Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Colorado State connection continues...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Colorado State connection continues...

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/Ne...cfm?Id=46,3497

03/09/2004
    Jacks Add Another Assistant Coach
    South Dakota State has filled another position on its football coaching staff.

Kris Roberts, head coach at Cheyenne Mountain High School in Colorado Springs, will join the Jackrabbit staff this week as defensive line coach.

Roberts attended Colorado State University, earning a bachelor's degree in 2001 and master's degree in 2003.

While pursuing his master's degree, Roberts was a graduate assistant defensive coach on the football staff.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Re: The Colorado State connection continues...

I'm concerned we are signing a high school coach to fill our defense line opening while NDSU is signing former Nebraska coaches.

Comment

I agree JACKGUY.....hopefully he has the knowledge to make up for the inexperience. I trust our coaches made a wise decision and hired an excellent coach...

Go Jacks.....
      http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

Trust me, the experience you gain as a player is very very beneficial. Then as a GA at CSU. Ballard doesn't settle for anything other then the best. He hates to lose! WE WILL BE FINE!!

Comment

Sounds like your closer to the situation then the rest of us. I know Football Coaching positions at SDSU probably don't pay a premium however I think there is a lot of experienced coaches out there looking to jump start there career. NDSU had arguably a more marquee coaching lineup last year and most of them worked for Bohl one year and then departed to new opportunities. I would rather see us develop a coaching group that develops a chemistry and stays together for a while.

Comment

I think that after the probationary period is done, and we've got the endowments up so that we have the full scholarship amount, Stig needs to have his position re-evaluated. If we got the pay for the coaches up I think we could get a real coach in, especially with our new conference. In five years the Great West should be on par with the Big Sky, so I think there would be a lot of successful coaches that would want to coach here with the right salary. Maybe even UND's Lennon?

Comment

I do have a few connections. I have met the new O-cordinator. Seems be alot like Ballard. Same attitude and outlook. I can't help but to assume the d-line coach is similar.

Comment

I concur with SDSUFB. I'm not sold on whether Coach Stig can take us to the next level. The Jackrabbit football program has been stuck in mediocrity for so long that it has become acceptable. No way we should have lost to Winona or UND last year.

Comment

another way to look at it may be that stig can really gather good assistants around him. seems to me that in the high profile colleges or nfl teams that the assistants are more important than the head coaches. Maybe Ballard and the new o cordinator can rally the troops(both on the field and recruiting) and Stig can make the call to go on fourth and one or to kick the extra point. (a little overexaggerated i know but you get my point) I have always thought we needed someone with a little more fire than stig, but i am not in the locker room either so i don't know. Jacks02 i know you can help out in that area. I know from talking with ballard on a casual level that he has more intensity and fire than everything short of the sun. I would assume the new guys are cut from the same cloth since he had some connection in bringing them in. Just another point of view.

Go Rabbits, ding a ling a ling
                  "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

In my opinion, is Stig a great coach? Not even close. Is he great at PR stuff? As good as they come. Honest? Very. Does he hurt us? No, But there are some great coaches out there that would love to have the talent and university to work with like SDSU does. Overall I like Stig. All I know is he better thank his assistants for him still having a job. And Stig will tell you first hand his assistants are great!

GO JACKS!

Comment

Agree with you on all points. I think Stig is being watched very close to see how he rises to the occasion. I would hope they would not hesitate to make a move if it's apparent he can't get it done.

Comment

I am hopeful that this young (CSU connected) staff can make a difference. I would like to see State elevate its game. I feel we are going to have to take some chances on some younger coaches, due to the lack of funding we have as compared to NDSU. I think we can be competitive right away in I-AA and we can rise to the top if we can fund our scholarships.

Alumguy has won me over. I would like to see the other side of Coughlin done, but we need to fully fund our scholarships and build a new locker facility. Winning would solve a lot of problems around campus and wouldn't it be super to be GREAT at Football AND Basketball!

Go State, Give to the Jackrabbit Club!

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUY
                          I'm concerned we are signing a high school coach to fill our defense line opening while NDSU is signing former Nebraska coaches.
                          Lets see what he can do.  I would think this concern was addressed during the interviews.  If this guy could not coach Ballard, would never have given the reference nor staked his reputition on the line just to be surrounded by friends.  Colorado Springs high School probably hire the best even if they are fresh out of graduate school. His network among Colorado High schools could be a big recruiting plus. With NDSU budget makes it possible to go get the Nebraska coaches. Those UNL guys are expecting a good salary and NDSU can match what they want. I think after these past two seasons at UNL, there has been some evidence of real dead wood in that blotted coaching staff. They hung on to these guys as long as the huskers were winning. One 7-7 season and every staff member has to justify their position. Some could not do that and they are presented walking papers, including Craig Bohl.

I think we made the right choice given our budget size. Some of Stig's first staff were very green.

Comment

It would seem that both Fred and Stig trust the CSU system enough to have hired three guys. Who cares if one of them came from the high school ranks. A guy who GA'd at CSU and coached anywhere has just as much right to be at SDSU as someone who GA'd a SDSU and coached at Wartburg (O-line coach Meadows bio).

It is tough to bring in coaches without being able to offer the salary as some schools, but that doesn't mean they are any less talented. If anything they may work harder to earn a higher salary or to work toward that next job.

Tough year coming up, but hopefully the staff that's in place now can make something of it. If not....

Comment

Some of the SDSU Coaching staff are in Sioux Falls for the Staters Club gathering. Would be interested to hear from anyone that attended.

Comment

Working...
                              X