Fred Oien

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fred Oien

My original post in this spot was idiotic, I've come to realize.

Re: Fred Oien

It's not fair! I agree, this stinks of conspiracy. It's really something when a class act like Fred Oien gets set up by the Argus just because the Argus has a grudge against SDSU. And a few Sioux Falls TV stations, too. Don't they get it? The FES/Argus got to Oien's wife and created this mess to make Dr. Oien look bad. Of that, there can be no doubt.

Comment

Are these messages from the same person? I don't know anything about the charges against Fred, but I hope they aren't true. I'm also not sure about your conspiracy theory, it seems a little extreme for me.

Comment

Charger,

I thought the same thing, checked it out and it is in Wednesday's Argus.  Not good at all.  You'd think an AD in the small-town spotlight would be smarter then that.

Comment

It's a media thing, nothing more. I hope people are smart enough to relize thaat. they'll all try to bring Fred down and I'm saying Fred ain't going down. SDSU is going DI and Fred Oien is going with them. The charges against him will be proven false. There was no reason for the law or the media to get involved. The Argus, the tv stations, usd....they brought this on just like everything els.

Comment

This is an unfortunate report to be published and certainly gives the opponents to D1 ammunition. The fact that a charge has been filed gives the publicty a chance to pounce on SDSU.

I known Fred for about 18 years and he has always be very open with answers to questions about what is going on at SDSU. I have also gotten to know his wife on a first name basis, so this incident being front page news is not the news I want to read in the Argus.

I am confident this incident will come to its just conclusion and SDSU will not be detracted from its mission of becoming a D1AA member. :-X

Comment

I have also known Fred for some time and believe this charge is completely out of character. I don't know who luvthosejacks or sdsurox are or if there the same person but there posts sound fishy and be someone like Chris Solari in disguise. While I dont care for the Argus and there stance on SDSU's move I don't believe in a conspiracy theory as it relates to Dr. Oiens recent problems.

Comment

This is a personal matter and should be handled that way. I don't see how this has anything to do with SDSU going DI. Going DI is a university mission, not Fred Oien's.

Comment

I agree. The move to DI will go on with or without Dr. Oien. The naysayers will latch on to anything to detract SDSU from its mission.

Comment

I concur completely. You'd think in a place like S.D. we would have the common sense and courtesy to leave people private lives just that, private. This is not front page news and never should be regardless of who is involved. I can see this kind of nonsense occurring in places known for less dignity and decency but then I guess this is what the Argus, Aberdeen news, etc.. in general have become. Its sad really.

Fred deserves due process as does his wife. It should not have any effect on the move to DI. I for one hope this moves to the back page or better yet out of the public spotlight all-together. Like Bobby Knight says, journalists and prostitutes two of the worlds most noble professions.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I think Jackmd has the right take on this. Perhaps the Argus didn't do the whole thing, that was p-----off response after some beer, but Buster, you're going to tell me the media isn't doing cartwheels right now? Do you not think the media is going to try to bring him down and kick him around? At best it's nothing serious, and at worst it's a private issue. The sad thing is that Miller is going to have to deal with it now and it's something that should never have become public. The DI movement will survive, but let's not kid ourselves. it never would have come about without Fred and Dr. Miller!

Comment

Originally posted by luvthosejacks
                        I think Jackmd has the right take on this. Perhaps the Argus didn't do the whole thing, that was p-----off response after some beer, but Buster, you're going to tell me the media isn't doing cartwheels right now? Do you not think the media is going to try to bring him down and kick him around? At best it's nothing serious, and at worst it's a private issue. The sad thing is that Miller is going to have to deal with it now and it's something that should never have become public. The DI movement will survive, but let's not kid ourselves. it never would have come about without Fred and Dr. Miller!

Fred Oien, by virtute of his position as being the primary public contact for anything related to the DI move, is in the situation where by he is something of a paragon.

His choice of occupations puts him in the spotlight regularly -- something he has not been shy about using for the benefit of the university. When Fred Oien speaks, people listen. He has access to the public forum that many do not. If Buster called the Argus Leader and wanted to have a sitdown with the editorial staff, they'd hang up the phone. But if Fred Oien called, you can be assured that there will be a sit down.

It's a sharp line to ride, and in this case, things have falled on the dark side of the edge.

It would be News four years ago, long before publicity of the DI move ever came into being, just as its News today.

There's plenty of gossip around town about Nagy, but the man does live, at least what I see, a life off the court that would be viewed as Proper. He seems to be a man of family and God. Though I would never suggest that how he lives his life off the court in the way he does is simply to look good, I think he realizes the importance of holding himself to a standard much higher than anyone else does.

The benchmark for people in a position of power and influence is higher than for you or me.

It is indeed a private matter, but some private matters have a way of influencing public matters.

You're absolutely correct in saying that the DI move has two prinicpal architects. Unfortunately, given the fragile nature of the situation, the timing couldn't have been worse. There are indeed many people, I hardly doubt in the media though, that are laughing to themselves and quietly rejoicing at this. News is, by nature, reactionary. Nobody invented this story. It really exists.

We can degenerate into a debate where neither of us will do anything except argue in circles, nobody making any progress at convincing the other, as to whether the amount of news coverage given to the situation is proper.

But the fact is, the news reacts to this; it does not create this. The original authors of this story are the Oien family. It's just unfortunate that we all have something of a prurient interest here.

Comment

Buster,

Quit using words we (or at least I) can't understand.  I agree that quality sources only report the news and do not creat it.  However, in today's society where so many news sources are available and there are so many mediums occupying our attention many sources misrepresent the information they are trying to report in an attempt to gain attention for their take on the story.

It is a matter of public record that Fred has been accused of assaulting his wife and preventing her from making a call to the authorities.  That is it.  If it was only about reporting and not creating news the story would end there.  However, it never does, especially for someone in the public spotlight.  Of course, Fred is first and foremost responsible for this and I am certain he is willing to accept this and deal with it appropriately.

What about this poor guy?  Why did we have to bring his name up again?  I don't see how it is relevant and I am certain it is not comfortable for him.

In 1994, the principal of Roosevelt High School in Sioux Falls was placed on paid administrative leave after he was charged with assaulting his wife.

Robert Perdaems was later named the district's personnel director. His wife was unwilling to proceed with the charge against him, so it was dropped.

We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

You should all join the fun with me over on Bisonville with D (UND Fan) debating whether SDSU will survive Dr. Oien's allegations.

Comment

This what being in the Big-Time is all about fellas! Everything and anyone associated with us in anyway will be front page news from here on, we have to learn to deal with it. Brace yourselves for the blowback any time any athelete messes up, all this is just part of being in the "biggs". Remember a few years ago when a KU football player leaned out of his car and got stuck in a drive in window?? That news was all over the US! Do you think if he played at Northern it would have even made the Argus?? Welcome to life under the media microscope!!

Comment

Working...
                              X