Successful football recruit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Successful football recruit

Eric Schroeder, 6-4, 240, DL, Stewartville, MN is throwing shot put at an indoor meet today in Rochester. He threw 57'10" in Lacrosse on Saturday which is 2 1/2 ft further than the winning throw at the state meet last year. He is the #1 ranked thrower in class A in the state.

The Rochester area produces a fair number of good athletes and there is a reasonable "pipeline" to SDSU. I think Eric is a kid who succeeds at whatever he puts his mind to. I am glad we have added he and his family to the SDSU team/family. Good luck Eric.

We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: Successful football recruit

I hope and pray that Eric doesn't fall to the same curse that another former shotputter/football player from the Rochester area did. About 8 years ago SDSU signed a running back out of Hayfield (closer to Austin than Rochester, but still southeastern MN), I think his name was Senjum or something like that. Anyway, he set state records all spring of his senior year in the shot put, throwing over 65' at times. Anyway, he got to campus, was very impressive, forgot about the "educational" part of his experience, and failed out after one year. Not saying by any means that this will happen to Eric. Reading about him just reminded me of another former shotputter from the Rochester area who came in with tons of potential and let himself and the staff down mightily.

Comment

What I recall about Senjum, no doubt a real stud of an athlete, was that he was recruited about the same time as Ranek was for running back.  Daly had used a one set back and done a great deal of passing. If I recall right, Stig came with the notion of a two back set offense which is still used pretty much, but one of the backs usually labeled full back does a lot of blocking and running interference on the drawplays and play action passes.

Stig thought that Senjum was his guy for this type of offense only problem was that this is what Senjum did not have in mind. As I recall he left fall camp after about one week as he did not want the role of a blocking fullback. The was kind of what Stig said on and off the record.

There may have been other issues too as suggested by hoopla4u which has happen more times that we like to see happen.

Comment

Originally posted by hoopla4u
        I hope and pray that Eric doesn't fall to the same curse that another former shotputter/football player from the Rochester area did. About 8 years ago SDSU signed a running back out of Hayfield (closer to Austin than Rochester, but still southeastern MN), I think his name was Senjum or something like that. Anyway, he set state records all spring of his senior year in the shot put, throwing over 65' at times. Anyway, he got to campus, was very impressive, forgot about the "educational" part of his experience, and failed out after one year. Not saying by any means that this will happen to Eric. Reading about him just reminded me of another former shotputter from the Rochester area who came in with tons of potential and let himself and the staff down mightily.
        I don't think this will be a concern. For each unfortunate case there are a number of "success" stories. In my brief correspondance with Eric's family it is clear that he has had the proper guidance thus far in life and that will allow him to make the right decisions. We certainly can't "type" the athletes from SE Minnesota based on the Senjum example alone. Again, I welcome Eric and the Schroeder family and wish them the best of luck (I don't think they need it, though).
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Sorry if anyone thought I was trying to "type" athletes from SE Minnesota. I was more or less bringing up the memory of another great shot putter who fell by the way side. State has had many good student-athletes from SE Minnesota (Angie Swenson & Steve Heiden come to mind pretty easily). I wish Eric all the success in the world. Hopefully he'll find time to add to the success of the track team during his time at SDSU as well.

Comment

Jacks recruit Jaron Harris of Sioux Falls Washington ran a blazing 10.41 in the 100 meters to win a track meet in Pierre. Look forward to watching this kid and his speed in the years to come.

Comment

Just to put in perspective how fast 10.41 is. I looked at the Track&Field results in the Dallas paper this morning. Here are some comparisons of times at some major events this weekend, and a comparison to Texas' biggest high school division ( these are factories for world class athletes)
              Fastest 100 meters in 5A (Texas) high schools last week 10.49
              Drake Relays College - 10.29
              Tulsa Golden Hurricane Invitational- College10.46
              Penn Relays-College 10.43

And some of you may have heard of a sprinter named John Drummond (USA) I think he is a gold medalist in the last olympics-he ran 10.37 in an olympic qualifying event yesterday at the Penn Relays.

Jaron will be a welcome addition to the SDSU football team to say the least!!!

Comment

I have had the chance to talk with Jaron and his parents a few times and he seems like a real mature classy kid as well. Not only unbeleivable speed and potential but a great recruit for the university as a whole.
                "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

I got a chance to see Jaron run at the State Track Meet in Sioux Falls. He won the preliminaries but struggled out of the blocks in the finals and finished 3rd. He anchored the winning 400 meter relay for Sioux Falls Washington.

Comment

Keep in mind JaRon had a hamstring problem mid-way through the season and missed some races. The fact that he came back from that injury to run in the high school state meet was impressive.

He'll be a great one at SDSU. He has tremendous acceleration...he'll develop into a big-time running back.
                    And, by all accounts, he's a nice kid who is anxious to play college ball for SDSU.

JaRon's dad, Ron Harris, set many of the rushing records at Colorado State in the mid 1970s. I heard JaRon didn't go out for football until his Junior Year and he was impressive from the start. A lot of schools wanted him and we got him!

Comment

I believe that JaRon is, and will be a WR.

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/Va...cfm?ID=46,3405

* JaRon Harris, 6-1, 190, WR, Sioux Falls, S.D. (Washington H.S.)

Go State! ;D

Comment

Incoming freshman Kevin Robling and Eric Schroeder are roommates and are both starting for the Outstate team in the annual Minnesota State All-Star game this Saturday to be held at Macalester College in St Paul. Both are excited about there future as Jackrabbits....

Go Jacks.........
                        http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

If you get a chance pick up the Msp Star Tribune as Jack recruit Mitch Pontrelli is featured as the Mens Scholar Athlete of the year. Some great plugs for State in the article. There is a picture of him with an SDSU hat on. Asked about a lifelong city kid moving to Brookings a city of fewer than 17,000 he replied "It will be something of a transition, but it's a nice, cozy campus," he said "I'm looking forward to it". 3.92 Grade Point average and both a academic and athletic sholarship to State. Second in the State 4A Heavyweight wrestling. We are getting a real stud in this guy!

Comment

In the Minnesota All-Star game Jacks recruits showed there abilities. DL Kevin Robling had 1 solo tackle and 2 assist, DL Eric Schroeder had 4 solo tackles, 2 assist and 1 sack for the Outstate team. Matt Cadwell, a BB recruit for the Jacks had a TD pass for for the Metro team. All 3 looked good and seem to be the right kind of kids we want in our program.

Go Jacks !!!!
                            http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

Working...
                            X