Inaugural Border Marker Attendance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inaugural Border Marker Attendance

Any guesses? What have been SDSU's highest gates in the last few years? With only 4 home games- I would think attendance would be good. Would 12k be unreasonable?

Re: Inaugural Border Marker Attendance

somebison:

Hey this a great topic to take our minds off bigjake and Mav no 1. I think based on last year's attendence, 12,000 would be an excellent crowd. It would require a huge following of green and gold to drive down to Brookings.

Our game with NWMSU drew 8679, and we had a good turn out from Maryville. I think it will still be early enough in the fall where the tailgating that has started in recent years, may be able to draw more folks. My guess would be somewhere between 8 and 10 thousand. SDSU will need to promote and promote to get this up there.

This years game in addition to the Dakota Marker theme will also be the Beef Bowl, which give an opportunity for all the beef organizations in South Dakota to come to campus a day or two before the game and they hold seminars and things besides. The Tailgating event is a big part of it too with entertainment, a beef sandwich and few other eats for about 7 bucks. This is an opportunity for lots of people in the beef industry to volunteer time with the sandwich feed. Also live on the hoof beef are auction off at half time.

Until we can have two consecutive seasons of 8 wins or more, I dont see the popularity of football increasing a great deal over past years.

Some think that SDSU may get pounded at D1AA and less will show up for games. On the other hand, the four game home schedule is unique and attendence could increase.

Last years Beef Bowl game which will be an additional promotion to the Dakota Marker game, drew 7373. I dont think we had as many UND fans as we have had for NDSU. Seventy five miles may make a differnce, I dont know.

Comment

I think 12K might be high, but I think 10,000 is possible. I hope I am surprised and we hit 12,000. We need to build our program so that crowds of 16,000 are the norm. We need Coughlin-Alumni to become the "place to be" on Saturdays in the fall. It will take time and effort but it could and should be done.

Go State! ;D

Comment

let's hope for 12k

SDSU had two games with attendance of 8400+ last year (NWMS and Hobo Days)-. Unfortunately they also had two games with attendance less than 2500 The jacks drew about 7500 for the beef bowl last year playing the other team from ND. For me anything under 10k would be disappointing. Does anybody (by anybody I mean SDSUFAN ) know the last time SDSU drew over 10k

Comment

We could get 12,000. We just need to do a better job of promoting the football programs. TV ads, billboards, radio spots, etc. It is a new day for SDSU football we should be hyping it more.

Comment

Some Bison

The last time the Jacks had over 10,000 in attendance was 10-5-2002 versus the University of North Dakota. Game attendance posted in the SDSU football statistics was 11,685.
            We...ARE...STATE!
            SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

That was the Hobo Day game that year.

Comment

I was going to do some research on that question, but am glad someone beat me too it.  The over 10,000 crowds have been  more of an exception rather than the rule.  We need to change than that. I would trust there will be more ways to promote that we will see that we have not in the past.  I think we started the Game Day concept when Mike Daly became coach with a big banner on the front of Frost, but we need to have countless banners reminding people that it is a game day. We need to make it more of a fun day for the family.
                The only thing that works against us is the fall weather but we can always add heated tents for tailgaiting and use Frost for indoor things. The important thing is that we need to do a better job of promoting.

Comment

Working...
                X