Hobo Day Set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobo Day Set

I apologize if this has already been mentioned on the board. But, get out your long underwear for Hobo Day, 2004. I have it on very good authority that Hobo Day will be Saturday, November 6 when we play Augustana.

The Hobo Day Committee selected this date. As I hear it, the September games didn't allow for enough planning time for the event. October 9 will be Beef Bowl and the emphasis placed on the Dakota Marker trophy. I suppose there will be a lot of comment on this but the difficult scheduling for our first year in DIAA didn't allow for many options for an October Hobo Day.

Remember, the first Hobo Day was played on November 12. 1912.

Re: Hobo Day Set

Alumguy,

Great info, thanks for posting it. Having to set a date so the committee can start planning is understandable.  Hobo Day is a BIG event.  I would be in Brookings if they played it in Dec.    Any word on filling our Sept. 25th date?

Go State!   ;D

Comment

I thought we were kind of crazy for emulating the 1913 Hobo Day by holding it late in the fall last year, but who knows we may have a tradition in the making.

One of the things I noticed in reviewing the Old Jackrabbits from 1912-1919 is that football season did not have it beginning until Sept 30 and there were not always weekly games. The seasons ran up to Thanksgiving sometimes. So Nov 13 was probably about in the middle of the season. This first Hobo day was a spontaneous event from what I have read. No committees to speak of, but that all came later.

The Jacks also had a fall camp in the true sense of the word. They traveled as a group to Lake Oakwood and camped. Fished and hunted and then practiced football in between. Sounds like a wild tale, but Harry Buck Ewing was an excellent coach with ideas. I read also the Brookings business men helped finance this camp which indicates the Jackrabbit Club got started very early.

The thing about South Dakota's Novembers is that they are very unpredicatable. Sometimes they can be balmy and then the next year you have 12 inches of snow on the ground by Nov 6th. Having Augustana as an opponent will help the transition to D1AA and is a good choice for Hobo Day.

The planning is excellent experience for those involved and will make community leaders for the future.

Comment

What are the festivities for the Beef Bowl? Are there free steaks involved?

Comment

No free stakes, some auctioned and some still on the hoof auctioned. For the general public, you pay 7 bucks for a beef and bun, chips, fruit salad and a dish of SDSU Dairy Manufactured ice cream. The ice cream is made on campus by dairy science majors and is worth the seven bucks by itself. ;D.

Next to Hobo Day, this game seems to draw a better crowd then with games with USD. All of the cattle industry are part of the event. Having a large green and gold contingent from the North will also add to a good crowd.

I think they were wise to use this game to promote the new trophy. We hope it will stay in Brookings. ;D

Comment

SDSUFAN
            Thanks for the nice comments on the ice cream. That major is near and dear to me. ;D

Comment

Working...
            X