X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-AA West: Dakota Rivalries

I-AA West: Dakota Rivalries
    Kent Schmidt, I-AA Western Columnist

In the Dakotas, there is one fall Saturday every year when each of the states stands still to watch one football game. The two rivalries garnering this attention, the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux versus the North Dakota State University Bison, and the University of South Dakota Coyotes versus the South Dakota State University Jackrabbits, are partially gone at least for the 2004 season and could be for the foreseeable future.

read more...

Re: I-AA West: Dakota Rivalries

Bison Kent is a great columnist. I always enjoy reading his work. He puts in a lot of information, I think we should draft him to be the new editor of the Argus Leader. Want to move to Sioux Falls Kent?

Comment

Amen to that idea, but he would be frustrated by the direction from the Editoral staff. He would find his ideas geared toward an USD point of view over SDSU. He would have to point out the growing weeds on a unused tennis court.

Comment

Great article by bisonkent.

FYI, the "unofficial" trophy in the SDSU/USD game is a bronze jug. In my 15 years of following Jackrabbit football I have never seen an official exchange of the jug, mostly because SDSU has won a large majority of those game. Last time I was at SDSU the jug was on display in the Ginn Trophy room.

While the NDSU/UND game may have more tradition making the loss of the game more disheartening to their fans, I for one could care less that the USD game goes away. To me, rivals show some degree of respect even though there is an intense desire to win. I have never seen one ounce of respect shown with the USD rivalry. The childish antics that have been present throught my experiences don't constitue a "rivalry". Yes we play them every year, and yes they are the other major in-state university. But I don't feel that my intense desire to see the Jacks win every game against USD and the hatred felt for anyone or anything USD makes them a rival.

I can see NDSU becoming a true rival of SDSU's. Two similar universities. Two athletic departments making a big and bold step at the same time. And two universities that respect one another (atleast from my point of view). I for one would like to see more value place on the NDSU games in all sports and possibly even a symbolic trophy that goes to the victor.

Comment

I'm a little sad to see the rivalry disappear (for now). We're still behind on the overall record, but at the rate we were going it would have only taken a few more years to catch the Yotes!!

Comment

what is the SDSU/USD record the past 10-15 years

Comment

Isn't it something like SDSU winning 14 out of last 16 games? Jacks are behind three games in the overall historical record.

Comment

Thats what I was thinking too. Weve pretty much dominated the u the past 20 years.

Comment

Working...
                X