Why one Wisconsin Recruit chose NDSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why one Wisconsin Recruit chose NDSU

I thought this excerpt from today's Fargo Forum was rather interesting. NDSU will apparently sign a younger brother of the very good quarterback for St Cloud State the past two seaons Keith Heckendorf.  I hope Chris Solari reads this thread as its interesting why this young man from Wisconsin chose NDSU over UND.  Here is the excerpt:

North Dakota State couldn’t beat a Heckendorf, so the Bison did the next best thing: Get one to join them.

Wide receiver Kole Heckendorf of Mosinee, Wis., will be one of about 17 football players to sign a letter of intent with NDSU today. He is the younger brother of standout St. Cloud State quarterback Keith Heckendorf.

The Bison saw enough of Keith Heckendorf. Two years ago, he lit up the Bison secondary in a 31-7 win. Last fall, he single-handedly led the Huskies to a 33-30 overtime win that kept NDSU out of the playoffs.

“At the time, I wasn’t even considering North Dakota State,” said Kole Heckendorf, who was at the game.

“I was so happy at the time that they won. It couldn’t have ended any better for him.”

The 6-foot-1, 185-pound Kole Heckendorf holds five Wisconsin state receiving records: career receptions (235), career yards (3,831), career touchdowns (36), single season receptions (116) and single season yards (1,750).

The 116 catches, which came when Heckendorf was a junior, were the most by any prep receiver in the country, according to Badger State Preps Web site.

He has a 36-inch vertical jump, runs the 40-yard dash in 4.5 seconds and is a good student, said Mosinee head coach Paul Nievinski. He was a first team all-state selection by The Associated Press and Wisconsin Football Coaches Association.

“Tremendous kid,” Nievinski said.

Heckendorf said his decision came down to NDSU and the University of North Dakota.

“Just moving up a level to I-AA helped quite a bit,” he said.

Kole is the youngest of three brothers who have excelled in athletics. Keith Heckendorf was a two-time finalist for the Harlon Hill Trophy, which goes to Division II’s best player. Kyle Heckendorf is a professional baseball prospect at the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh.

Kole Heckendorf, who also excels in hockey, said he talked with his brothers about his college decision. He said Keith wasn’t thrilled initially that he was considering NDSU.

“But he said you have to connect with the coaches,” Kole said. “And St. Cloud isn’t the atmosphere that North Dakota State is.”

Readers can reach Forum reporter Jeff Kolpack at (701) 241-5546

Re: Why one Wisconsin Recruit chose NDSU

They couldn't have been happy to read that up in Sueville.

Comment

Originally posted by tony
      They couldn't have been happy to read that up in Sueville.
      The name is really fitting for the civil war that seems to plague that institution. Fighting Sioux. It's like two brothers who moved the fight from the bedroom to the lawn, and both of them found crowbars.

Comment

Buster, if you are saying UND and NDSU are one institution, them is fighting words

NDSU and UND aren't like brothers, it's more like a guy and his unemployed brother-in-law.

Comment

Originally posted by tony
          ...NDSU and UND aren't like brothers, it's more like a guy and his unemployed brother-in-law.
          TONY LAYS DOWN THE LAW!!!

Comment

Working...
          X