Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O Coordinator Eidsness to interview with SMSU

http://stjoenewspress.1upsoftware.co...rticleID=48734

Just saw this on D2football.com, any comments?

Re: O Coordinator Eidsness to interview with SMSU

I have gotten to know Eric Eidness through golf outings sponsored by the SDSU Alumni Association. Eric is a very likeable person. Some what on the quiet side, but knows his offense.  He has accompolished a great deal with the past two quarterbacks Fjeldhiem and Nelson. He can come up with plays when we need something new. I really would hate to see him leave  SDSU, but at the same time I would happy for an advancement. Salaries for SDSU assistants are not what they are at let say NDSU. So the good ones are going to be looking for better opportunities.

At the Southwest site they have a Adobe file covering the the three finalist.  The third candidate is John Pate a defensive coordinator at Georgia Southern, and he may be the best choice based on experience.  
    Either way I wish Eric the best.

Comment

Coach Eidsness interviews on Wednesday, Jan. 14th. Word on the street is that he is the leading candidate. Neither of the other candidates is currently a coordinator. The guy from Missouri apparently was a coordinator, but was stripped of the title. His Asst. Head coach title was more to ease the pain of being removed of coordinator duties.

Coach Eidsness has great ties through the five state area with other college coaches and has developed some great recruiting inroads. I would hate to lose someone of his caliber, but it's always great to see our assistant coaches have a chance to run their own program.

Good luck to Coach Eidsness.

Comment

well...........what's the latest???

Comment

The interview was for Eidness was yesterday. I did not find a press release on a hiring decision. I suspect it may be a couple of days at least before that decision is announced.

Comment

Looks like the final interview was today. I would suspect sometime early next week there will be a decision and an announcement.

Marshall, MN: Marshall, MN: Southwest Minnesota State University director of athletics Butch Raymond announced on Wednesday that three candidates have been invited to the Marshall campus as finalists in its search for a new head football coach.

The finalists include Les Boyum, offensive line/assistant head coach at Missouri Western State College, Eric Eidsness, offensive coordinator/assistant head coach at South Dakota State University and John Pate, defensive line coach at Georgia Southern University. All three candidates will be on campus next week, with Pate on Tuesday, January 13, Eidsness on Wednesday, January 14, and Boyum on Thursday, January 15. All three will have an open session with the Mustang Booster Club on the day of their of interview. Time and location of each session will be announced later this week.

“We’re very pleased with the quality of our finalists,” said Raymond. “The selection committee put in numer-ous hours and did an outstanding job during this process.”

Raymond said the selection committee reviewed the files of over 50 candidates who met the minimum quali-fications. The committee had phone interviews with six candidates and selected three for interviews on cam-pus. Each of the candidates will be on campus next week for interviews with the search committee, members of the team and university administration.

Comment

Marshall, MN: A press conference is scheduled for 12 p.m. on Wednesday, January 21 to announce the new head volleyball and football coach at Southwest Minnesota State University. The press conference will be held at the east end of the R/A Facility on the university campus.

The conference will include comments by SMSU director of athletics Butch Raymond and the new volleyball and football coach. The new volleyball coach will be the fourth in school history while the football coach will be the ninth.

The public is invited to attend.

Comment

Look for Coach Eidsness to be named the new head coach of the Southwest State Mustangs.

Again, you hate to lose a coach of this caliber, but it's great to see SDSU's assistants move on to take over their own programs (see Matt Margenthaler).

Go State! Go Mustangs!

Comment

http://www.southwest.msus.edu/athlet...snessNamed.pdf

Coach Eidsness is moving on. Good luck to him.

Lets hope that Stig is able to find a capable replacement at this time of year.

Comment

No doubt about it, its a bag of mixed emotions. Eric has served us well, but am happy that Butch Raymond sees him as a coach who can take SWMU to a higher level.

l not sure who if anyone on the current staff can step in and take Eric's spot. During Stigs era it seems staff openings have lead to better replacements, such as Karl Ballard, and Doug McFadden on Defense. I would rate those two over the people they replaced.

I always felt that Stig was put in kind of a awkward spot back in 1996 when he was hired. The people and the budget he had to start off were not that great. The other candidate Mike Breske now at Wyoming could not interview until UNC won the D2 championship, and by then everyone on campus had made up their mind about who should be head coach. The circumstances rob Stig of weeks needed in finding a good staff and the initial staff was little more than average.

Gradually, Stig has found the assistants that help compliment his program. I see the replacement of Eric Eidness to do the same.

I thing going to D1AA will help bring in the candidates for Offensive co-ordinator. We should not have a problem here in finding a replacement.

Comment

Good luck to Coach Eidsness and Southwest State....I hope he can turn the Mustang program around. I recall when they had Loots at QB back in the early 90's I believe. A very good passing offense. I know the Jacks program will miss a coach of his caliber, but it is good to see deserving personnel get a chance to run their own show.

Comment

From the Argus:

From Staff & Wire Reports

published: 1/22/2004

REGIONAL

SW Minnesota St. hires Eidsness

MARSHALL, Minn. - Eric Eidsness, the offensive coordinator at South Dakota State for the last five seasons, was named football coach at Southwest Minnesota State University on Wednesday.

Eidsness replaces Curt Strasheim - who resigned after the 2003 season.

Under Eidsness, SDSU's offense broke 36 school records and boasted 20 North Central Conference offensive players of the week. A native of Sioux Falls, Eidsness played one season at St. Cloud State in 1988 and three at the University of Sioux Falls from 1989-91.

Southwest State went 3-8 last season.

Good Luck Coach Eidsness! Go Jackrabbits!

Comment

Good Luck Coach Eidness...... hopefully we will get another great Offensive coordinator....... Go Jacks...
                          http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

I had a chance to talk to Coach Pate this past weekend. He said he was offered the SMSU job, but felt the situation wasn't right for him. Good news for us!

It could have been a major blow to our program to lose a coach like him. The man is a recruiting machine. Over the past few years, we have signed many players we had no business signing...several national top 100 players, many of which turned down scholarship offers from schools in the SEC, ACC, Big-10, C-USA, etc. No wonder he is our recruiting coordinator.

Comment

When Pate said the situation was not right, he probably meant that he was getting more money at GSU as a staff coach then what he would have gotten at SWMU as head coach.  Besides it gets to cold up this way. I imagine he got a taste of that too.

Eaglemania:
                              Does Coach Pate have any upper midwest connections such as family, grew up here or anything like that?

Other that the head coach at Minn State-Mankato who came from Arkansas, we have seen few candidates from the South or Deep south, probably because it seems like a long way from home, its cold and the salaries are not that great.

Comment

Working...
                              X