• Show
Clear All

• Big Sky Expansion

From Bison_Kent at Bison Insider

Big Sky expansion catches NDSUs interest
    By Jeff Kolpack
    jkolpack@forumcomm.com
    The Forum - 02/18/2004

The Big Sky Conference will again take up expansion in a conference call of league presidents today. But don't expect North Dakota State to play into in the discussion.

It appears the expansion talk will be on the number of league teams, which is currently eight. The conference reportedly is interested in going to 10 teams.

"Last year, they were so strong in saying they were fine with eight"; NDSU athletic director Gene Taylor said Tuesday. "Now in the last few months, we"re hearing they"re reconsidering their position. That gives us some enthusiasm.";

Jaynee Nadolski, the information director for the Big Sky, confirmed that expansion is on today's agenda, but nothing specific will be addressed.

"They're just talking about it" she said. "There"s nothing else to add until they talk about it."

NDSU and South Dakota State made a strong push to the Big Sky Council of Presidents last February. But the group said it wasn"t interested in moving its boundaries east.

The Big Sky consists of Montana State, Montana, Northern Arizona, Eastern Washington, Sacramento State (Calif.), Portland State (Ore.), Weber State (Utah) and Idaho State.

NDSU also is interested in the Mid-Continent Conference. Taylor said that league's annual meeting is held during the conference basketball tournament. He said his understanding is some Mid-Con schools want expansion on the agenda and some do not.

"We're hoping they'll have the same sort of discussions" as the Big Sky, Taylor said.

The fact the Big Sky presidents are meeting by teleconference call -- and not like last year in a meeting at the Salt Lake City airport -- is considered a sign that not much substance is expected from it.

If something promising in the lines of expansion does come from it, Taylor was asked if NDSU will approach the league differently than last year.

"If they say they want to expand, then we"ll probably take a different look in how we approach them" Taylor said. "I won"t say we'll do it differently -- President Chapman will still play a major role -- but we"ll have to evaluate how we present ourselves to them. Whether it will be to be more aggressive or more behind the scenes, I don't know."

NDSU is in its first year of a five-year transition to Division I, although this year is being spent in Division II as part of exploratory concept. The school will spend at least its first year in Division I as an independent.

Readers can reach Forum reporter Jeff Kolpack at (701) 241-5546
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: Big Sky Expansion

was there a problem with the way taylor approached the big sky the first time? was there friction or something?

Comment

friction?  What friction? No there was no friction.  It was about travel and the BSC wanting to expend to the east into the Dakotas..  Hard to say what all the issues were in the discussion.  Maybe we should stay D2 and enjoy the new Salke Field at St Cloud. ;D

Comment

sdsufan-why did that question deserve that kind of response. it was not to offend, it was an honest question. i guess i kinda can understand some defensiveness with everybody telling sdsu is wrong but i like the move and wish sdsu success. i was just wondering why anybody would ask why talyor would be asked to "approach the league differently." thats all

Comment

I found this on NDSU board. Perhaps a reason for the decision?

http://www.i-aa.com/news/article_3128.shtml

Comment

I wouldn't put to much stock into anything Doug says. I've seen him interviewed a couple of times. He can't seem to get past the fact that Idaho and Boise State left the Big Sky. He wants Idaho back so bad he can taste it. If that can't happen (because Idaho won't move back down to I-AA) then all he wants to talk about is the rest of the Big Sky moving up.

I am sure that Montana could make the jump and Montana St. might be able to as well (although most Montana fans seem to want to stay in I-AA if you look at the eGriz board) but beyond that get real. He is just posturing.

It may not matter anyway, if the rumors over on chicagohoops.com are correct we are going to the Mid-Con. I personally would be ok with that since they play in what would be our natural recruiting areas (and would play many teams close to me down here in KC). It could also be a stepping stone to the Missouri Valley/Gateway, which is my first choice.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Mid Con does not have football though even if we do go with them for everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by JBNJBQ
                Mid Con does not have football though even if we do go with them for everything else.
                The MidCon is providing administrative duties for the Great West Football Conference. There already is a home for football, and it's run by the MidCon.

Comment

Working...
                X