Coughlin-Alumni Upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coughlin-Alumni Upgrades

I know many on this board long for an upgraded Coughlin-Alumni Stadium. I also know that we have a lot on our plate. I think Texas_Jacks_Fan suggested that he, like I, was ready to give more if we had a plan in place. A plan that could be shared with Alumni and Friends. I was looking at UNI's web site to see how their recruiting was coming along, when I ran across this:

http://www.uni-foundation.org/founda...rtsarena.shtml

I think it is a good example of what we could do, when the time is right to push for an upgraded Coughlin-Alumni.

Go State!

Re: Coughlin-Alumni Upgrades

I was on the SDSU Alumni Council when the Visions Campaign to raise 50 million was started. (Visons Campaign occurred durin 1993-1998.)  The Alumni Council was not directly involved in the fund raising but we got a number of briefings on how this was being conducted.

I recall one meeting particular where there was a presentation by some consultants from Ohio.  They indicated that to raise a significant amount of money for a specific project, the best way to get there and it was not a rocket science conclusion was to attempt to get a large donor(s) on board who can and will contribute a significant amount of money. Nothing complicated, and very obvious, but sometimes we need to be remined to use common sense when it comes to raising funds.

I think UNI has followed this same philosphy to a certain degree. I recall a big press release a while back when this drive started.

Under Cedar Valley they have strories of individuals who have been generous. This MacLeod project is a very ambituious project and they may have maxed out on the big helpers and now the thrust of the drive has shifted to smaller donors who they are hoping will make up the difference.

I think SDSU learned from the Staduim State campaign in  the 1950's that we need to be carefull about going after the small people as far as when and where.  You be surprised how many old geezers will still complain about the Staduim for State drive that got only a half loaf in terms of the current Coughlin Alumni Staduim.

I suspect that scholarships are still the major priority to make our move to D1AA.  Those of you who are much younger than I am can see in the College On the Hill book, what Coughlin original blue prints looked like if the funding had been completed as planned.  We would with out a doubt be ready for D1AA, but we are not there yet.

I dont think the methods of fund raising should stop any one who feels compelled to donate.  Its between you and God and your wallet. ;D

Comment

SDSUFAN,

You are right.  I too think Scholarships are the first push.  I also think big donors are the foundation to build off of.  The other thing that we Jackrabbit fans need (myself included) is a little patience.  We won't be able to do everything all at once.

Here is a link to the origianl UNI press conference:

http://www.unipanthers.com/athletics...leod/index.asp

UNI To Build New Sports Arena: McLeodUSA Center
      July 25, 2000

CEDAR FALLS, Iowa — The University of Northern Iowa today announced receipt of the largest gift in the institution's 124-year history. Clark and Mary McLeod, on behalf of McLeodUSA, will donate $4 million to help build a new sports arena on the UNI campus.  

The important thing to notice is that, although they are ready to start building now they got $4 million to kick off the project in 2000.  It has taken then 4 years to get their ducks in a row.  So lets give the folks at SDSU and the Foundation that benefit of the doubt.  They have been doing a great job and I trust them.  I only offered up the UNI example as what can be done in the future.

As most everyone knows, I am all for improvments to Coughlin-Alumni.  However I feel it is important that people know that it really is a nice facility (and I-AA caliber) today.  Could it use some improvments?  Yes.  Should it be a priority? Yes.  Should it be our top priority?  Probably not.  Here is a link that shows many of I-AA stadiums:

http://www.eteamz.com/I-AAfootball/locations/

Take a look around, I think you will see that Coughlin does ok.

Go State!

Comment

SDSUfan and rabbit, you are both correct, it would be nice to start a fund drive off with a big gift. I too realize that funding scholarships are whats important over the next couple of years (its a matter of priorities right now). I'm just still struggling with putting the wellness center onto the HPER center. I really wish that that money could somehow be incorporated into the Coughlin Stadium project (killing 2 birds with one stone... so to speak). I trust and know that our university officials have studied everything and I'm sure there probably is a good reason for building on to Frost. I just really want the completion of Coughlin Stadium. Maybe I'm just an overzealous fan.

Comment

On that above stadium link it shows SW Missouri St. stadium. I have been to games in this stadium a couple of times. It is double decked on the main side with some individual chair seats in the lower portion. With a press box on top. It also has locker rooms/offices/training facilities underneath it. It not only looks great- but it's a great stadium for viewing the game. That (main half) of their stadium probably seats 12,000. This is what I hope we can build someday. What does something like this cost?? 10 mil.?? 20mil??  Are there any construction/engineers on the board to enlighten me on the $$$.

EASTERN KENTUCKY also has this same concept for their stadium.

Comment

I also like this design because I believe it could be built in steps at different times.  We maybe couldn't afford to build everything at once, but we could build the bottom portion with luxury boxes, chair backs, concessions,  and lockerrooms/storage.  Then in the future we could add the second level.  I would like it to be built all at once, but I think that would be hard to do in the immediate future.  Maybe breaking the project up would create a better opportunity for stadium improvements.

Comment

Here's a nice panorama view of SMSU's stadium.
              http://www.smsu.edu/tour/panoramic/p...D=1&stop=3

Comment

Granted the SWMU looks attractive especially the home side of the field, but the vistor's side appears to be wood construction and not overly attractive.  It looks like there is a refurbish job ahead of them, if not now then soon. I hope can top this staduim when we do upgrade. Nothing wrong with the design though.

Comment

Very good point Charger, The bottom half could be the locker rooms/ chair seats/luxury boxes. How cool would Coughlin look with that for the home side, and the existing side for visitors. All seats done in yellow and blue. ;D Dare to dream!!!!
                  That panorama link to SMSU stadium is awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Charger13
                    I also like this design because I believe it could be built in steps at different times.  We maybe couldn't afford to build everything at once, but we could build the bottom portion with luxury boxes, chair backs, concessions,  and lockerrooms/storage.  Then in the future we could add the second level.  
                    That is how SMSU did it.

http://www.smsu.edu/map/BldgTemplate.asp?b=53

The Robert W. Plaster Sports Complex, located at 1015 E. Grand, is the home of the SMSU Football Bears. Built in 1930, the athletic field became the stadium in 1941 and was known for many years as Briggs Stadium in honor of Coach A. W. Briggs, longtime head of SMSU's athletic department. . . .

The facility became the Robert W. Plaster Sports Complex when the stadium underwent a major renovation in the early 1980's that included the installation of an artificial playing surface, an all-weather track, a second level of seating, twelve racquetball courts, men's and women's locker rooms, five classrooms, and a state-of-the-art fitness center.

I have been to it once, I think the visitors side is concrete, but I can't be 100% sure.  Would love to do something like that to Coughlin, it would be GREAT!  ;D

Go State!

Comment

Working...
                    X