Winona State Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winona State Game

Its a quiet day so was catching up on posts over on D2Football.com and found this interesting post.  Apparently the home and home games with WSU and NWMSU had escape clauses in them that allowed the D2 opponent to back out if we went D1AA.

NWMSU apparently excercised their clause, and the reason is that they would have gotten only 9 points in strength of schedule by playing even a provisional D1AA whereas if they played a full D2 opponent, they get 14 points. The 14 and 9 points would apply to a win, and if WSU losses which I hope will happen, they will get only 5 points playing SDSU.  

The MIAA is starting to tighten up from top to bottum in parity so those 5 points could make the difference in making the playoffs.

Winona fans seem very optumistic about 2004, despite the graduation losses, they have kids that are talented so I think we could have our hands full again only this time in Brookings. SDSU must play like a D1AA team and come away with a big win.  

A WSU poster made the below comments:

"We did sign a home/home with SDSU. We could of backed out of the game due to clause in the contract. As did NWMSU with SDSU for going 1-AA. WSU decided to honor the contract. One big reason----SDSU is the only team (NCC) team that agreed to a home/home. No one else would. So we feel we should honor the contract. Now that the NCC needs games in the future they have started to come around. UND finally agreed to Home/Home with WSU. St. Cloud also.

Winona was once not good enough to play, now we are to dangerous to play. Especially at home..we have not lost since 1999. Most top tier teams will not play us at home. That is why the UND game is going to be bigger than the SDSU game this past year. The UND game on Sept. 14th 2005 will also mark and celebrate 110 years of football at Winona. We are planning a large all-football reunion to celebrate the original team of 1895 and the teams after."

Keep in mind the SOS setup is a good reason to leave D2, its seems to encourage status quo.  

Re: Winona State Game

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
    ...Keep in mind the SOS setup is a good reason to leave D2, its seems to encourage status quo.  
    Interesting!

Comment

Re: Winona State Game

I think a lesson here is that if you give someone a shot (like giving WSU a home-and-home when no one else in nose-in-the-air NCC would) it almost NEVER hurts you in the long run.

Do the right thing. Always. For ever. You'll come out ahead in the end.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
      X