I'm new here; got some questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm new here; got some questions

I've casually followed SDSU since the Eighties mainly due to my 6th grade teacher in Wyoming went to SDSU and I don't mean San Diego State.

Welcome to Division I. Hope one day soon South Dakota State and Wyoming will play each other either in basketball or football.

I do have a couple of questions though.

1) Besides the Coyotes of South Dakota and the North Dakota schools, who were your biggest rivals in football?

2) Basketball-wise, has the school been active in joining a conference now you're moving up? I've read on your site lately that the Mid-Continent Conference is a possiblity.

I did post a few weeks ago as a guest poster.

By the way, how big is your enrollment and town? (I'm guessing Brookings? right?

Re: I'm new here; got some questions

OKC_Poke,

It's a real possiblity to see SDSU, and more than likely NDSU, on the Wyoming schedule. Gary Barta, the Wyoming AD, is a NDSU alumni, so he knows both schools well and hopefully will help both schools out with scheduling. I'll let the SDSU fans answer your questions ;D

Comment

Re: I'm new here; got some questions

Originally posted by OKC_Poke
      I've casually followed SDSU since the Eighties mainly due to my 6th grade teacher in Wyoming went to SDSU and I don't mean San Diego State.

Welcome to Division I.  Hope one day soon South Dakota State and Wyoming will play each other either in basketball or football.

I do have a couple of questions though.

1) Besides the Coyotes of South Dakota and the North Dakota schools, who were your biggest rivals in football?

2) Basketball-wise, has the school been active in joining a conference now you're moving up?  I've read on your site lately that the Mid-Continent Conference is a possiblity.

I did post a few weeks ago as a guest poster.

By the way, how big is your enrollment and town?  (I'm guessing Brookings?  right?
      OKC_Poke,

Let me start by saying welcome.  It is great to have you on the board.  

Let me answer your questions:

1.  We would have to include Augustana College of Sioux Falls as a football rival.  Unlike the USD Coyotes we will be playing the Augie Vikings this fall.

2.  The four most likely conferences for SDSU and NDSU to join are the Mid-Con, Big Sky, Horizon, and Missouri Valley.  Every now and then the Sun Belt's name pops up as another conference that  may offer an invite to us.  At this point, with all the movement in D-I athletics, it is hard to say were we will end up. We will just have to see how it all shakes out.

3.  You are right SDSU is located in Brookings.  SDSU has an enrollment of 10,561.  The City of Brookings had 18,504 residents in the 2000 census.

Finally let me thank you for your welcome to D-I.  I too am looking forward to the day that SDSU and Wyoming meet on the field of play.  Hopefully it will be the start of a great regional rivalry.  I would like to think that it will happen sooner rather then latter.  Don't be a stranger stop back any time.  

Go State!

Comment

Thanks. 89rabbit

After reading this board for a while, I realize the rivalry between the Jackrabbits and Coyotes remind me of the OU/OSU rivalry. Only on a much smaller scale.

As for basketball, I think SDSU would fit in the Big Sky perfectly along with NDSU, Northern Colorado, and Southern Utah.

On a side note, Denver NEEDS to move out of the Sun Belt. The Mid-Continent or the Big Sky would be better for them travel-wise.

If Sac State leaves the Big Sky for say the Big West (which makes absolute sense), I can easily see the Big Sky inviting Southern Utah, Northern Colorado, NDSU, and you all (I've lived in Oklahoma TOO long).

Wyoming and South Dakota State will probably start a basketball series real soon.

Comment

Working...
        X