Editorial in Today's Argus Leader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Editorial in Today's Argus Leader

Did anyone else see the editorial in today's Argus Leader?

Re: Editorial in Today's Argus Leader

Can you provide a link? I looked around and didn't see anything worth reading. ???

Comment

There is one letter to the editor thats titled sportsmanship and from a referee, who officated at a game in Luverne MN. The Luverne coach is Tom Rops a former Jack who showed some class in controling a player who had critizied the ref's call.

Comment

I think that he's talking about the editorial that discusses our new conference, and the differences between the schools in it. It end with "Then I relized what brought these schools together. They all prostituted themselves to big time sports."

Comment

Rob:
          There is no editorial today about conference.  What are you talking about?  Looks like another drive by USD fan is at it again.

Comment

Check the print edition, I don't think its online.

Comment

If you got the print edition type it in a message.  Otherwise I could care less about what the Argus has to say. In other words, put up or shut up.

Prostituing big time sports, what a stupid thing to say.

Comment

Less important is what the editorial says and more important is who wrote it. Can this be answered or was it left unsigned as is typical of the passive-aggresive personalities which so plague South Dakota. Give us a name and then we can consider the info. Otherwise forget it.

Its no different then posting something here if its not signed and I think we all know that whats said here is not publishable material (for the most part).
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Here's the article:

SDSU conference

When I first read of South Dkota State University's new football conference, I was confused. I couldn't find anything the seven schools shared.
                  Spread out across thousands of miles, almost every school will have to fly to play almost every other school; university missions vary from three land-grant agricultural-based schools to a high-powered technical institute to a private Catholic school; admission requirements vary from the bare minimus, C-average of Southern Utah to teh highly selective UC Davis where 4.0s are turned away every year; competitive admissions varies with schools such as South Dakota State University accepting all qualified applicants while Davis rejects almost 75 percent of its applicants (the UC system is the most oversubscribed in teh nation); and finally undergraduate enrollment of the schools varies from a low 2,572 at St. Mary's to the high of UC Davis' 30,229.
                  Then I realized what brought them all together: They all prostituted themselves for big-time college sports.
                  Kurt E. Kemper
                  Sioux Falls

Comment

The writer says the schools " ... share nothing in common." Funny, each has an athletic program and each school wants to be Division I.

Comment

That's not an editorial (which is generally a commentary from the editorial staff).  It' looks like a letter to the editor and the Argus is notorious for publishing letters from any kook with an agenda.  

One memorable example I recall:

Writer 1 writes letter complaining about how penitentiary inmates are babied.

Writer 2 (an inmate) writes letter complaining about people who complain about babied inmates.

Writer 3 then sends in letter complaining about inmates who complain about people who complain about babied inmates.  

The Argus published all three of these letters.  

Comment

Mr. Kemper is entitled to his opinion and I respect that. That said, it is nothing more than an opinion with some meaningless facts regarding enrollment, grade point averages, and acceptance data. Don't confuse this with anything more than anti-DI rhetoric. I am glad to see it was a letter to the editor and not an editorial endorsed by the Argus and that it was signed.

I'm not sure what Mr. Kemper's agenda is and I won't try to speculate. I don't believe SDSU is "prostituting" itself to anyone and Mr Kemper provides no evidence to support that statement. Its all hollow criticism most likely driven by fear, anger, jealousy or a combination of all three. I wonder what he intends to do about it other than write a letter to the editor?
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

There's also this from the online edition of the Argus.
                          ---
                          Matt K. Althoff
                          Sioux Falls

published: 3/18/2004

When the administration of South Dakota State University first pitched the idea of moving to NCAA Division I, it cited a desire to cast its institution in a light that will bring greater recognition and, therefore, broader student appeal. Surely we all agree that the ends are admirable. The means, however, are both perplexing and costly.

When the North Dakota Chamber of Commerce suggested dropping North from its state name, hoping to eliminate a stereotype, not a soul could find a way to rectify North Dakota's geography that is undesirable to potential travelers. South Dakota State University's move is no different.

The Great West conference does not pave the way for nationally known powerhouses to play in Brookings. Schools in similar situations, hundreds of miles away, will not fill Jackrabbit stadiums. ESPN will not cover their contests any more than it already does. The ends will not be achieved without cutting off revenues through eliminated regional rivalries and, therefore, placing additional burden on taxpayers as we subsidize plane rides to the West coast.

Stop the move.

---

Comment

These letters are so meaningless, that I really dont get worked up anymore.

Opinions are like noses, everyone has one. I am saying it politely, but with such a limit on the words to be accepted by the Argus, you cant say a whole lot positive in those few words. But something to think about.

Comment

I just think its rediculous. The local and regional rivalries will still be there. If thats what you want look to the schools playing a local/regional schedule. Whats new is the national rivalries. National rivalries will be found in Brookings. I know national rivalries are a new concept to a lot of people but I think its going to catch on with many of us.

Comment

Working...
                              X