PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have tentative 2004 Jackrabbits' sched

Lurking_Dog
11-06-2003, 10:13 AM
?

Texas_Jacks_Fan
11-06-2003, 10:48 AM
The schedule is not out yet but it contains the following confirmed games.
Cal-Davis
NDSU
Augie
Georgia Southern
Montana St.
I dont know the dates or home/away status. The official schedule should be out after the first of the year.

On a personal note, I hope we put Cal-Poly on the schedule next year, I would definetly make that trip to San Luis Obispo for the weekend. and I also hope we can get a Southland conf. game with Stephen F. Austin, Sam Houston St. or NW Lousiana St.
It is finally fun to discuss scheduling and possible opponets at the D1AA level, insted of the same old games every year.

89rabbit
11-06-2003, 11:37 AM
Are Georgia Southern and Montana State done deals? If so, that would be great, I hadn't heard that the paperwork was done yet.

Go State!

P.S. Welcome Lurking_Dog, are you a Yote fan (if you are it is ok)? Nice to have you on the board.

Texas_Jacks_Fan
11-06-2003, 11:40 AM
I heard they were confirmed- I can't say it is 100% though.

89rabbit
11-06-2003, 11:50 AM
Sorry about the skepticism. Its the salesmen in me, no deal is done until you have contracts in hand. ;) I have also heard that we are talking with UNI and I would think UNC would show up on our schedule again.

Go Blue!

Lurking_Dog
11-06-2003, 01:57 PM
I'm a Drake fan.

The Bulldogs always have trouble filling their schedule, particularly the second week in November. Since South Dakota State has (or had) many open dates, I was wondering if Drake will be a future opponent.

Drake is I-AA, without scholarships; Eighty percent of the roster is made up of freshmen and sophmores. Especially with injuries this season, I think our current talent level is closer to USD's. Nonetheless, South Dakota State might make a good home-home for a couple of years. We used to play you prior to 1970.

www.geocities.com/lurkingd/

Texas_Jacks_Fan
11-06-2003, 02:27 PM
Lurking Dog,
I'm glad your on the board, I've always had questions about the D1AA (non scholarship) classification. Dont schools in this classification more closely resemble D3?
Are schools in the Pioneer conf. playoff eligible? When I follow the scores for 1AA it seems like Drake travels quite a lot for football, I know that giving scholarships are expensive but has there been any talk of moving away from this classification? I would think that with the increasing visibility of 1AA, there would be an abundance of games for you in the midwest. I guess I dont completely understand why this classification exists. Because its not "truly"1AA football. I would assume that most D2 schools would be better talent wise than Non scholarship 1AA-I dont mean any disrespect by that, its just an observation, and lastly when counting up points for playoff eligibility at the end of the season, do non scholarship schools count as many as scholarship programs? Or do they count at all?
Anyway, I know thats a lot of questions, but I know I need some education in this area, welcome again to the board.
Texas

89rabbit
11-06-2003, 03:01 PM
I think I know the answear to some of the questions. Correct me if I am wrong Lerking_Dog. I-AA Non-Scholarship Schools (or Mid-Majors in I-AA lingo) are playoff eligible (however no Mid-Major has ever made the Playoff). Playing a Mid-Major does count as a I-AA game, they could however, hurt your strength of schedule for playoff purposes. This of course would not matter to us until we are playoff eligible in 2009. So I say lets play Drake, sounds good to me.

Go SDSU!

Lurking_Dog
11-06-2003, 03:09 PM
>>Dont schools in this classification more closely resemble D3?>>

No. Drake, Morehead State, and San Diego are more similar to Creighton, Eastern Kentucky, and Gonzaga than to Simpson, Chowan, and Occidental.

If you're talking about the level of football competitiveness, the answer is more complex.

For example, Division III Wisconsin-LaCrosse beat South Dakota this year. That's about Drake's talent level at the moment, so draw your own conclusions. But I wouldn't say the Coyotes play Division III football.

You might also want to look at some programs with winning records. Morehead State probably should have beaten Appalachian State on the road this year. I don't know what level of football you would ascribe to Morehead State, but they're drawing more fans and losing less money than when they were in the OVC.

>>has there been any talk of moving away from this classification?>>

They are classified I-AA. The NCAA does not recognize any classifications called "I-AA non-scholarship" or "I-AA mid-major."

Did you intend to ask whether the PFL is considering athletic-related financial aid? I'm confident the answer is no.

>>I would think that with the increasing visibility of 1AA, there would be an abundance of games for you in the midwest.>>

Road games are available from Gateway opponents, for limited dates. To get home-home, Drake often needs to drop a level or two. Even St. Mary's got 2-for-1.

>>playoff eligibility...>>

No one on the selection committee has actually said "we don't take non-scholarship teams." The NCAA would quickly find itself in court. But it's clear they have no intention of taking any of the so-called mid-majors.

89rabbit
11-06-2003, 03:16 PM
>>

For example, Division III Wisconsin-LaCrosse beat South Dakota this year. That's about Drake's talent level at the moment, so draw your own conclusions. But I wouldn't say the Coyotes play Division III football.

You might not say USD plays D-III football, but we might!
;) :o ;D Of course that has nothing to do with Drake or their talent level.

Go Jackrabbits!

Texas_Jacks_Fan
11-06-2003, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the info. Lurking Dog, You cleared up my questions, The 2 for 1 games make sense. I have seen in the past Pioneer conf. teams jump up and bite some scholarship 1AA teams. There was a while (I'm not sure how long ago) that Cal-Davis didnt offer scholarships for football at the D2 level. I'm not sure if we will play football in the future, but I'm quite sure we will meet on the basketball court on a regular basis due to our locations. I'm looking forward to establishing a good rivalry with Drake, Creighton, and UNI.
Dont be a stranger.
Texas

dnk
11-06-2003, 09:30 PM
Lerking, or anyone for that matter,
UCD used to say they did not offer scholarships but
offered , I think they worded it, "grants in aid". Stupid
question I know, but have never heard how grants in
aid or athletic related financial aid differs from a
scholarship. Don't all three offer financial aid to
an athlete?. Help me out.

Lurking_Dog
11-07-2003, 12:05 AM
I don't live far from Davis, but I don't know their history.

I believe true athletic scholarships were replaced years ago by one-year, renewable grants. In I-AA, each athlete may receive the maximum aid allowed (a so-called full-ride) or a partial grant. The term "scholarship" lives on with the sports media, but the NCAA measures athletic aid in terms of full-ride equivancies. For example, four 1/4 scholarships equal 1 equivalency. Limit in I-AA is 63 equivalencies.

Browse Article 15.5 in the NCAA by-laws, and you'll see what I'm talking about: http://www.ncaa.org/library/membership/division_i_manual/2001-02/

Generally, I think I-AA schools use a combination of three financial aid approaches--

1. full scholarships

2. partial scholarships...also called packaged aid or grants...the Patriot League calls their aid "need-based," although it's acutally based on athletic ability first and need second (players lose the money if they quit the team). Patriot League teams approach the maximum of 85 "counters" (scholarship recipients) and typically have 50-55 equivancies:

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=1683

3. Need-based aid--or, to use a more negative term "non-scholarship." In other words, no aid based on athletic ability. This is shorthand for the same type of aid available to anyone. The athletic department doesn't give anything to the athlete....a variety of programs, from D-III to the Ivy League, fall into this category (Ivies give VERY generous need-based aid).

Drake is a "need-based" program. St. Mary's reportedly has 16 equivalencies (most probably not full-rides), and the rest get need-based aid:
http://www.mcall.com/sports/all-reinhardoct11,0,2534037.column?coll=all-sports-hed

That's all folks. It's late, even in my time zone.

SDSUFAN
11-07-2003, 05:32 AM
Lurking Dog

I am only speaking for myself here but I believe SDSU is in the process of trying to schedule D1 schools for all sports and the most prestigous in terms of sucess seems to be what we are after. I.e Georgia Southern. That said, I could see SDSU talking to Drake for football contingent on getting a basketball contract for men and women, baseball and other sports that Drake may have to offer at the D1 level.

I personally wonder about the Non-scholarship D1AA football programs. It seems hard to compete with out the scholly's. SDSU has played Drake in the past, but that was prior to 1985, when Drake still had scholarships.

Your prior post kind of open my eyes how St Mary's program is working. They have had a tough time with Western Washington UCD and other D2 schools and now I know why.

You would hope Drake would move back to scholarships for football. Given that, UNI, SDSU and NDSU would be regular opponents in the future. Travel costs to Drake would be reasonable and we got a bunch alums in Des Moines and surrounding area.

Lurking_Dog
11-07-2003, 07:40 AM
Drake is in no position to bring back scholarships. Tuition is up 3x since 1985. They would have to sell professors for medical experiments to even get up to St. Mary's aid level.

Speaking of SMC, what's this talk of putting the Gaels in a football league with SDSU, Cal Poly, etc.? They don't seem to fit, do they?

Texas_Jacks_Fan
11-07-2003, 07:54 AM
They would be the "odd" program for sure, but they do play 1AA football, and are an independant school who apparently saw the advantages of being in a western conf. You are correct from a talent/size standpoint they will be the underdog. They have played a number of D2 schools that took it to them pretty good this year. but who knows, they may make more of a committment to competing in the future. I am anxious to play them out there, Their campus is in the bay area and is very picturesqe
PS. I had a couple of professors at SDSU that would have been perfectly suited for medical experiments, so thats not a bad idea. ;D

89rabbit
11-07-2003, 08:04 AM
Drake is in no position to bring back scholarships. Tuition is up 3x since 1985. They would have to sell professors for medical experiments to even get up to St. Mary's aid level.

Speaking of SMC, what's this talk of putting the Gaels in a football league with SDSU, Cal Poly, etc.? They don't seem to fit, do they?

Lurking_Dog,

Here is a web site that might shed some light on the Great Western Conf. (as it is being called by the fans). Not all of the information is 100% correct but it is a nice place to start. One of our friends from NDSU set up the site. Hope this helps.

http://www.freewebs.com/great_western_conf/index.htm

Go SDSU!

bisonguy
11-07-2003, 09:44 AM
UC-Davis used to give athletes a $2000-3000 stipend, whereas a year at UC-Davis is well over $20,000. One of the Aggie fans mentioned it on the anygivensaturday or bisonville boards.

Texas_Jacks_Fan
11-07-2003, 10:51 AM
Cal -Davis is kind of the "Stanford" of the California university system. From what I've heard it is the hardest to get into and a degree from Davis is the most prestigious in the state. I do need to add that most of my sources for that info. are Davis grads. so take it for what its worth. They will be the "ivy" school in the Great Western conference, if it is formed.

Lurking_Dog
11-07-2003, 01:10 PM
**Cal -Davis is kind of the "Stanford" of the California university system. From what I've heard it is the hardest to get into and a degree from Davis is the most prestigious in the state.**

I'm sure Berkeley and UCLA grads will chuckle at that one. :D

11-07-2003, 05:08 PM
Lurking Dog.......I found your posts about Drake interesting, as it is a school I know little about, even though I live in southern Minnesota. If I'm not mistaken, didn't Drake once play major college football (back in the 30, 40, and 50's)? What caused them to drop down? Also, how large is Drake's stadium, and do you know the present enrollment of the school?

Lurking_Dog
11-07-2003, 06:44 PM
It looks like Drake's enrollment is about 3,200/5,200 (undergraduate/undergrad + graduate students).

Yes, the Bulldogs played major college football until about 1960, when DU football joined the College Division (what became Divisions II and III). Drake had some problems with the Missouri Valley Conference during the '51 season and left MVC football for 20 years.

Meanwhile, other Drake sports competed at the major college level, with men's basketball going to the Final Four in 1969.

Football returned to the major college level as a D-I squad in the early '70s. Drake was dropped to I-AA for the 1982 season after failure to meet attendance requirements.

Attendance dropped further in I-AA, and football was dropped after the 1985 season, because it was losing too much money.

Drake's nonscholarship program played its first official game in 1987....and if you want to know more, you might want to look at this:
http://www.geocities.com/lurkingd/drake_history.html

Drake Stadium seats 18,000. A planned renovation will reduce the seating capacity by about 3,000.
http://www.drakestadium.org/

MSU ALUM, I'm guessing that you're a Northern Sun fan. Any insight on whether new D-II member Upper Iowa is joining your conference? Doesn't the NSIC have a limit of about 25 scholarships?

Lurking_Dog
11-08-2003, 01:04 PM
Drake 20, St. Mary's 13.

Can you help us raise about $1.5 million for 63 scholarships? If so, maybe we'll join your league.

Sure, that's a lot of money, but you won't have to travel very far. ;)

11-09-2003, 11:59 AM
Lurking Dog: actually, I am a Minnesota State grad/fan (formerly Mankato State U). I enjoy following NCC sports in general, and the d-1 process for our soon-to-be-former NCC brethren. In regard to Upper Iowa and the NSIC, I did read a news article a few weeks back in the Mpls. paper on that topic. It seems to me they would have a difficult time funding their programs even to NSIC levels, unless the entire league agrees to reduce scholarships significantly. It will be interesting to see what happens now in the NCC in this regard as well, what with d-1 hockey and its priority at most of the remaining NCC schools. I would not be surprised to see a reduction in football scholarhips down to maybe 24 (sadly) with the budget problems at many of the schools. Thanks for the Drake info.....

89rabbit
11-13-2003, 09:24 AM
Bison_Kent posted this on the Bisonville board. Looks like the Georgia Southern Game is a done deal! ;D

I got this from the Georgia Southern message board.

South Dakota State must have gotten a home and home with them as Georgia Southern has released the 2004 and 2005 schedules.

Here is the link:

http://www.southern-connection.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7503&postd ays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

89rabbit
11-13-2003, 10:43 PM
Looks like Montana State is all but done as well. Nice job Dr. Oien! 8)

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/news/stories/20031113/localsports/633437.html

THE BOBCATS, meanwhile, are still working on their 2003 schedule, but Senior Associate Athletics Director Dan Davies said the team is likely to meet both Cal Poly and South Dakota State in Bozeman during nonconference play. Davies said the Cal Poly game is set for Sept. 18, and that South Dakota State, which is in the transition from NCAA Division II to NCAA I-AA status, will probably be in town Sept. 25.

Davies is still working on another home game for Sept. 11, plus a Sept. 4 game that would provide a large financial guarantee from a NCAA I-A school.

Montana State's other home games next fall include Weber State (Oct. 9), Sacramento State (Nov. 6) and Eastern Washington (Nov. 13).

Texas_Jacks_Fan, you where right on the money. Nice call! :D

Go Jacks!

wsufan
11-13-2003, 11:08 PM
Any insight on whether new D-II member Upper Iowa is joining your conference? Doesn't the NSIC have a limit of about 25 scholarships?

I am a NSIC fan, and here's what I know on the UIU situation:

A motion to accept/vote/something on UIU was made, but not seconded. My source (very close to the situation) told me this was now done issue. But I've heard some rumbling that UIU might try again (but nothing i'd call official). Personally, I don't want them around. They've struggled in the IIAC, and I just don't think they'll help the NSIC get the respect it's looking for.

SDSUFAN
11-14-2003, 04:35 AM
I am a NSIC fan, and here's what I know on the UIU situation:

A motion to accept/vote/something on UIU was made, but not seconded. My source (very close to the situation) told me this was now done issue. But I've heard some rumbling that UIU might try again (but nothing i'd call official). Personally, I don't want them around. They've struggled in the IIAC, and I just don't think they'll help the NSIC get the respect it's looking for.

wsufan:
If I understand what you have said, Upper Iowa's application into the NSIC failed because of a lack of a second to the motion. Oh boy that's one meeting where you dont want to raise your hand to second a motion just to keep the meeting rolling. ;D SDSU could find themselves in the same situation when applying to conference membership here and there. Its almost important to get the votes lined up before the meeting. I suspect thats what UIU will have to do before they submit another application.

Getting into a conference at any level is not easy so from an SDSU perspective I kind of share UIU's woes.
On the other hand you cant blame the other NSIC members whose programs are further down the road in meeting the D2 standards and competition for not wanting some member who is not going to be immediately competitive.

RunninRabbit
11-14-2003, 07:31 AM
One quick comment on schollarships -
To the best of my understanding D2 allows all different % schollarships up to 100% without books, 1AA allows 50% and 100%, and 1A only allows full rides. From what I've heard were jumping from from the number we have now(32 or 36?) to between 40 and 50 in the next two years and work up from there. It depends on the number of schollarships our new conference allows.

And how about the Women Jacks hoops team playing Iowa and Colorado so close. I'm impressed coach, one of the opposing coaches went as far as to say that he thinks they(Jacks) are a top 64 team right now.

89rabbit
11-17-2003, 07:38 AM
Here is a listing of probable games for next year. They are not in any particular order (thanks to RunningRabbit for reading the program and posting some additional games). :D

Augie
UC-Davis
Winona State
NDSU
Georgia Southern
UNC
Montana State
Western Oregon
St Mary's(CA)

I would still like to see UNI, but if this is all we get it is a great schedule our first year in I-AA. Way to go Fred!

Go South Dakota State!

Texas_Jacks_Fan
11-17-2003, 08:33 AM
I'm sure we will try to add at least one , hopefully two games to that list. This is just speculation but I've listed "probable" locations, based on this years schedule.
Augie-Sioux Falls,SD
Cal-Davis-Davis, CA Sep 18
Winona St-Brookings, SD
NDSU-Brookings, SD
UNC-Greely, CO
Montana St. Bozeman, MT. Sep 25
Western Oregon-Brookings SD
St. Marys- ??
Georgia Southern-Statesville, GA Oct 30
I assume we will have 5 home dates and 5-6 aways, Its always hard to get existing 1AA universities to come to the "transitional" schools home stadium the first year, both NDSU and SDSU should have an easier time scheduling in 2005. We will likely see another D2 school scheduled for Brookings next season.

89rabbit
11-25-2003, 10:24 PM
We have a SNAFU with the Augie game, here is the Argus Story:

Vikings, Jackrabbits searching for date they can meet in football
Chris Solari
csolari@argusleader.com

published: 11/26/2003

Division I regulations prohibit schools from playing Aug. 28 as originally planned

A scheduling snafu has put next season's proposed football game between South Dakota State and Augustana in limbo.

Officials from the two schools had initially agreed on a season-opening game for Aug. 28, 2004 at Howard Wood Field. But due to different start dates between Division I and II, that had to be scrapped. A new date has not been set.

"We just didn't do our due diligence," said SDSU Athletic Director Fred Oien, who discovered the rules discrepancy Friday.

According to the NCAA, Division I schools may not begin their seasons until Sept. 2 next year, the Thursday before Labor Day. However, Division II football teams may begin playing a week earlier.

Bill Gross, Augustana's athletic director, said he's reviewing his school's schedule to see if another date can accommodate a game with SDSU or if some reworking can be done to keep the in-state rivalry game.

"Fred apologized. It's an honest mistake," Gross said. "He didn't realize, and I didn't either. I thought it would be OK because of the Division II date."

SDSU is in the process of moving from Division II to Division I-AA in football, the second-highest classification offered by the NCAA. Rule books issued by the NCAA are generally considered the most expansive in all of sports.

"There are just little pockets (of rules) here and there that are different," Oien said. "If you go from Division I down to Division II, it's the same situation."

With the Augustana game in doubt, the Jackrabbits now have six football games either under contract or close to set for 2004, Oien said.

Though SDSU has not yet released any of them, games likely will be played with California-Davis and North Dakota State, also making the jump to Division I-AA next year, as well as former North Central Conference foe Northern Colorado. The Bears and Cal-Davis have both recently completed their first season in Division I-AA.

South Dakota State does not have a conference for football or its other 19 sports, which also will move to Division I next year. School officials are discussing a seven-team league which would include SDSU, NDSU, Southern Utah, Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo, California-Davis, Northern Colorado and St. Mary's College (Calif.).

Athletic officials for six of the seven schools will meet from Dec. 8-9 in Las Vegas.

SDSU football coach John Stiegelmeier said the scheduling has gone well so far: "You have to expand and check out the whole nation, in reality, to find those unique matches, which we are willing to do."

Reach Chris Solari at 977-3923.

Lurking_Dog
11-26-2003, 08:34 AM
I noticed on footballscoop.com that both SDSU and Drake list Nov 6 as an open date they're trying to fill. Those listings are old, but I wonder if this is a potential matchup in 2004.

SDSUFAN
11-26-2003, 09:41 AM
I noticed on footballscoop.com that both SDSU and Drake list Nov 6 as an open date they're trying to fill. Those listings are old, but I wonder if this is a potential matchup in 2004.

Lurking Dog:
As far as a potential, its probably slim and none. Mainly because we are wanting to play D1AA scholarship schools first. If we can get a good D2 to come to hour house then, that would preceed scheduling a non-scholarship school. This is just my take, but can't speak for the adminstration at SDSU. I say speculatively that if Drake were to offer a home and home in Basketball and baseball games attached to a football game, then that might happen.

Personally, I just dont get excited about the Pioneer league for football, but respect Drake as competition in all other sports. Competition with Drake in other sports would almost have to be part of the deal.

Lurking_Dog
11-26-2003, 09:54 AM
>>This is just my take, but can't speak for the adminstration at SDSU. >>

Nor do you speak for Drake, which would also have to agree to a series.

>>I say speculatively that if Drake were to offer a home and home in Basketball and baseball games attached to a football game,>>

I don't see any possible linkage, especially considering Drake doesn't have a baseball team.

JACKGUY
11-26-2003, 10:47 AM
The point made was why would we be seeking to play a non'scholarship program unless there was additional upside like playing Drake in Basketball. Frankly I think we would give Tom Davis and Co. all they would want if we could play them in Basketball this year. I would also rather play a home game against a good DII program or on the road against a DIAA then play someone in the Prairie Conference!

JACKGUY
11-26-2003, 11:17 AM
Excuse me Pioneer Conference

DanceswithRabbits
11-27-2003, 08:11 AM
I agree a home and home football contract with a home and home basketball works. It would be cool to have Drake in Frost!

89rabbit
12-09-2003, 01:11 PM
Here is a little update from the GSU web site:

http://athletics.gasou.edu/fbnews0401.html

GEORGIA GAME HIGHLIGHTS 2004 SCHEDULE

STATESBORO, Ga. -- After opening the season in Athens against Georgia Sept. 4, Georgia Southern's second matchup against the Bulldogs in the last four years. . .

GSU will also welcome I-AA newcomer South Dakota State to Paulson Stadium Oct. 30 as a replacement for East Tennessee State, which dropped its football program at the conclusion of the 2003 campaign.

The Jackrabbits, after compiling a 7-4 record and generating nearly 410 yards of total offense per game in 03, will compete as an independent next year which enabled Georgia Southern to fill an awkward open date on the latter portion of its pre-existing league schedule.

P.S. it will be kind of fun to play a team that opens the season by playing the University of Georgia Bulldogs!

Go State! ;D

filbert
01-06-2004, 05:50 PM
Anybody have any new info on the 2004 football schedule?

JBB
01-13-2004, 02:39 PM
What do you think about playing NDSU more than once? Play in Brookings and in Fargo.

01-13-2004, 03:05 PM
Augie has agreed to play the bunnies next year in Brookings. I have heard it will be a late season game. The guarantee was too good for Augustana to pass up.

JACKGUY
01-13-2004, 04:14 PM
That's great. I was hoping for a game on the new surface at Howard Wood Field. The main thing is we continue to play each other for a while.

footballfan
02-02-2004, 10:15 AM
Any updates on the 2004 schedule........

ralph
02-03-2004, 09:59 AM
...I would also rather play a home game against a good DII program or on the road against a DIAA then play someone in the Pioneer Football League!
Personally I would rather see SDSU play a I-AA PFL squad than any D-II team.

Texas_Jacks_Fan
02-03-2004, 11:38 AM
I would prefer not to see any D2 or PFL teams on our schedule, and after the next couple of years I doubt we will see any, but for the next couple of seasons due to the transition to D1AA we will have to tolerate a few of these teams. Personally I would prefer the PFL over D2 over the next two years to fill out the schedule. because its diffrent schools, I'm anxious to see us play teams that weve not seen before or not since 1960. With our move to D1. I would like to see all D1 teams even if they are non-scholarship. Just my opinion.

89rabbit
02-03-2004, 11:40 AM
Agreed!

JACKGUY
02-03-2004, 12:00 PM
I've never seen a non-scholarship DI team play so I have no idea at what level the talent is. I would be hard pressed to believe they are better than NCC schools that have the full allottment of scholarships. I would rather play an Augie or USD than a Drake team that has no scholarships. That's just my opinion.... Either way we are in a no-win situation in that we are expected to win and if we lose it will be embarrasing.

jackmd
02-03-2004, 12:19 PM
As I understood it Colgate (lost to Delaware in IAA championship) does not offer athletic scholarships. Is this correct?

Texas_Jacks_Fan
02-03-2004, 12:36 PM
No... Colgate liked to promote they were non- scholarship but in fact, they gave out "grants" that were the exact equivalent of the full allotment of D1AA schollies and they are based on athletic ability. There is a thread somewhere on our board that goes into great detail on this (I'm not sure which one). Basically Colgate thinks it's virtious to say they are non-scholarship but their athletic dept. is probably financing more dollars than most equivalent schools. The press went along with them(during the championship run) on their self promotion by not mentioning any of these facts.

tony
02-03-2004, 12:37 PM
Colgate fans say they don't offer athletic scholarships but football players get aid just the same. Maybe it's need based aid but when they report graduation rates to the NCAA they are only supposed to count athletes receiving aid. Based on the number of athletes they listed, they have 50+% more athletes getting aid than NDSU does. In turn, NDSU gives 50+% more athletes aid than Drake does.

Morningside used to schedule Drake and play them tight.

If SDSU can get Drake on the schedule, you should jump at it because DI-AA doesn't view a win over them any differently than a full-scholarship school.

iasomebison
02-03-2004, 12:39 PM
As I understood it Colgate (lost to Delaware in IAA championship) does not offer athletic scholarships. Is this correct?

Kind of... they don't offer "scholarships"... but they do give financial aid based on athletic ability (as do other schools in the Patriot League)... according to various news articles.. Colgate gave the equivalent of about 55 full scholarships to their football team last year. There are true-non scholarship teams (ex Drake) which don't give any aid to FB players

Alumguy
02-03-2004, 01:21 PM
Rumor on the street is that SDSU has 10 games scheduled for next year. The games would include three California schools, Montana State (away), Western Washington, Georgia Southern, NDSU, and I can't remember the others. I've also heard that SDSU has offered a big guarantee to USD to play SDSU on October 23 (the only remaining unfilled date on State's schedule). There must be something to this as SDSU has not indicated when Hobo Day will be and I'll bet if we play USD on October 23 it will be Hobo Day.

89rabbit
02-03-2004, 01:39 PM
I've also heard that SDSU has offered a big guarantee to USD to play SDSU on October 23 (the only remaining unfilled date on State's schedule). There must be something to this as SDSU has not indicated when Hobo Day will be and I'll bet if we play USD on October 23 it will be Hobo Day.

Probably not going to happen. USD has released it's schedule and they are set to play at Upper Iowa on Friday the 22nd of October. Not sure what is up with a Friday College game, but they are the "U" ???

http://www.usdcoyotes.com/sports/football/schedule.asp

JACKGUY
02-03-2004, 01:45 PM
Amazing they would pass up a big guarantee at SDSU for a road game at Upper Iowa. It's all being done in spite. UND is dong the same thing to NDSU. I say screw them. I think based on some past posts we could be looking at playing the following teams.

Cal Davis-Road
Winona-Home
NDSU-Home
Mont State-Away
Western Oregon-Away
St. Mary's-?
Georgia Southern-Away
Cal Poly-?
UNC-Away
Augie-Home

JACKGUY
02-03-2004, 01:46 PM
Western Oregon would most likely be home.

Alumguy
02-03-2004, 02:02 PM
I don't know about our playing UNC next year. I've been under the impression that we could not play them until 2005 as UNC had a full schedule for 2004. With respect to the USD/SDSU matchup, I would not dismiss the possibility. Money talks and USD's athletic program is in serious need of major dollars. Their students are being told that they will need to make a significant increase in student fees to the athletic program. This is in part a result of that Title IX mess and subsequent law suit. They need to make enormous strides in bringing equity to their womens' programs.

Texas_Jacks_Fan
02-03-2004, 02:42 PM
What fools at USD!!! They pass up an opportunity to play SDSU, in front of a large crowd, get a bunch of money and publicity. Instead they schedule Upper Iowa who most people dont even realize has a athletic program and the game is on the road!!!!! all because they got their little D2 feilings hurt!!! Enjoy your future USD this is what you have to look forward to.

Texas_Jacks_Fan
02-03-2004, 02:46 PM
I know USD guests visit this site. What are your reactions to your schedule/direction. I almost feel sorry for whats going on in vermillion. I would be curious to hear coyote fans opinion on this.

filbert
02-03-2004, 03:54 PM
I don't know about our playing UNC next year. I've been under the impression that we could not play them until 2005 as UNC had a full schedule for 2004. With respect to the USD/SDSU matchup, I would not dismiss the possibility. Money talks and USD's athletic program is in serious need of major dollars. Their students are being told that they will need to make a significant increase in student fees to the athletic program. This is in part a result of that Title IX mess and subsequent law suit. They need to make enormous strides in bringing equity to their womens' programs.
Oh, that would be PRICELESS!!!!! SDSU moves to D-I and USD is the school that has to raise their student fees!

Oh, please, please, please, please make it so!!!

02-03-2004, 10:10 PM
I would love to see SDSU on Hobo Days. USD and SDSU going at it on a nice cool afternoon in front of 10,000+ fans sounds like fun too me. I know that players here at USD and I'm sure the players at SDSU would like to keep the rivalry going. I know for sure that coach Meierkort is upset with the schedule but said he doesn't have a lot of control over it. Right now I think its up to the big boys of USD deciding whether or not we will play the bunnies or not. I have to admit that having Upper Iowa on the schedule is dissapointing