SDSU versus NDSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU versus NDSU

NDSU has had the upper hand on football. Why is that? Why can't SDSU beat them at leat one out of every 5 times? I think NDSU kicked our butt like 15 times in a row. Why?

Re: SDSU versus NDSU

We beat NDSU last year (2002 Season) 25-20! That being said your point is well taken.  This is a subject that SDSUFAN has a great understanding of and a tremendous passion for, he is our resident expert on this subject.  So I will defer to him.

Go State! 

Comment

Originally posted by Jack
      NDSU has had the upper hand on football.  Why is that?  Why can't SDSU beat them at leat one out of every 5 times?  I think NDSU kicked our butt like 15 times in a row.  Why?  
      I dont have the run down of scores for the entire series, but I would say during the Ralph Ginn Era, 1949 to 1963 SDSU held there own and possibly led in the series.

SDSU during that period seem to be the first in fund raising in that they started the Jackrabbit Club.  They had a HI Neighbor night, usually the first home game where the coaches and boosters went to every small town around Brookings and got the small town businesses to buy so many tickets and the merchants would in turn give them to loyal customers. It worked during this time and if you look for SDSU champions in the NCC, they happened during that time-frame.  

From what I have read in Fargo Forum articles, they have made reference to the President during the Ginn Era who did not want the athletic department  asking businesses for money.  About 1962 NDSU went 0-10 and they got a new president.  Ralph Ginn's former Assistant Bob Danielsen was the NDSU head coach in 1962 was fired at NDSU. The new NDSU President whose name is not handy made a committment to winning at NDSU and he allowed the formation of the Team makers and got the FM business to support the program especially football. NDSU started winning and drawing great crowds which produced more revenue  for scholarships plus what the Teammakers where out raising.

Meanwhile at SDSU, Ralph Ginn kind was failing in health and coaching. I cant recall the exact date he retired, but a guy named Dave Kragthorpe was hired.  Ralph died of cancer a few years later.  I ran into a guy named John Miller who worked in a public power district, but also happen to be the SDSU quarter back the last year Ginn was coach the year Kragthorpe was coach and the two years that Conrad was coach. John told me he thought that SDSU would have been okay if we had been able to hold onto Kragthorpe. Kraghorpe went on to Weber State and did a great job and later was at Oregan State where the peter principle caught up with him.

SDSU then hired a guy named Conrad.   Conrad apparently came as an assistant from Kansas and wanted to run SDSU like a D1 program. From what John Miller told me that created some problems and he left after two years. I guess he forgot clue in President Hilton Briggs that he had a D1 program or that he was trying to build one. ;D

So we have the lost of a veteran coach and two turnovers in head coaches in a period of three years. The Bison did not have any problem with the Jacks and it soon became an intimidating factor when playing the Bison.  Some times our guys were overwhelmed and we cant blame them,

Though I have no number, I have a suspcion that some dollars towards football were never increased to match what was invested at NDSU.  D2 could fund up to 46 scholarships and NDSU could do the funding and SDSU probably funded about 10 less.  The quality of athletes at SDSU did not match what NDSU was drawing. I think with Everhart who took over Darrell Mudra, their program just got better and better and ours went south.
      Then they had great coaches live Jim Wacker, Earl Salmonson, Don Morton who did excellent jobs, but they also had all the financial resources they needed.

John Gregory was a good coach at SDSU and if he had gotten all the resources he needed, his win -loss record would have been much better.  But that did not happen and Gregory was having his differences with the AD and evently Gregory was fired.

Wayne Haensel, who was one hell of a player who if he had the 20/20 vision would have had a career in the NFL of many seasons took over from Gregory. Wayne was a players coach and did not have a bad record but also not a good record. NDSU always plunked Wayne pretty bad and they referred to him in Fargo as Grampa because they thought he sounded like one.

Mark my word, Wayne Haesnel was an excellent student and very smart person. Again, resources plus being good to his players kind of force him to resign when Fred became AD.

Mike Daly I think was an excellent coach and he kept  Stig as the only Haensel hold over when he got the job. Stig was a grad assistant at Wisconsin when Daly was part of the Don Morton coaching staff at Wisconsin. So Daly and Stig knew each other.

SDSU has probably done better against NDSU since the scholarship level was cut to 36. We had three wins in 1993, 96 and 2002. Since then we have been competive, but its the coaching staff and what they can afford to pay them that I feel makes a difference.

The guys that Bohl brought with him to NDSU are cracker jacks, and that is not a put down to Stig'S staff.

Its been a experience gap at all coaching positions and that can make a difference too.

We just got to hang in there and hope for the best.  I dont think the Bison fans were happy with the home bb games two weeks ago.  We feel good, they want heads.

One last factor and is showed up in Fargo last fall.
      Its just seems t that SDSU family seems to care more about the Pride than we do about our football team.

No offense SDSU TUBA, but I feel its true. We can still have a great marching band and a great football team, its just a matter of investing more in salaries and recruting budgets. Then we can go toe to toe with the Bison.

Comment

Jack,
        How was that for an explanation?

Comment

SDSUFAN thanks for the great info.
          No offence taken here, I know we are spoiled, I would love to have a great football team go with our great marching band. That would make saturdays at Coughlin even better!
          Go State! Go State!

Comment

Working...
          X