it they beat Montana St. 14-10! (Montana St. lost to Cal Poly last week, two in a row to the Great Western)! I think with this win and NDSU's win over Montana we can safely say that we will be ok with our move up to I AA! Congrats to the Bears.

Go State!

Comment

Great Western Conference Standings
                          September 18, 2003
                          Ranked by overall record
                          Northern Colorado 4-1 0-0
                          Cal Poly 3-1 0-0
                          North Dakota State 3-1 1-1
                          South Dakota State 2-2 0-1
                          UC Davis 1-2 1-0
                          Southern Utah 1-3 0-0
                          St. Mary's 0-4 0-0
                          1-1 vs. IA
                          5-7 vs. IAA
                          6-4 vs. II

Sat, Sep. 27 Scores
                          North Dakota State 24, South Dakota State 0
                          Nothern Colorado 14, Montana State 10
                          Northern Arizona 24, Cal Poly 7
                          Western Washington 42, St. Mary's 35
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Good stuff filbert. Wow St. Mary's is bad! Kind of the Morningside of the new leauge.

Go SDSU, I AA all the way!

Comment

Today Western Oregon plays Southern Utah (one of the I-AA schools that has been talked about as being in our new football Conf., The Great Western). It will be interesting to see how this game turns out. A measuring stick of sorts.

Thunderbirds Host Western Oregon

Southern Utah stays home this week to begin a three-game homestand against Western Oregon. The Thunderbirds will spend all of October at home, with the second of two bye weeks scheduled for Oct. 25 following games against WOU, Texas State (formerly Southwest Texas State) and McNeese State.
                              The Thunderbirds (1-3) are coming off a bye week that was preceded by a 49-21 loss at Eastern Washington. In the loss at EWU the Thunderbirds struggled with a slow start, giving up 21 first-quarter points, and although they got stronger as the game went on they were never able to overcome that initial deficit.
                              Western Oregon (2-2) opened the season 2-0 but has suffered back-to-back setbacks coming into Saturday’s game, including a 29-21 home loss to Mesa State last week. The Wolves opened with a 23-22 win at Humboldt State and followed that with a 23-20 home decision over Western Washington but suffered their first defeat at the hands of South Dakota State (37-10) before falling to Mesa.

The Game: Western Oregon (2-2) at Southern Utah (1-3), 7:00 p.m. (Mountain), Eccles Coliseum (8,500/Grass).

Go South Dakota State!

Comment

Working...
                              X