Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GOOD NEWS FROM FARGO FORUM ABOUT FOOTBALL CONF.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GOOD NEWS FROM FARGO FORUM ABOUT FOOTBALL CONF.

BACK PAGE NEWS IN THE ARGUS, AND BAD NEWS FOR JIM MARKING-AND OTHER FES Folks.

Bison form football conference: Seven teams to launch new league a year earlier than thought
    By Jeff Kolpack  
    jkolpack@forumcomm.com
    The Forum - 02/23/2004

An announcement is expected this week to officially launch a new Division I-AA football conference next fall -- one year earlier than previously thought possible.

A source close to the situation said a press conference is set for Wednesday to formally introduce North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Northern Colorado, Southern Utah, California Davis, St. Mary’s (Calif.) and California Poly.

When asked Sunday night if the league will be announced this week, NDSU athletic director Gene Taylor said, “Our goal is to get it out pretty soon.”

The athletic directors had a conference call last week and one more is planned this week, Taylor said.

The league apparently has a name picked out. Taylor said that will be released at a later date, although he also said, “Our goal is to do something this week.”

One apparent hitch is a full round-robin schedule in 2004. NDSU and SDSU do not have Southern Utah on their schedule. NDSU, with just six games officially scheduled, has plenty of room to fit in the Thunderbirds.

SDSU doesn’t have UNC on its recently released schedule, according to one report, although UNC still has a couple of dates to play with.

Cal Davis and St. Mary’s reportedly will play the other six teams. Taylor said NDSU’s bid to play Southern Utah “will be finalized this week.”

NDSU, UNC and SDSU are in the fledgling stages of Division I transition. Cal Poly, Davis, St. Mary’s and Southern Utah are independents that have been seeking a football league for a few years.

If formed, NCAA rules dictate the league would have to wait at least five years before it can be eligible for automatic qualifier status to the I-AA playoffs. The four independents, however, could qualify as at-large entrants to the 16-team field.

The schools met in early December for a two-day meeting in Las Vegas, a gathering that Taylor and SDSU athletic director Fred Oien both called “very encouraging.”

The schools got together last month during the NCAA Convention in Nashville, Tenn.

They first met during the national convention of athletic directors last June. Details that have been ongoing include bylaws, conference administration and NCAA compliance issues.

Taylor, in interviews over the past few months, indicated the league would probably get going in 2005. In the last few weeks, the starting date has apparently been accelerated.

“It will be a lot of fun for our team and for our fans,” Taylor said Sunday. “I think we can create some things.”

Readers can reach Forum reporter Jeff Kolpack at (701) 241-5546

© 2004 Forum Communications Co., Fargo, ND, 58102, All rights reserved  

Re: GOOD NEWS FROM FARGO FORUM ABOUT FOOTBALL CONF

That is outstanding! We will be playing for a Conf. Championship this fall! ;D

Go State!

Comment

I will be doing a guest spot TODAY with Craig Mattick & Mike Henriksen of Sioux Falls KSWN-AM 1230's, "Sports Talk w/Craig & Mike" at 4:20 EST regarding this topic.
      If you'd like to LISTEN LIVE via an internet stream, click here:
      http://collegesportsinfo.com/radio

You can catch their show Mon.-Fri. from 3-5pm Central Time and visit their website at KWSN.com. If you have technical difficulties using the link I provided, you can stream via their website: http://www.kswn.com .

Can't wait until Wednesday...hopefully they make the league name official soon.

Comment

Matt,
        I listened to your interview, Good Job ! We (SDSU Fans) appreciate you covering this and discussing the topic on air with the Sioux falls audience who may not follow this subject like the regular posters on this board do. Dont be a stranger to our forum, it will always be nice to hear from you. I guess Wednesday is the big day.
        Thanks again.
        Texas Jack

Comment

Texas,

I couldn't connect, what was said? Anything interesting?

Comment

Not anything that we don't already know, Matt Pelequin (I'm sorry if I misspelled your name) from Collegesportsinfo.com was interviewed on KWSN basically said that a news conf. is scheduled for Wednesday to announce the new football conf. He discussed the other schools-who we already know. many of the listeners probably arent as "up to speed" as we are on the message board because we discuss it everyday. They will have a name announcement. It will be managed by the Mid Con Conf. and it sounds like there may be some juggling of schedules to begin play next year. I wonder if Southern Utah may be the last school added to our schedule? That way a Conf. championship can be crowned next year-Awesome! We will learn all of the specifics on Wednesday-Cant Wait !!
            GO SDSU

Comment

It sounds like the conference schedule has been completed on the WDAY 5:00 news tonight.

btw- That story was the front page, not sports section, above the fold in The Forum today(i.e. the story that shows up in the newspaper machines).

Also sounds like Southern Utah has been finalized for NDSU.

Comment

More news, this time from Greeley:

http://www.greeleytrib.com/apps/pbcs...dYbnbW5M0kycPd

. . .Every school in the new conference except South Dakota State is on UNC's schedule for next season. It's expected that UNC will announce on Wednesday the addition of SDSU to its 2004 schedule. . . .

. . .The only scheduling conflicts involve NDSU, SDSU and Southern Utah. Those conflicts could be worked at as early as this afternoon. . . .

Go State!

Comment

More news from GWC land. This time from ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1742499

Go State!

Comment

Here is the Argus story (about a day late, nice job gang : ) :

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Tuesdayarticle2.shtml

SDSU close on new conference
                    From Staff & Wire Reports

published: 2/24/2004

Official announcement could come as early as Wednesday

Signs point toward a Wednesday announcement that South Dakota State has joined a new NCAA Division I-AA football league called the Great West Football Conference.

The league would have seven schools: North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Northern Colorado and Southern Utah along with three in California - St. Mary's College, Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo and California Davis.

SDSU has scheduled a press conference at 1 p.m. Wednesday to talk about conference issues. Neither SDSU athletic director Fred Oien or football coach John Stiegelmeier would reveal what will be said Wednesday.

NDSU and Northern Colorado, which in the past have competed with SDSU in the North Central Conference, have press conferences scheduled for the same day at the same time. . . .

Go State!

Comment

SDSU is going to have a press conf. at Cubby's, let the party begin!   ;D

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/We...article5.shtml

SDSU, others to announce new league

Six of the seven schools that have proposed a new Division I-AA football conference, including South Dakota State, will hold concurrent press conferences today.

SDSU will announce its affiliation with the league at 1 p.m. at Cubby's Sports Bar and Grill in Brookings. North Dakota State also will have a press conference at that same time in Fargo.

Other schools releasing information on the new league at the same time will be Northern Colorado, Southern Utah, California Davis and Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo. . . .

. . .The league is expected to be called the Great West Football Conference.

Go State Go!

Comment

Here is a link so you can listen live.  I will be out of the office, so I wont get to hear it.  

http://www3.sdstate.edu/athletics/broadcasts/index.cfm

Go State!

Comment

Conference Cal-Poly SLO Coach: Great West Conference 'On Par' With I-AA Power League Big Sky Conference

By DAVE KOLPACK
                          Associated Press Writer

FARGO, N.D. -- One coach in a new NCAA Division I-AA football league says teams in the Great West Football Conference will be "on par'' with the Big Sky Conference, an established I-AA league.

The teams forming the new conference, scheduled to be announced Wednesday afternoon, are California Davis, Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo, North Dakota State, Northern Colorado, St. Mary's (Calif.), South Dakota State and Southern Utah.

"They're teams that are well known and well respected in the football world,'' Cal Poly coach Rich Ellerson said in a statement on the league's Web site. "They're competitive at the I-AA level right now.''

Conference play will begin on Sept. 4, when North Dakota State travels to Northern Colorado and South Dakota State visits UC Davis. Five of the teams will have full conference schedules this season. Southern Utah and SDSU, which are not scheduled to play, will have a non-conference opponent designated to count as a league game.

"It's going to be cool to be in a conference,'' Northern Colorado quarterback Tony Christensen said. "We will be able to go for a conference title, and have something to play for besides pride.''

Cal Poly, Saint Mary's and Southern Utah currently are at-large candidates for Division I-AA playoff consideration. UC Davis and Northern Colorado will become eligible for at-large consideration in 2007, while SDSU and NDSU become candidates in 2008.

The conference headquarters will be in Cedar City, Utah.

Management of the league will be handled by a three-person executive committee of athletic directors. They are Tom Douple of Southern Utah, Alison Cone of Cal Poly and Greg Warczeka of UC Davis.

"Providing these student-athletes with the opportunity to compete for a conference championship makes all of this effort so worthwhile,'' Douple said.

NDSU athletic director Gene Taylor will head the coaches' committee and Northern Colorado athletic director Jim Fallis will direct the new league's external relations committee.

------

On the Net:

www.greatwestfootball.com

All Contents ©Copyright Yankton Daily Press & Dakotan . Please read our Privacy Policy. Comments or questions? Contact the webmasters at The Yankton Daily Press & Dakotan .

Schwan's Route Sales/Scotland Compan...
                          » View all TopAds

Comment

Some stats from the GWC website regarding head-to-head results. Nice to see first meetings with teams like Southern Utah instead of Peru St, UMD, or Upper Iowa.

SOUTH DAKOTA STATE
                            vs. Cal Poly
                            First meeting

vs. UC Davis
                            Series tied 1-1

vs. North Dakota State
                            NDSU leads 49-36-5

vs. Northern Colorado
                            UNC leads 18-13

vs. Saint Mary's
                            First meeting

vs. Southern Utah
                            First meeting

We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

For those of you like me that didn't get a chance to hear the news Conf. KJJQ has it archived, so you can still hear it.

http://www.depotradio.com/sports.php#

Once there just click on SDSU joins D1-AA Great West Conference.

Also, here is the link to the new conferenc:

http://greatwestfootball.ocsn.com/

What a GREAT day for SDSU Football! Go State!

Comment

Working...
                              X