X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have tentative 2004 Jackrabbits' sched

?

Re: Does anyone have tentative 2004 Jackrabbits' s

The schedule is not out yet but it contains the following confirmed games.
    Cal-Davis
    NDSU
    Augie
    Georgia Southern
    Montana St.
    I dont know the dates or home/away status. The official schedule should be out after the first of the year.

On a personal note, I hope we put Cal-Poly on the schedule next year, I would definetly make that trip to San Luis Obispo for the weekend. and I also hope we can get a Southland conf. game with Stephen F. Austin, Sam Houston St. or NW Lousiana St.
    It is finally fun to discuss scheduling and possible opponets at the D1AA level, insted of the same old games every year.

Comment

Are Georgia Southern and Montana State done deals?  If so, that would be great, I hadn't heard that the paperwork was done yet.

Go State!

P.S. Welcome Lurking_Dog, are you a Yote fan (if you are it is ok)? Nice to have you on the board.

Comment

I heard they were confirmed- I can't say it is 100% though.

Comment

Sorry about the skepticism.  Its the salesmen in me, no deal is done until you have contracts in hand.   I have also heard that we are talking with UNI and I would think UNC would show up on our schedule again.

Go Blue!

Comment

I'm a Drake fan.

The Bulldogs always have trouble filling their schedule, particularly the second week in November. Since South Dakota State has (or had) many open dates, I was wondering if Drake will be a future opponent.

Drake is I-AA, without scholarships; Eighty percent of the roster is made up of freshmen and sophmores. Especially with injuries this season, I think our current talent level is closer to USD's. Nonetheless, South Dakota State might make a good home-home for a couple of years. We used to play you prior to 1970.

www.geocities.com/lurkingd/

Comment

Lurking Dog,
              I'm glad your on the board, I've always had questions about the D1AA (non scholarship) classification. Dont schools in this classification more closely resemble D3?
              Are schools in the Pioneer conf. playoff eligible? When I follow the scores for 1AA it seems like Drake travels quite a lot for football, I know that giving scholarships are expensive but has there been any talk of moving away from this classification? I would think that with the increasing visibility of 1AA, there would be an abundance of games for you in the midwest. I guess I dont completely understand why this classification exists. Because its not "truly"1AA football. I would assume that most D2 schools would be better talent wise than Non scholarship 1AA-I dont mean any disrespect by that, its just an observation, and lastly when counting up points for playoff eligibility at the end of the season, do non scholarship schools count as many as scholarship programs? Or do they count at all?
              Anyway, I know thats a lot of questions, but I know I need some education in this area, welcome again to the board.
              Texas

Comment

I think I know the answear to some of the questions.  Correct me if I am wrong Lerking_Dog.  I-AA Non-Scholarship Schools (or Mid-Majors in I-AA lingo) are playoff eligible (however no Mid-Major has ever made the Playoff).  Playing a Mid-Major does count as a I-AA game, they could however, hurt your strength of schedule for playoff purposes.  This of course would not matter to us until we are playoff eligible in 2009.  So I say lets play Drake, sounds good to me.  

Go SDSU!

Comment

>>Dont schools in this classification more closely resemble D3?>>

No. Drake, Morehead State, and San Diego are more similar to Creighton, Eastern Kentucky, and Gonzaga than to Simpson, Chowan, and Occidental.

If you're talking about the level of football competitiveness, the answer is more complex.

For example, Division III Wisconsin-LaCrosse beat South Dakota this year. That's about Drake's talent level at the moment, so draw your own conclusions. But I wouldn't say the Coyotes play Division III football.

You might also want to look at some programs with winning records. Morehead State probably should have beaten Appalachian State on the road this year. I don't know what level of football you would ascribe to Morehead State, but they're drawing more fans and losing less money than when they were in the OVC.

>>has there been any talk of moving away from this classification?>>

They are classified I-AA. The NCAA does not recognize any classifications called "I-AA non-scholarship" or "I-AA mid-major."

Did you intend to ask whether the PFL is considering athletic-related financial aid? I'm confident the answer is no.

>>I would think that with the increasing visibility of 1AA, there would be an abundance of games for you in the midwest.>>

Road games are available from Gateway opponents, for limited dates. To get home-home, Drake often needs to drop a level or two. Even St. Mary's got 2-for-1.

>>playoff eligibility...>>

No one on the selection committee has actually said "we don't take non-scholarship teams." The NCAA would quickly find itself in court. But it's clear they have no intention of taking any of the so-called mid-majors.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurking_Dog
                    >>

For example, Division III Wisconsin-LaCrosse beat South Dakota this year.  That's about Drake's talent level at the moment, so draw your own conclusions.  But I wouldn't say the Coyotes play Division III football.
                    You might not say USD plays D-III football, but we might!
                    ;D  Of course that has nothing to do with Drake or their talent level.

Go Jackrabbits!

Comment

Thanks for the info. Lurking Dog, You cleared up my questions, The 2 for 1 games make sense. I have seen in the past Pioneer conf. teams jump up and bite some scholarship 1AA teams. There was a while (I'm not sure how long ago) that Cal-Davis didnt offer scholarships for football at the D2 level. I'm not sure if we will play football in the future, but I'm quite sure we will meet on the basketball court on a regular basis due to our locations. I'm looking forward to establishing a good rivalry with Drake, Creighton, and UNI.
                      Dont be a stranger.
                      Texas

Comment

Lerking, or anyone for that matter,
                        UCD used to say they did not offer scholarships but
                        offered , I think they worded it, "grants in aid". Stupid
                        question I know, but have never heard how grants in
                        aid or athletic related financial aid differs from a
                        scholarship. Don't all three offer financial aid to
                        an athlete?. Help me out.

Comment

Re: financial aid

I don't live far from Davis, but I don't know their history.

I believe true athletic scholarships were replaced years ago by one-year, renewable grants. In I-AA, each athlete may receive the maximum aid allowed (a so-called full-ride) or a partial grant. The term "scholarship" lives on with the sports media, but the NCAA measures athletic aid in terms of full-ride equivancies. For example, four 1/4 scholarships equal 1 equivalency. Limit in I-AA is 63 equivalencies.

Browse Article 15.5 in the NCAA by-laws, and you'll see what I'm talking about: http://www.ncaa.org/library/membersh...anual/2001-02/

Generally, I think I-AA schools use a combination of three financial aid approaches--

1. full scholarships

2. partial scholarships...also called packaged aid or grants...the Patriot League calls their aid "need-based," although it's acutally based on athletic ability first and need second (players lose the money if they quit the team). Patriot League teams approach the maximum of 85 "counters" (scholarship recipients) and typically have 50-55 equivancies:

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/a...articleid=1683

3. Need-based aid--or, to use a more negative term "non-scholarship." In other words, no aid based on athletic ability. This is shorthand for the same type of aid available to anyone. The athletic department doesn't give anything to the athlete....a variety of programs, from D-III to the Ivy League, fall into this category (Ivies give VERY generous need-based aid).

Drake is a "need-based" program. St. Mary's reportedly has 16 equivalencies (most probably not full-rides), and the rest get need-based aid:
                          http://www.mcall.com/sports/all-rein...all-sports-hed

That's all folks. It's late, even in my time zone.

Comment

Lurking Dog

I am only speaking for myself here but I believe SDSU is in the process of trying to schedule D1 schools for all sports and the most prestigous in terms of sucess seems to be what we are after. I.e Georgia Southern. That said, I could see SDSU talking to Drake for football contingent on getting a basketball contract for men and women, baseball and other sports that Drake may have to offer at the D1 level.

I personally wonder about the Non-scholarship D1AA football programs. It seems hard to compete with out the scholly's. SDSU has played Drake in the past, but that was prior to 1985, when Drake still had scholarships.

Your prior post kind of open my eyes how St Mary's program is working. They have had a tough time with Western Washington UCD and other D2 schools and now I know why.

You would hope Drake would move back to scholarships for football. Given that, UNI, SDSU and NDSU would be regular opponents in the future. Travel costs to Drake would be reasonable and we got a bunch alums in Des Moines and surrounding area.

Comment

Re: aid

Drake is in no position to bring back scholarships. Tuition is up 3x since 1985. They would have to sell professors for medical experiments to even get up to St. Mary's aid level.

Speaking of SMC, what's this talk of putting the Gaels in a football league with SDSU, Cal Poly, etc.? They don't seem to fit, do they?

Comment

Working...
                              X