Recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recruits

I read this story in the Argus, here is a kid (Blake Hojer) that Iowa is looking at that is also thinking about SDSU.  His dad play for us in the late '70s (the '79 playoff team), but still I am sure he wouldn't be giving us a second look if we hadn't made the move to D-I.

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Thursdayfeature.shtml

Re: Recruits

Anybody heard about who the Jacks are persuing for football next year? We certainly have some holes to fill and some more scholarships to offer.

Comment

I think watching newspapers and kids that commit to a school and then publicly announce are about the only ways of finding out anything at this time of the year. I am sure there arir a number of home visits and video reviewing going on right now, but coaches are required to be very tongue tied so they will probably not say much. Although Stig did comment in Yankton that recruiting was looking good. That was when he was speaking before the Quarterback Club.

Bisonville seems to have people over there that know recruiting message boards etc and they seem to find out things well in advance. I am afraid I am no help at this point in time.

Comment

A couple of recruiting tidbits I was able to find over on Iowa Preps. SDSU is persuing West Des Moines Dowling
        running back Ashland Grady 6'1 207 lbs runs the 40 in 4.46. He mentioned the SDSU coaches are calling him everyday. "I know its cold up there and that could be an issue". Also looking at UND and Iowa. It seems Iowa wants him to walk on as he had a knee injury.

Also looking at Sioux City Heelans Matt Vogel 6'4 270 lb guard.
        Another potential basketball recruit is Danville's KJ Gray who is from Jake Wenigs former school. Hailed as one of the best shooters in the state.

Comment

I hope that kid from Iowa isn't a sign of what Styg and the gang think is a prospect. Knee problems and grade problems hmmmmm............ Recruit the BEST in SD and try that for awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by sodakfan
            I hope that kid from Iowa isn't a sign of what Styg and the gang think is a prospect.  Knee problems and grade problems hmmmmm............  Recruit the BEST in SD and try that for awhile.
            Welcome USD fan. Thanks for taking the time to register.

To me it sounds like Iowa wants a "free" year or two from the kid because he once had an knee injury. Nothing wrong with going after that kid. What is a I-A maybe, is probably a good I-AA prospect. As far as grade problems, where did that come from?

I agree that we need to recruit the best in SD and I think we are doing so. Look at Dances with Rabbits post. Blake Hojer is the real deal and I hope we get him. It is much harder to track what SD kids we are going after because the tools don't exist for fans to follow the action close (like there are in other states).

Go SDSU!

Comment

sodak fan- Your squad should practice what you preach as your prior administration has brought in players from all over the planet with no success. SDSU has dominated the football series with far more regional athletes than on your squad. SDSU will continue to look at the best South Dakota athletes who have the abililty to compete at the DlAA level. I would worry about your own house as you have a lot of issues with your own program.

Comment

SDSU has been in contact with a kid from Stewartville, MN

Eric Schroeder      6"4"   240    LB/FB      4.79  40 yd time

33" vertical   405 bench   550+  squat

Also basketball and track guy

Has thrown shot over 54'
                http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

Who else is persuing him?

Comment

Originally posted by footballfan
                    SDSU has been in contact with a kid from Stewartville, MN

Eric Schroeder      6"4"   240    LB/FB      4.79  40 yd time

33" vertical   405 bench   550+  squat

Also basketball and track guy

Has thrown shot over 54'
                    Welcome footballfan! Thanks for the info.

Go SDSU!

Comment

From what i understand....NDSU, St Cloud, Augustana, UMD among others are recruiting him
                      http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

Yikes!! I am NOT a USeD Fan at all!!!!!!! I am a fan from South Dakota and prefer SDSU! I just don't want SDSU to become a bigger version of what's going on at Northern.

Comment

With respect to injuries in high school, I think our coaching staff does consider that. And, please consider this. A few years ago Coach Daly recruited a high school kid out of Wisconsin by the name of Matt Beier. Major colleges stayed away from him because he had a knee injury while in high school. Matt had a fabulous career at SDSU.

And, how about Heather Seiler? She had a major knee injury in high school and went through rehab. Our women would never have won the national championship without her.

Comment

As you can tell by my Northern comment, I live in Aberdeen. I am 58 years old, I have been watching football my entire adult life. I say this to prepare you for my next "opinion" I have never watched a hs running back with the combination of speed, power, wiggel, and desire like the one in our towns Catholic hs!! And the word around the coffee shops is he is going to visit SDSU sometime after the first of the year. My kids all attended Central, but I went over to a Roncalli game just to watch him and couldn't beleive my eyes. Tyson DesCamps is the kids name and he is unbelievable!! One year at the state track meet, his soph. year, he ran a leg on the champion relay with a broken bone in his foot!! I hear the North Dakota teams are working hard for him. Hopefully he will stay in state, I know Styg. was up for an in home with he and Taylor Mehlhaff. ps Josh Ranek is the kids alltime hero ;D

Comment

What is going on at Northern that we should be so frightened about? I would be careful here as whether you can stomach it or not we will be recruiting kids from a variety of different areas to be competitive. South Dakota does not produce enough DI athletes to be competitive. In order to compete you have to find kids that have speed and I don't care if they are from Watertown or Miami we need players who possess the talent at this level. Look at our basketball team we have a majority of athletes from Iowa (is that ok)If I'm misinterpretating your comments I apologize, If not get lost!

Comment

Working...
                              X