A bad move?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A bad move?

Am I the only one who thinks this D1 thing is a mistake?

Re: A bad move?

Originally posted by 91rabbit
    Am I the only one who thinks this D1 thing is a mistake?
    91rabbit:
    Welcome aboard and keep posting. Yes most of the posters are excited about the move and we have all studied the issues with an open mind. No one in the SDSU adminstration said this move would be instant UCLA.

Its a move about the future and its going to take 20 years to see advantages in making the move.

There is a board called www.D2Football.com that has an NCC discussion section. Right now there is concern about the NCC and NSIC conferences merging or finding members. The Northern Sun Intercolliage Conference is worried about the NCC spearing off their members such as Winona State for potential replacements for NDSU and SDSU.

I really dont want to debate the issues anymore. The decision with BOR approval was President Millers to make. She made the decision last August and fund drive to endow the extra scholarships is in full swing so it is to me a dead issue. By and large most of our Alums have started to come around so the naysayers are becoming a small majority. No one wants to listen to a crying Jim Marking or Harry Mansheim anymore.

Comment

Keep posting but shut up about the possible negative ramifications of the move? I have been negative and am still at the moment but could be persuaded to see the light if I could engage in some civilized dialogue.

Comment

What is your definition of civilized dialogue?

The debate is over as far as I am concerned. The negative ramifications have been studied by the two studies and a committee made up of faculty, fans and coaches. What are the negative ramifications?

Comment

Keep posting but shut up about the possible negative ramifications of the move?  I have been negative and am still at the moment but could be persuaded to see the light if I could engage in some civilized dialogue.
          I think its important to hear some of the concerns of those who are uncertain about the move to DI so I appreciate your presence here, 91.

Can you be more specific about the negative ramifications? What are your greatest concerns? I doubt that I can address them, but I suspect some of those who are more knowledgable could. You may have to tolerated a little jingoism but remember we are individuals who are passionate about the move and are behind it 100%. Now, that doesn't mean we don't have concerns about the "growing pains" that will be part of this move. We are just able to see the "big picture".

Lastly, what are the benefits of remaining DII and continuing to accept concessions that further dilute the quality of athletics and institutions at the DII level? Why would we want to delay the move to DI while the progressive, future directed, institutions in DII are moving up? Would you suggest that we follow the lead of other institutions in the region and support cuts in athletic programs and scholarships to allow smaller, less endowed universities to compete on the same level as SDSU? Please provide us with some insight and welcome to the Board.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

How about an open mind? Your tone sounds a bit strident? I just join this thing and am already accused of heresy. Two quick reasons: 1. Money 2. The destruction of the venerable NCC. We enjoyed going to Mankato in recent years to see the Jacks play. Unfortunately I cannot frequent Cal-Davis.

Comment

How about an open mind?  Your tone sounds a bit strident?  I just join this thing and am already accused of heresy.  Two quick reasons:  1. Money 2. The destruction of the venerable NCC.  We enjoyed going to Mankato in recent years to see the Jacks play.  Unfortunately I cannot frequent Cal-Davis.
              Be a bigger man and try to let things such as "tone" and innuendo slide of your back, 91.  You are bucking the trend on this Board so you have to expect some resistance, wether you like it or not.  The money issue will be taken care or, trust me.

Granted, we all like going to Mankato, but try to imagine going to Williams arena or Carver-Hawkeye or Iowa St or Madison, WI or Lincoln, NE or etc...  Granted that will not happen right away, but I believe it will eventually.  

Its about supporting SDSU Jackrabbit athletics and SDSU as an institution.  Citing loss of the enjoyment you gained by following the Jacks all the way to Mankato really seems a little selfish.  Think about the opportunity now available for athletes and students in and around S.D. who want to attend a DI university.  That can do so and stay right in there home state or region.  Stick around 91, I think you might come around some more.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Don't worry, I can handle plenty of tone and innuendo. As I said earlier, I may have some room to grow, so how about letting me opine a bit before tearing my head off?

My passion for SDSU is second to none. That being said, I do keep Jackrabbit ATHLETICS in perspective.

Comment

My passion for SDSU is second to none.  That being said, I do keep Jackrabbit ATHLETICS in perspective.
                  Innuendo, I see.

Comment

Well, this should be fun. I can't wait to see how many posts we get on this deal.

Comment

How about an open mind?  Your tone sounds a bit strident?  I just join this thing and am already accused of heresy.  Two quick reasons:  1. Money 2. The destruction of the venerable NCC.  We enjoyed going to Mankato in recent years to see the Jacks play.  Unfortunately I cannot frequent Cal-Davis.
                      Alum Guy:

As I stated above the move has been made and its a dead issue. I dont think there is any more issues to debate.  The debate is over.

If going to Mankato was the only trip this guy made, well he has missed a number of good trips and enjoyable time.  Cannot frequent Davis implies, that I would not give up my beer and Dairy Queen money to pay for a nice trip.

Being retired, I am planning at least three trips this fall.

I found out last week that I can stay at some friends house in Salt Lake City, and then scoot down i-15 to Cedar City to see the SUU vs SDSU game. The distance is about 225 miles and also can scoot back after the game.

Cal Poly is located in San Luis Opisbo on the coast below San Jose and above Santa Barbara.  The San Luis area is some of the most beautifal parts of California. Its not smog driven and I am looking forward to this trip.

I made trips to Missoula Montana in 1988 and 1993 when we played the Griz.  Bozeman is on the way and have never stopped to see what Montana State is all about so am planning a trip for that game as well.

If Jerry Lohr has some non-alchoholic wine, I may even consider the Davis game.

Granted it will cost more to follow the Jacks, but think of those out of state alums who never get to see the Jacks play and now will get that opportunity.  We have alums in other places than Mankato.  Those in Mankato should be able to come to Brookings to see the Jacks. Its not that far.

I dont know where 91rabbit is located, but some people in Brookings carp and complain about traveling taxes, out of state hunters, and I get tired of hearing about it.
                      Travel should not be limited to a hunting trip to the Black Hills.

I have driven for 19 years 250 miles one way to take in the home games in Brookings and seldom miss a game.
                      So 91rabbit save your beer money and think big for a change.

Comment

Traveling to away games is only half of the picture. Think about all of the teams that will be coming to Brookings within the next couple years. Sure we will have to travel for games this season but then most of those teams will travel back the following year. All fans will still be able to participate.

Comment

SDSU FAN:

It seems your posts have become somewhat demeaning to fellow posters.  Not everyone is in the situation you are in order to follow the jacks and it is one of the negative aspects of the move is that we will see our beloved teams a lot less if we can't travel extended trips. (i don't think its beer money that is holding most of us back more like family, career, other commitments).  From 91 rabbits perspective his age seems to suit the fact that he would maybe have family and definately not be retired so not be able to take as many trips as others.  Second, i don't necessarily think the decision to move up is a dead issue.  Agreed the decision is probably not going to change (which is good) but you can turn people off even more by saying "dead issue, move on" than listening to opinions.  

I am not trying to disrespect you in anyway becasue i respect all of the knowledge and most of the opinions you bring to the board.  And you have been around the board for a lot longer than almost anyone.

91 Rabbit, we welcome you to the board and there are a lot of people here with an extensive amount of both knowledge and opinions about SDSU (its why i keep reading). If you are looking for people to persuade your opinion, you may have came to the right place.
                          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

jackrabbit1979:

There was a time when I could not travel to see the Jacks either, but did each time I could. I dont know if you were on 1979 team but I travelled Whitewater Wis to see the 1979 team play. I lived in suburban Chicago at the time.

I made at least three trips to Western Illionis to watch when the Jacks played there. I drove from home in Dayton Ohio, to watch the Jacks in Youngstown.  That said, my point is if there is a will there is a way even if we have family committements etc.

Our California alums got to love the Great West Conference and you wait and see they wills show up at this falls games.  Win or lose, I know from my experiences as an out of state alum, they will enjoy the game and bumping into someone they had lost track of.

Also 2 or 3 years ago at Bellingham Wash, when we played there, we had 300 to 400 fans for the game. Many were young alums and some were parents. One Western Washington Fan who posted on www.D2football.com told me that this was the biggest out of town crowd for their home game. We had more he said than did Central Washington, which is the big rival for Western Washington University.

My retirement has nothing to do this discussion.  I am just tired of this negative crap that I have had listen to around the coffee tables in Brookings and at SDSU events for the past 3 to 4 years relating to the D1 issue.

It is a dead issue and 91rabbit was not heretical in raising the issue.  He has not added to the dialogue that I can see. He appranently has only listened to the negative side and accepted that as gospel.  The opponents dont have an alternative. As I said in the first post go to D2Football.com and see the concerns about future of the NCC. As far as saving the Confence, it may not happen.  If UNO joins the MIAA in order to fill their schedule, it could be a death blow. UND once weaned off the Englestad Money could make the the move to D1AA.   So did we make a mistake in leaving the NCC? I dont think so.

Going back to NCC 2000 is out of the question. Too many changes and there is no looking back, which makes only forward vision or perishing as our two options.

If these comments make me rude, then so be it.

Comment

i am glad that you have had the opportunity to follow the jacks as extensively as you have. However, 91 rabbit as a new poster was wanting information and actually said in his post that his opinion was open to persuasion so i don't think he was trying to cause a stir. However, from the backlashing he took i can see how his attitude about the move and the people that support it would not improve. ;D
                              "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Working...
                              X