Pardon me but,...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pardon me but,...

What is this Hobo Day that SDSU has on the football schedules? ???

By the way, why the nickname Jackrabbits? I like it but I never understood it. Is it because there is a lot of jackrabbits near Brookings? I hope I don't sound like a USD fan.

Love your colors. Your helmets remind me of Sillwater (OK) High School's helmets. They have the same color scheme. But they're the Pioneers.

Re: Pardon me but,...

Why Jackrabbits?  My preferred story is, back in the day, SDSU (SDSC in those days) was playing the U. of Minnesota in football, and the Minnesota paper said the South Dakota boys were "quick as jackrabbits."

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/Tr...scot/Index.cfm

Hobo Day?  I've heard that there were actually many "hobo days" back in the early 1900's...SDSU's is the only one left.

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/Tr...oDay/Index.cfm
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Hobo Day is our homecoming day. It dates back to the era when hobos were common. There are various stories about how it started but traditions over the years have involved students dressing up like hobos and "bumming" meals at homes in the community, bearding growing contest etc. The homecoming parade features "hobomobiles" as well as floats. A hobomobile is basically a ready to junk car with a hobo shanty built on it, etc. It is a real fun and unique set of tradtions if a little quaint.

There are also various stories for the jackrabbit mascot. Jackrabbits used to be very plentiful in the area. They can still be found around here but not in the numbers of previous years. There is also the story of the jactrabbits defeating a school from another state in which the visiting sports writer wrote that the SDSU team could jump like jackrabbits or run like jackrabbits depending on the version you hear. Still another story says that the eidtors of the school yearbook were looking for a new name and came up with jackrabbits. In any case, we are the only Jackrabbits of which I am aware and our fans are welcomed to the world's largest rabbit den at the beginning of each basketball game.

Comment

(For what its worth) There are several high schools using the Jackrabbit nickname but no others at the college level (I believe), The Kansas School for the Deaf (foder for plenty of cheap jokes from USD fans) and Long Beach Poly HS in CA are 2 I know of. I only know because I have performed multiple internet searches using the Jackrabbit name.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Also... Forney, TX. High School uses"Jackrabbits". Its a great mascot, I like the fact that no other NCAA team has it.

Comment

Add Messa High School (the biggest) in the Phoenix metro to the list.

Comment

You can add Delta High School of Delta, Utah to the list of schools with the Jackrabbit nickname.

I have a couple of cousins who graduated from there.

Comment

Working...
              X