Western Kentucky could be leaving I-AA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Western Kentucky could be leaving I-AA

Story coming out of KY has implications for SDSU.  Western Kentucky may be leaving the Gateway for I-A Suv Belt (the rest of their sports are already in the Sun Belt).  The story also talks about Denver who has been rumored to be looking at the Mid-Con.

http://www.bgdailynews.com/articles/...uDbqyivlfT9cTI

I-A football could be coming
    Ransdell says new BCS revenue might make move possible

By OJ Stapleton, ojstapleton@bgdailynews.com -- 270-783-3239

Friday, June 18, 2004

In an interesting move, the Sun Belt Conference presidents selected Western Kentucky President Gary Ransdell to represent the league in talks concerning the distribution of possible football money.

The Bowl Championship Series, which previously included only the top six Division I-A leagues, recently adopted a new formula which would give the five lower-tier conferences a piece of the multimillion dollar pie.  .  .  .

On the surface, WKU has nothing to gain because it does not currently play Division I-A football.

“Why would they put me on that coalition when the only issue is football?,” Ransdell said. “I think that the (SBC) presidents feel that I have the most to gain by fighting for the best possible share of additional revenue, because the Sun Belt is pressing Western to join in all sports.”

That additional revenue, Ransdell said, could be enough to get Western Kentucky to make the jump to Division I-A.  .  .  .

Denver’s days in the league may be numbered.

“I don’t think it’s any secret that it may be hard for Denver to stay in a league that is predominantly in the Southeast,” Waters said. “We have always said that Denver will always have a home as long as they want it. I just don’t know how long they will be able to stay in though.”

There have been some rumors that Sac-State would leave the Big Sky for the Big West/Great West, Southern Utah would go to the Big Sky and the Mid-Con would pick up SDSU, NDSU, UNC and Denver.  Also this move by Western Kentucky might make the Missouri Valley/Gateway re-think their position (although I personally doubt it.)  Lots to speculate on.

Go State  

Working...
X