Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

San Jose St. Academic Senate votes on football.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Jose St. Academic Senate votes on football.

San Jose St. is a I-A football program that many at the Big Sky think will be moving down to I-AA (and into the Big Sky).  This has been one of the reasons that they have not moved forward with an invite for NDSU and ourselves.  Although this vote was symbolic in nature, it is on the record.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...8471749.htm?1c

Academic Senate vote could lead to end of football at San Jose State

BY BECKY BARTINDALE

Knight Ridder Newspapers

SAN JOSE, Calif. - (KRT) - In a move that could threaten San Jose State University's 110-year-old football tradition, the Academic Senate voted by secret ballot Monday to limit funding for sports teams and recommended withdrawing from Division I-A and the Western Athletic Conference altogether.

The action is meant to send a strong signal to the new university president - who could be named as soon as Tuesday - that in tight budget times, academics take priority over football. . . .

Although the senate vote is only symbolic, Brent said he hopes will counter what the president will hear from a group of very loud boosters who don't have the best interests of the university as a whole at heart." . . .

The university could substantially reduce spending by eliminating Division 1-A football, Brent said. He said San Jose State could stay in Division I and play all other sports in the Big West Conference, which does not require its members to play football. The university also could play Division I-AA football in a different conference. Today, San Jose State is one of six among 23 CSU campuses that fields a football team, and one of three in Division I-A.

In a four-page e-mail that was circulated on campus, Interim President Joseph Crowley called for all interested parties to talk about the future of Spartan athletics. He urged against voting to withdraw from Division I-A, though he supports scaling back general fund contributions to 35-45 percent of the athletic budget.

Figuring out what to do with the athletic program requires "careful, comprehensive examination of the financial and other ramifications for the university," Crowley said. He suggested that a withdrawal could hurt financial donations from alumni.

That resonates with Ed Mosher, class of 1952, a donor who serves on several university committees, most of them involved with fund-raising.

"If San Jose State threw out Division I football, I'd write them out of my will, never step foot on the campus again and resign all the boards I'm on because they would become just another mediocre state university," Mosher said. . . .

Re: San Jose St. Academic Senate votes on football

This news could potentially (sp?) kill off the Western Athletic Conference.

So far, Rice, SMU, and Tulsa have all accepted invitations to join Conference USA as of the 2005-06 season.

Now, the MAJOR rumor is that Texas-El Paso could end up joining them in CUSA as an replacement school to TCU who will join the Mountain West as of 2005.

To make matters worse for the WAC, La Tech could end up leaving to save travel costs.

So to recap, 6 of the 10 current WAC schools could end up going elsewhere (with 3 for sure).

Now that leaves Boise State, Nevada, Fresno State, and Hawaii fighting over 3 spots should the MWC decide to expand AGAIN.

Fun times lay ahead.

Personally, I sincerely hope SDSU goes to the Big Sky soon.

Comment

Originally posted by OKC_Poke
      This news could potentially (sp?) kill off the Western Athletic Conference.

So far, Rice, SMU, and Tulsa have all accepted invitations to join Conference USA as of the 2005-06 season.

Now, the MAJOR rumor is that Texas-El Paso could end up joining them in CUSA as an replacement school to TCU who will join the Mountain West as of 2005.

To make matters worse for the WAC, La Tech could end up leaving to save travel costs.

So to recap, 6 of the 10 current WAC schools could end up going elsewhere (with 3 for sure).

Now that leaves Boise State, Nevada, Fresno State, and Hawaii fighting over 3 spots should the MWC decide to expand AGAIN.

Fun times lay ahead.

Personally, I sincerely hope SDSU goes to the Big Sky soon.
      Taking it to the next level. . . I have heard that to stay alive, the WAC takes Utah St., N. Mexico St., and Idaho from the Sunbelt.  This would take away the Big Sky dream of getting San Jose St. and Idaho for the Big Sky.  At this point of the what if game, Sac-State decides to join the Big West/GWFC.  Then the Big Sky has to ask nicely for NDSU and SDSU to join.  Finally to replace the loss of the two Dakota State Universities (one with Sac-State) the University of San Diego leaves the Pioneer League and joins the GWFC.  Isn't it fun to play the what if game.   ;D

For those who have not seen it there is a grid that runs through many scenarios.  It has been a little while since it was updated (3/29/04), but it is still a pretty good resource:

http://collegesportsinfo.com/grid/

Go State!

Comment

The WAC already took Utah State AND New Mexico State just days after Rice, SMU, and Tulsa said "I do" to Conference USA.

Both Ag schools join in 2005.

BTW, love your scenerios about Big Sky expansion, 89rabbit.

Comment

I also think North Texas said "I do" to the WAC. 89 rabbits's senario makes so much sense, I have come to that conclusion also. That would leave the Great West as a mostly California league with S. Utah and N. Colorado. but the geography would be much better if all that were to happen.

Comment

Actually, North Texas did not say "I do" to the WAC as of yet. But knowing Karl Benson and the WAC Presidents, the WAC will invite North Texas JUST to keep Louisiana Tech who'll probably leave within a year or two afterwards anyway. Love politics!

As for Great West/Big West/Big Sky fun, I agree. 89rabbit's ideas makes complete sense. Which means tha his idea or something similiar will never happen.

If anything makes perfect sense and saves money, it won't happen! Murphy's Law!

Comment

Working...
            X