Running back arrest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running back arrest

Runningback Anthony Robinson was arrested Friday in Brookings and charged with possession of 14 pounds of marijuana.
    The charges carry a maximum fine of 35 thousand dollars, and up to 35 years in prison.
    He is being held on a $10 thousand dollar bond in the Brookings County Jail.

Re: Running back arrest

I found this on the Aberdeen American News website. Its unfortunate and it would appear that Mr. Robinson needs very good legal representation.

Tuesday, Jun 29, 2004

SDSU football player charged with pot distribution

Associated Press

BROOKINGS, S.D. - A scholarship football player at South Dakota State University is accused of getting caught with 14 pounds of pot.

Anthony Robinson, 23, of Fontana, Calif., is charged with distribution of more than 1 pound of marijuana, possession with intent to distribute more than a pound, and a less serious distribution charge.

The three counts combined carry a maximum penalty of 35 years in prison and $35,000 in fines.

Robinson was arrested Friday and is being held on a $10,000 cash bond.

Robinson, a junior, is a backup running back at SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by newser
      Runningback Anthony Robinson was arrested Friday in Brookings and charged with possession of 14 pounds of marijuana.
      The charges carry a maximum fine of 35 thousand dollars, and up to 35 years in prison.
      He is being held on a $10 thousand dollar bond in the Brookings County Jail.
      Trouble with the law is not a recent trend for Anthony. I suspect our coaches knew this when recruiting him. There are a lot of tempations out there (money, drugs, etc..) and college kids are at the right age to make a big mistake. This isn't the first kid to get in trouble and won't be the last. His days at SDSU are over.

LOS ANGELES POLICE DEPARTMENT
      PRESS RELEASE
      Monday, December 13, 1999

West Valley Detectives arrested four juveniles and one adult in connection with the post game fight that occurred on November 19, 1999, at Pierce College following a football game between Loyola High School and Fontana High School. The fight erupted when a Fontana player assaulted a Loyola coach, striking the coach with his fists. Other Fontana players then attacked other Loyola coaches. The incident, which was video taped, lead to a near riot which was squelched by the actions of the Pierce College police.

On December 8, 1999 four Fontana players were arrested for misdemeanor battery. One 16-year-old subject and two 17-year-old subjects were booked and released to their patents. A second 16-year-old subject was booked and detained at Sylmar Juvenile Hall as his parents were unavailable to take custody of him. The identity of the juveniles is not being released due to their ages.

One adult suspect, 18 year old, Anthony Robinson, was charged by the City Attorney's Office with two counts of misdemeanor battery.

No additional arrests are anticipated.

For Release 9:00 am PST
      December 13, 1999
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I know Anthony personally and think he is a very nice guy. I was unaware of this situation in high school (fight) and his apparent addiction of drugs. I am sad to hear this news. I hope he makes some better decisions in the future. It is too bad because he does take school seriously. I think a college degree would really benefit him. I do wish him the best!!

Comment

I don't know Anthony personally and I don't think any conclusions can be made based on the incident in high school. The only person who should take any blame here is Anthony himself. Obviously, he intended to do more with the 14 lbs of pot than just smoke it himself. I hope nobody else on the team is tangled up in this.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

I noticed that Anthony Robinson appeared in 8 games last year and rushed for 260 yards in a back-up role. We will need to have a young, promising RB step up to take his place in that role. As far as Anthony is concerned-if these charges are true, he is in a whole heap o' trouble.

Comment

If found guilty and kicked off the team and possibly out of SDSU what happens to his scholarship?? Is it lost or can we fill it?? Probably too late for this year but every last scholarship counts.

Comment

If found guilty he will be in Sioux Falls for a long time. Sad story if true of someone not using their head. Will give guys behind Anthony Watson like Brad Janecke,Demetrice Wiggins,Trevor Hahn and Cory Koenig an opportunity. Anthony Robinson is an elusive shifty runner who complimented Watson's bruising style. Wiggins from Miami is similiarly built and may be the guy to spell Watson. I hear the kid from Mitchell Trevor Hahn has some wheels.

Comment

i would hope that refilling that scholarship is the least of the worries of the football program. I would hope they are trying to figure out how this happened under their noses and how to go about helping Anthony if possible and restoring the dent in reputation the team and university lost with the news. I didn't know Anthony personally like jacks02 but everything i saw of him in brookings he seemed to be a nice, friendly young man.
                  "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

No speculation necessary, things will shake out in the end.  No one should try to blame SDSU, the coaches or his teammates for any of this.  Anthony had 14 lbs of pot and I just hope none of the other athletes had an order in.

I had heard a rumor regarding an athlete suspected of possesion and intent to distribute, I assume this is it.  I await the details, but not anxiously.  This sould reflect on Anthony as an individual and not on SDSU as an institution.

Comment

KWSN opened their show with their usuall headlines and they mentioned Robinson and said that Robinson was in court today and that they might have an update before the show concludes at 5pm. They also said that Coach Stig was on their show last week and they added that SDSU did not need this kind of news coming out of Brookings.

As much as regret this arrest has happen to one of our players, I can not help agree that this is the kind of news SDSU doesnt need.

Comment

Those of you who have not made it to the Sioux Falls Argus web page today, here is their article on Anthony Robinson. Its hard not to draw judgements based on this article. I regret that this incident gives the Anti D1AA advocates ammuntition about recruiting urban athletes over some hot shot from Bancroft South Dakota. I feel bad for remainder of the roster who are living a clean lifestyle.

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/We...article2.shtml

Comment

He was recruited while we were at the DII level. Had we never made the move up he would still be here and he would still be a drug dealer. Athletes, students, people in general make mistakes. There are drug dealers living in S.D. just as there are in California.

This becomes a problem for SDSU because of the narrow-minds of many South Dakotans. We can and will survive this minor bump in the road. The problem here is Anthony Robinson. Keep the focus on prosecuting him and don't persecute those who gave him a shot. He threw an oppurtunity away. I am glad things came to the forefront before the start of the season.

Lets sit on our laurels. Then, if and when he is found guilty disassociate ourselves from a criminal and make it known that we won't tolerate this behavior at SDSU regardless of how talented an athlete an individual may be. Coaches and recruiters need to be dillegent about potential recruits and their criminal past. Its easy to find these things out in todays world. Lessons need to be learned. Regrets are detrimental unless they motivate change.

Comment

JackMD is correct: Robinson has a personal problem and this is not a reflection on the school, the program, the coaches or teammates.

Every school at every level has its share of problems. Big deal. Such problems existed when we were in school, too. Sometimes people got caught, sometimes they didn't.

I remember back in the early 70s when a particularly tough guy was on campus and everybody said he was a junior college transfer from Folsum State in California. Within a few weeks, he was gone!...something about punching out a professor's lights and other things. Turns out Folsum State Correctional Facility was the "junior college."

Some programs have more than their share of criminal problems with athletes. When trends appear, then you look at the program and the coaches. SDSU's program is the opposite of that: there may be an occasional isolated incident and that shows the program and the coaches are running a clean ship.

An insolated incident arising from drinking now and then doesn't both me at all. Remember there was a time when 18 year olds could legally drink and have beer in their dorm rooms! The original Hort's (now a bank's parking lot) was the best place in the world on a Friday night (and most Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays too). We just didn't get caught.

Some of the posters know Robinson and speak highly of him. In that case, I hope the system figures out a way to make its point but also give some direction so that he becomes a productive adult. I'm tired of paying to build jail cells when places like SDSU could always use more funding for more productive ventures.

Comment

I have to agree with both Jackmd and JackJD and your comments. We hope this is a blimp on the screen and gone before we know it.

If I may play CNN Legal analyst for a bit, it sure makes me wonder where Anthony got that big of an inventory of 14 to 15 lbs.
                              If Robinson were to cooperate and reveal his source of his inventory purchases, you would think he would have lighter load in court. I suspect the hazzard in revealing your sources is that your life literally is put on the line, and there will be others out there that will snuff a squealer.

If Anthony were my son, or brother, I would be heart broken. I think there probably is a Robinson family in Fontana, that is shocked, disappointed and filled with fear and anxiety with no clue as what to do next if anything.

This is one for Mark Gerrogas or Johnnie Cochran.

Comment

Working...
                              X