Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2004 USD FB Sched (Two D3 and one NAIA school)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 USD FB Sched (Two D3 and one NAIA school)

USD Football schedule 2004

Aug 28 at Truman State (Stokes Stadium, Kirksville, Mo.)

Sep 4 Peru State - NAIA (DakotaDome, Vermillion, S.D.) TBA

Sep 11 Minnesota State, Moorhead (DakotaDome, Vermillion, S.D.)

Sep 18 Wisconsin-LaCrosse - D3 (DakotaDome, Vermillion, S.D.) TBA

Sep 25 at Nebraska-Omaha * (Al F. Caniglia Field, Omaha, Neb.) TBA

Oct 2 Augustana * (DakotaDome, Vermillion, S.D.)
    (Dakota Days) 2 p.m.

Oct 9 at Minnesota State, Mankato (Blakslee Stadium, Mankato, Minn.) TBA

Oct 16 St. Cloud State (DakotaDome, Vermillion, S.D.) TBA

Oct 22 at Upper Iowa - D3 (Eischeid Stadium, Fayette, Iowa) TBA

Oct 30 Minnesota-Duluth (DakotaDome, Vermillion, S.D.) TBA

Nov 6 at North Dakota (Alerus Center, Grand Forks, N.D.) TBA

We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: 2004 USD FB Sched (Two D3 and one NAIA school)

With that kind of strength of schedule, dosen't look like the Coyotes will be playing for a National Title. :

Go State!

Comment

With a schedule like that...I know I would be afraid....

Go SDSU....
      http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

What a joke! I would be embarrased if I was the USD Administration if this is the best they can do to fill a football schedule. They might win all their games and still not make the playoffs because of strength of schedule. While we are playing at Montana State they will be at Upper Iowa!

Comment

I thought Upper Iowa is a transitional D-II? ???

Comment

Yes-This USD schedule is an embarasment. As an Alumni, I would have never become a doner to the athletics dept. if MY Alma Mater had a like schedule/athletic future/attitude toward sports. and I'm sure I'm not alone in my reasoning. USD will always be small time with this mentality. I became a member of Jackrabbit Club because of our move up- and so I dont ever have to see opponents like whats on USD's schedule next year.

Comment

The gap between USD and SDSU will continue widen as we move into DI. The 2004 Football Schedule will reflect that difference. Our success in the early years should not be measured in wins and losses but rather how we are able to schedule and market our programs to the public. Patience and financial contributions are a must!

Comment

wsufan is correct, Upper Iowa is in the first year of transition to DII.  They will be the only DII school in Iowa.  They won 1 game last year (1-9) over Dubuque in O.T.  What a great addition to D2!!! :-[ :-[  I am soooo glad we are moving up.

Here are their results from 2003.  What a joke.  I guess just about any school can join D2 these days. I think some of these are High School teams. ;D ;D

Week 10:  Simpson 54, Upper Iowa 7

Week 9:  Loras 30, Upper Iowa 20

Week 8:  Buena Vista 43, Upper Iowa 14

Week 7:  Wartburg 35, Upper Iowa 7

Week 6:  Cornell 27, Upper Iowa 21

Week 5:  Central 38, Upper Iowa 14

Week 4:  Upper Iowa 55, Dubuque 48 (OT)

Week 3:  Coe 42, Upper Iowa 34

Week 2:  Luther 47, Upper Iowa 13

Week 1:  UW-Oshkosh 38, Upper Iowa 3

We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Now there is some household competition. I can't wait to show the Kloucek's and Markings of the world how much better off SDSU will be once we get through the difficulty of next few years.

Comment

I wonder what Fred Oien's reaction will be when he sees this schedule.  For the past two to three years Fred has been called everything including a liar for asserting the fact that D2 was heading south and the competition that we knew in the NCC was a thing of the past. Judging by USD'S schedule it looks like it is happening.

UND got to host a regional playoff over U of Northern Alabama. UNA beat Jacksonville State, and played a Historically black D3 school Edward Waters, while UND played a miserable Newberry from South Carolina and Crookston which was not to hard to beat.  Roger Thomas UND AD knew how the new scheme worked and their three non conference wins were over D2 schools while UNA wins were over a D1AA and D3.  So we have a classical example of how the new D2 strength of schedule works. Schedule the D2 struggling programs. I dont know where the strength is in their but I suppose its there.

So staying D2 is hardly the answer for a good football program.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
                      ...staying D2 is hardly the answer for a good football program.
                      of course that depends upon the mission of the school...

Comment

Ralph:
                        The mission for SDSU is to move up to D1AA, and not remain a D2 school.  Thanks to a thoughtful President who came from Ohio and was not hobbled with all these stuck in the mud attitudes that South Dakotans seem to have.  USD on the other hand is clinging to D2, because they are so poorly organized and are in financial trouble particularily the athletic department.
                        The current President at USD is probably the best hope for a progressive USD.   Jim Abbott was the unsucessful Democrat candidate for governor, but has an extensive business background.  Canning an AD named Higgins took some courage since Higgins was thought to be a folk hero for catching a game winning pass against NDSU during his college days. This guy did little if anything as AD.  He forgot to schedule a fund raiser with Pat Obrien of CBS sports. Pat Obrien as you know is a Sioux Falls native and USD grad.  

It looks like USD and UND will both be D2 for maybe 5 years. USD could be longer.  USD needs Al Neuharths' big bucks to turn things around and he doesnt seem overly anxious to give them up. I could be mistaken.

Comment

Ralph brought up an interesting point concerning " ... it depends on what the mission of the institution is." I have to congratulate President Jim Abbott for having the ability to spin the Division I issue in the past year to USD's advantage. The media took the hook.

Abbott said they wanted to the Division I of academics in the state. Let's be candid, of course the primary mission of SDSU, or any other insititution, is academics. People who want to "divide and conquer" on the Division I situation will use the argument that USD is interested in academics and SDSU is interested in athletics. That is exactly what Jim Abbott did by making the statement. Well, that is a stupid statement and that is why Jim Abbott isnt Governor Abbott.

South Dakota State University will not take a back seat to any other school in South Dakota in the area of academics. None. Those that try to spin the issue are jealous of the phenomenal things that are happening at SDSU. Jim Abbott can talk all he wants about Division I academcs and becoming the Ivy League school of the prairie. Talk is cheap and, like ususal, it's a bunch of hot air coming out of Vermillion. Let's be frank, Abbott was taking a poke at SDSU and at the same time trying to build the image of USD.

Do you want a good example of a lot of talk without the substance? They love to talk about their support of the women's athletic program. Yet, they get nailed big time on a Title IX investigation. It cost Abbott, USD, former athletic director Jack Doyle, and the state of South Dakota money. Yet, here's Abbott the Democrat, the champion of the people, not providing equitable support for women's athletics.

The best thing to do is look to the future. In another year, USD will no longer be a rival. In twenty years, they will be the answer to a trivia question.

Comment

Maybe USD needs to become D-I in academics, but we are already there (as usual USD is trying to catch up).

From the most recent issue of "STATE" magazine (Winter of 2004).

"Academically SDSU is classified as a Doctoral granting, tier-3 institution.  Other universities similar to SDSU that are Division I institutions with this status include but are not limited to:  Arizona State, Ball State, Illinois State, Kansas State, Mississippi State, Montana State, Oklahoma State, and Oregon State." . . .

So if USD is trying to make the argument that we can't move our athletic programs to D-I and our academics to a D-I level at the same time, as usual they don't get it, because OUR academics ARE and HAVE BEEN at the D-I level for some time now!  8)

One last point, if USD wants to be the Ivy Leauge of the Plains, they should take note that the "Ivy Leauge" is an athletic conference.  An athletic conference that plays at the same level as SDSU will be (D-I/I-AA).   ;D

Go SDSU, the biggest and the best in South Dakota!

Comment

Alumguy:

I guess I am giving Jim Abbott more credit than he deserves after reading your post to which I agree. Compared to ID Weeks and some of his precessors, I think Abbott is bit of fresh air. Maybe its the Registered Democrat in me talking, but your prespective on Abbott is interesting and not one that is very obvious to the average reader of the Sioux Falls Argus Leader.

Comment

Working...
                              X