Southern Utah picks up DI running back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southern Utah picks up DI running back

Thunderbirds pick-up a cast off from BYU.

Whalen transfers from BYU to Southern Utah

By Robert Weiler The Daily Universe
    PROVO, Utah (U-WIRE) -- Stuck at third on the depth chart, facing another possible honor code suspension and with one year left of athletic eligibility, Marcus Whalen transferred from BYU to Southern Utah University to complete his collegiate football career and finish his degree.

The former Cougar running back participated in spring football practices and was listed behind Curtis Brown and Fahu Tahi for the 2004 season, but will line up in the Thunderbirds' backfield next year.

In an article printed in the Deseret Morning News Monday, BYU officials suspended Whalen and wide receiver Breyon Jones last week for an honor code infraction. Whalen withdrew from classes at BYU for Spring 2004 and will be a student at SUU beginning in the summer.

BYU Assistant to the President Carri Jenkins said there is an honor code review currently ongoing that does involve members of the BYU football team, but could not confirm or deny any names.

Jenkins said Whalen is not currently enrolled in classes at BYU, but is still classified as having continual status.

Whalen was a big reason for the Cougars' success in 2002, with nearly 1,000 yards rushing. He was expected to be a large part of the BYU offense last year, but injured himself in warmups before the opening-season game against Georgia Tech, forcing him to miss three games. It also cut back his playing time upon his return as tailback Ray Braithwaite secured the top running back spot.

Much of Whalen's career at BYU has been plagued with events off the field. In addition to the injury in 2003 and the recent suspension, Whalen was arrested in February 2000 for investigation of shoplifting and illegal possession and consumption of alcohol. He dealt with charges again in May 2001 for underage drinking, although that case was dismissed. Whalen was suspended by head coach Gary Crowton for spring practice and then withdrew for the season in 2001, causing him to miss the entire season before being reinstated in January 2002.

Because Whalen is going to a Division I-AA school, he will not have to wait a year to compete with Southern Utah or sacrifice a year of eligibility that he doesn't have.

The Daily Herald reported Monday that Whalen and Jones are being investigated by Provo police in a criminal case for an alleged fight with a 34-year-old Provo man that occurred in April.

(C) 2004 The Daily Universe via U-WIRE.

We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: Southern Utah picks up DI running back

That makes the Thunderbirds a little more scary.

Comment

Unfortunately that article doesn't say a whole lot about Southern Utah. A bad kid as demonstrated by repeated behavior. Colleges need to have higher ethics or what are we teaching young people? Winning is the only thing? In my mind Southern Utah just dropped a notch.

Comment

Jack,

I think you may want to slow down a little. The kid has had some problems with the BYU honor code. While that may make him a "bad kid" in BYU's eyes, I think you might be rushing to judgement.

His only real trouble was an arrest for under age drinking. In the story, and that is all I have to go by, it never mentions any convictions. I am not going to condemn the kid or Southern Utah without more facts.

Comment

Dances, what I've learned in life is that there is a lot more below the scenes than above the scenes. I'll be willing to bet my next paycheck that a burp that eventually bubbles out is a result of a whole lot of boiling in the belly. Prized athletes are looked after, counseled and pampered. I'd be willing to bet that BYU put up with a lot before they finally sent him packing. Good luck to Southern Utah.

Comment

Maybe so, I am not one to go soft on trouble makers.  However, I was known to sneak a beer or two before I was of age. Of course I never got cought.

Comment

I don't think a beer or two was the problem.

Comment

Your probably right.

Comment

Jim McMahon challenged the "honor code" a few times too but he was too good to kicked off. The honor code only applies to "marginal" athletes. ;D

Comment

Here is part of a story from Southern Utah's neck of the woods:

http://www.thespectrum.com/news/stor...ts/404559.html

Coach Meier, Thunderbirds getting their Whalen in backfield

By D. Gary Webb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CEDAR CITY -- Most Southern Utah University football fans who attended any number of games last year agree that the Thunderbirds were about three key players short of reversing their 4-7 record.

A case in point would be the Northern Colorado game, which came down to one play with SUU just inches from a winning touchdown, but lacking in a bruising, quick runner that could have either broken through the line or danced his way around it.

Coach Wes Meier may have found that player.

For BYU fans, the name of Marcus Whalen evokes memories of a big, strong. fast running back who made big, tall waves as a freshman, then followed it up with a sophomore season of over 900 yards.

Whalen appeared to be the answer to the BYU running game for the next two years, but a foot injury and a pair of standards violations put him on the wrong side of Cougar coach Gary Crowton. Whalen went into spring practice as the top back but was held out of the final week of spring practice with instructions to focus on his school work.

A month later Whalen was given his football walking papers, and the once-upon-a-time star is now out at BYU.

Enter Southern Utah.

Kalane Sitake, who coaches the SUU running backs and tight ends, played in the same backfield with Whalen in his heyday, and the pair have stayed in contact. When Crowton gave Whalen the boot, Kalane was there to catch him.

That was the easy part.

As a rule, a player from a Division I school can transfer to a lower level school, such as SUU at Division I-AA, and become eligible immediately. If an athlete transfers from a DI to another DI, however, he or she must sit out a year. The reason for this is sound, as it stops players from school-jumping from year to year.

The NCAA also prohibits coaches from "hunting" (better known as recruiting) players who are already committed to another school. So coaches from smaller schools can't approach a player who isn't perhaps getting the playing time he wants and offer him great things to transfer to their DI-AA program. And the NCAA prohibits coaches from both schools from commenting in the press about situations such as this. So despite diligent efforts, Southern Utah University coach Meier couldn't comment one way or the other on the situation.

Southern Utah coaches, across the board, are much too honest with the rules to risk talking about a potential signee. . . .Once NCAA officials tell them Whalen is academically eligible and he deals with a few other issues any transfer student would wade through, they can comment.

This may make the Thunderbirds a little better, however I think this is a game the Jacks should win even on the road.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Looks like Southern Utah will not be getting Whalen after all. Ralph posted this on the SUU board:

..."It was reported that Whalen intended to finish his collegiate football career at Southern Utah University, a Division I-AA school.

However, due to NCAA rule 15.5.1.3, all transferring athletes are required to be in good standing with their former institution in order to play the following year. The success of Whalen's transfer hinged upon the outcome of the Honor Code review.

The suspension brings an end to Whalen's NCAA football career." ...

http://www.voy.com/153149/?session=P...xvdvX96bPUwLSM

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                        Looks like Southern Utah will not be getting Whalen after all.  Ralph posted this on the SUU board:

..."It was reported that Whalen intended to finish his collegiate football career at Southern Utah University, a Division I-AA school.

However, due to NCAA rule 15.5.1.3, all transferring athletes are required to be in good standing with their former institution in order to play the following year. The success of Whalen's transfer hinged upon the outcome of the Honor Code review.

The suspension brings an end to Whalen's NCAA football career." ...

http://www.voy.com/153149/?session=P...xvdvX96bPUwLSM
                        Not necessarily bad news for the Jackrabbits.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Here is the final story on Whalen.  Looks like Jack was right about this guy.  I am glad he won't be playing in the Great West. Not a class act. >

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,595067688,00.html

Y. tells Whalen game is over

Final suspension may doom 2 players' careers
                          By Tad Walch and Dick Harmon
                          Deseret Morning News

PROVO — The college football career of former Brigham Young University running back Marcus Whalen may have died Wednesday.

Jason Olson, Deseret Morning News

BYU officials met Wednesday with Whalen and wide receiver Breyon Jones to inform them of the university's final decision to suspend them until January 2005 for violations of the school's Honor Code. Both players also face criminal charges in Provo's 4th District Court stemming from allegations they beat up and robbed an acquaintance on April 14.
                               The players had previously learned of the suspension, but both had appealed the decision.
                               Whalen's college eligibility expires with the end of the 2004 football season. He wants to transfer to play in the upcoming season for Southern Utah University, where he has already enrolled. NCAA rules, however, prohibit a player under suspension at one member institution from transferring to play at another member school.  .  .  .

Comment

Working...
                          X