New Trophy Game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Trophy Game?

Just an idea i thought i would float here first.... maybe a half bison/half rabbit trophy we could call a jackalo? iowa and minnesota play for a pig so it wouldn't be too ridiculous... any thoughts or suggestions???

Re: New Trophy Game?

I like the idea. I really think in all sports the competition between the Dakotas two landgrant universities could become a major rivalary as we both venture into DI!

Comment

There was a discussion of this a while ago over on bisonville.com. My favorite idea was to play for The Big Stick. This honors Teddy Roosevelt, for whom both ND and SD have ties (ND via their Badlands, SD via Mt. Rushmore).

Get a big piece of flooded-out Missouri Riverbottom Cottonwood tree, paint it blue, yellow, and green. Winning team gets to parade The Big Stick around the stadium after the victory and display it prominently on their campus for the next year.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Yes-The stick is still an excellent idea

Comment

That's a GREAT idea. Someone should bring it up to Oien. Something to really kick off the rivalry.

...and the MN/IA pig's name is Floyd of Rosedale

Comment

Things are heating up again about a new trophy game:

http://22.in-forum.com/articles/inde...p;section=News

Students to set stakes for new college rivalry
            Forum staff reports,

The Forum
            Published Thursday, April 08, 2004

As one football rivalry ends, some North Dakota State University students are looking to spice up another.

Members of the Blue Key Honor Society at NDSU have set up a border rendezvous with South Dakota State University on April 21. . . .

One topic of discussion likely will be what to use as a traveling trophy.

Both NDSU and SDSU are moving to Division I athletics next fall, setting up a natural interstate rivalry. NDSU will no longer compete against its longtime rival, the University of North Dakota.

Go State!

Comment

Looks like we find out the name of the trophy the Jacks will be handing over Oct. 9th  ;D :

From The Grand Forks Herald  ???

A new rivalry

North Dakota State and South Dakota State will kickoff their upcoming NCAA Division I rivalry by announcing a new traveling trophy for the winner of the annual Bison-Jackrabbit football game.

The announcement will be made Wednesday on the North Dakota-South Dakota state line.

Guests will include NDSU president Joseph Chapman, SDSU president Peggy Miller, athletic directors and football coaches from both schools.

The event, scheduled for 11:30 a.m., is open to fans of both schools. To attend, take North Dakota Exit 1 off of I-29, drive west one-half mile to the large tent on the south side of the road.

Comment

Will Oien be allowed to touch the stick under the terms of his probation?

Comment

I think it is great that they are doing this at the boarder.  I hope they already have the trophy made, it would be nice for the trophy to get to visit North Dakota once. 

Go SDSU!

Comment

Originally posted by goyotes
                    Will Oien be allowed to touch the stick under the terms of his probation?
                    Hey we still have baseball and Oien was not fired like the last two AD's you had.  I would not be coming on this board and making snide remarks such as the one above.  Go get your own damn house in order. USD Fans have no room to be making any comments about SDSU without looking at their own sorry A#S

Comment

Isn't that a typical response out of a usd graduate? They are such a classless bunch. They can't do anything to promote themselves so they try to take you down to their level.

Comment

USD. . .never heard of them.

Comment

BisonMav posted this over at AnygivenSaturday.com:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/cgi-...mp;thread=3985

From today's Fargo Forum, the new traveling trophy.

Schools to unveil new traveling trophy: Border marker to be prize in NDSU, SDSU football rivalry

By Jeff Kolpack, The Forum

Published Wednesday, April 21, 2004

If the North Dakota State and South Dakota State football game is anything like the 1880s border battle for land, then fans are in for a war.
                          That's the hope of student and administrative leaders. They will unveil a football traveling trophy between the schools at a state-line ceremony a half mile west of Interstate 29 today.

It is expected to be a depiction of 720 7-foot quartzite monuments that were set at half-mile intervals to mark the North Dakota and South Dakota border.

Go SDSU, beat the Bison!

Comment

Big day for the Argus, two stories on SDSU leading the way.

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Th...article1.shtml

SDSU's football rivalry with NDSU gains a name, trophy
                            By Jeremy Fugleberg
                            For the Argus Leader

published: 4/22/2004

The South Dakota State football team has something new to play for next season: The Dakota Marker.

A stand of trees and shrubs on the wind-swept border between North Dakota and South Dakota played host Wednesday to a new beginning in the football rivalry between the Jackrabbits and North Dakota State.

Students, athletes, and administrators from both schools met just yards away from a historic red quartzite marker at the border to announce efforts to increase the sports feud between the two football teams.

Both schools are moving to Division I next season in all sports - except football where both will play in Division I-AA. The schools are founding members in the six-team, football-only Great West Football Conference. NDSU travels to Brookings for a football game on Oct. 9.

The marker on the border will serve as a model for the new "Dakota Marker," which will be a travelling trophy for the NDSU-SDSU football series.

"We feel strongly that this marker represents the history of both the states and will serve as a great rivalry trophy for many years to come," said NDSU student Adam Jones, who is president of the Blue Key Honor Society and is credited with coming up with the idea.

The cost of the trophy will be split between the Blue Key group and the SDSU Students Association.

Daniel Mostad, NDSU student body president, said declaring the rivalry made sense because so many SDSU Jackrabbit and NDSU Bison football fans already travel between the two cities for games. . . .

Fred Oien, SDSU athletic director, said the rivalry announcement and the marker were perfect moves.

"I think absolutely the students hit this one on the head," he said. "It's got appropriateness, it represents the history of our two states (and) it marks borders, which is part of a rivalry. They could've picked a better symbol. . . .

SDSU President Peggy Gordon Miller said the games would be "the rivalry of the territory" . . .

"You're taking a first step--you're being the pioneers that your ancestors were," she said. "You know how to be pioneers, you have the history of it and you know what great success comes from courage and determination and quality." . . .

The border markers' history goes back to 1891 when a surveyor named Charlie Bates was hired to mark the border between the two states, according to published reports.

The quartzite columns were quarried in Sioux Falls and carved into columns 7 feet long and 10 inches square. The markers were sunk into the grounds so only about 4 feet showed and were marked "N.D." on their north sides and "S.D." on their south sides.

Bates placed the 720 monuments every mile and at section corners on the border.

Jones said the both groups of students are working to find someone who will make the trophy. But the design is still up in the air because a true quartzite replica would weigh almost 500 lbs. . .

NDSU President Daniel Chapman said the rivalry shows the strength of both schools.

"It's going to be a time of transformation for the way that the country view these two universities," he said. "We're emerging on the national scene as models of contemporary land-grant universities.

This is a time when our students have come forward and shown us the way to market and move forward on the national scene on a whole other area for us: Division I athletics."

Go SDSU, beat the Bison! ;D

Comment

Here is the offical Great West release, some good pics:

http://greatwestfootball.collegespor...042204aaa.html

The winner of the NDSU-SDSU football game will be awarded the "Dakota Marker" trophy.

HANKINSON, N.D. --A new era in the rivalry between NDSU and South Dakota State University was unveiled April 21, with the announcement of a new traveling trophy. The "Dakota Marker" trophy will be presented to the winner of the Bison-Jackrabbit football game. Both schools are moving to NCAA Division I status in the coming academic year.

North Dakota State and South Dakota State will both play in the Great West Football Conference. NDSU and SDSU play Oct. 9 in Brookings, SD, next season. . . .

Comment

Working...
                              X