Not a lot of love for the Rabbits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not a lot of love for the Rabbits

Chris Kelly dosen't have a ton of love for the Rabbits in his just released Preview of the Great West Football Conference.  I guess we are going to have to prove him wrong. >

http://greatwestfootball.collegespor...071404aaa.html

Go State!  

Re: Not a lot of love for the Rabbits

I think his ranking is justified, but I suspect we will suprise.  He ranks several of our offensive players highly.  Cut down on the fumbles and we have as good an O as anyone in the GWC.  Our defense should be suspect.  Lots of losses to graduation and not a great defensive year last season.  Lets suprise some people and finish in the top 3. We will know a lot more after the games with Davis and Poly. I would like to see 2 wins in Caly.  Regardless, I like our non-conference schedule, no backing down.  G. Southern, Southern, Mont. St, all on the road.  Go Jackrabbits!!!
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I think Mr. Kelly gave us a pretty good analysis. SDSU does have skilled people at some positions.  The problem is we are not skilled at every spot offensively and defensively.  The other point to be made is that when you make a ranking and analysis, you only have last year and past trends to work with. I though Chis gave as as much credit as he could give in that area.

I for one am just not overly optimistic about this coming season.  We got a tough schedule and the fact we have 4 conference games on the road, makes it very hard to give us much recognition.  The writers over on D2 football seemed to recognize that we play very good against the best at Coughlin but have not many road victories to show for.  I dont expect 2004 to be much different, but we can always surprise people.  Maybe a few surprises is thee best we can expect his year.  How the new members of the coaching staff fit in and what they bring to the program is still unknown and we will not know until we get into the 2004 season.

I am very concerned about the direction of the football program.  We just have not been very demanding in high expectations. Too often we have been satisified with a 7-4 season. Maybe a 2-9 season will change that thinking as that could be our ending result.

Comment

Hey guys-
        I really see quite a bit of talent for the Jacks but the step up in schedule, the road games, and the holes on defense made it tough to rank you guys any higher. As I said though, there is alot of depth in talent in the skill areas, and if your offensive line can stand tall this season- SDSU can ride the offense to some victories behind Nelson. I'm very interested to see if he will be procteced as well this season, and how he holds up. His numbers were awesome last season. He puts up similar numbers and he should be getting some post season "love" with the much tougher schedule.

I'll be cheering as loud as anyone when SDSU plays their OOC games. I really want the GWFC to make an impression. The doubters are out there, and they are many.

Comment

Chris,

Welcome to the board!  Glad to have you here.  Let me state publicly, what I sent you privately on the UC-Davis board, Great Job on the preview.  I can see how you could pick the Jacks to finish last.  Don't like it, but I can see your reasoning in this very tough league.  That being said it does sting a little to be picked #6.  Hopefully the Jacks can "surprise" some people this year.  The good news is that the games are played on the field.  I too will be pulling for all the GWFC teams when they play OOC games.

Sept. 4th SDSU vs UC-Davis, let the games begin!  Here is to our first surprise.  Remember that we have never lost in Davis!  

Go State!  ;D

Comment

I attended the last SDSU game in Davis, when the Ags lost 17-7. The Davis QB, Kevin Daft, was injured in the 3rd quarter, and left the game. The offense struggled to put points up that night whether under Daft, or his backup, Nick Pavlovich. SDSU played a stong game, even though outgained by more than 100 yards. A couple big picks by SDSU defender were huge that night. I remember that game well. I expect a fun game come the 4th. SDSU will get a new Davis QB in his first game as a starter. That's an advantage right there.

Comment

Welcome Chris, any and all comments are appreciated.

I think the Jacks have a great chance to win at Davis. The game will likely come down to turnovers and special teams. I don't know a lot about the Ag's defense but I like our Offense. New QB's make mistakes and I think we can take advantage. Go Jackrabbits!!
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Hey all-
                Good to see active message boards talking football.

Yes, that's true new QB do make mistakes, although each new QB that has started for Davis over the past few years has done so pretty successfully. The tough part about being a Davis QB is the time it take to learn that offense. That's why you hardly ever see transfers at QB, or guys younger than Redshirt So. That said, you can't simulate live action so whomever the QB is (I'm guessing Grant) must be ready to go.

The Aggies defense has a ton of potential. They're corners could be as good as anyone, when healthy, as well as one of their D-lineman Fatukala. How these three return post injury is the focus. Davis always schemes very well, and two seasons ago with a relatively new defense, in Grand Valley, played a great game holding GVSU to their lowest total yards of the year. I'm

It will be a fun game. I'm very interested to see the Aggie defense tested early, as well as how the Jacks D looks against an inexperienced QB. This game will tell us alot about these teams.

Comment

Chis:
                  Good to have you stop by this board. We have two big holes in the O Line with Ben Studer and Wagstrom gone, but maybe the back-ups will pick up quickly. You have raised a good question about Nelson and his numbers standing up in D1AA. I looked a little at Georgia Southern' numbers and they seem to have the right porportion of O yards and D yards, about 350 to 200, which should win football games. We got a few GSU fans on this board, so they expect a big blow out.

Eric Eidness the offensive co-ordinator last year is now head coach at SW-Minnesota State and what our new guy will do is a mystery at this point. I doubt he can change too much right off the bat but who knows.

It would be great to have a winning season, but I dont its going to happen. I would love to be very much surprised with some big wins on the road

Comment

I'm afraid I have to agree with the assessment of the Jacks this year. While the "skill" positions would seem to be solid this year, without a proven line to use as a foundation, you have to question how the offense will perform this year against stiffer competition. The D lost 7 starters and that makes any team look questionable. The bright side of this is that we have taken on a tough conference, and OOC games, so we can let everyone know that if they come to SDSU they can prove themselves against the best. This year and next are about setting the stages for recruiting in the decades to come.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

One guy everybody is high on is linebacker Marty Kranz. But, let me tell you, Marty is going to surprise even his biggest supporters with his intensity. As good as he was last year, he will be a LOT BETTER this year. SDSU's linebackers will be the best set in the conference and with two like that, people will quit talking about the lack of experience on defense.

Comment

Although I think the linebackers will be better than most think this year, (Couaette is the real deal), to say they will be the best in the conference may be a stretch. I think Southern Utah has a returning all american and a transfer from CU that will be moving to linebacker for them this year. Was it Cal-Poly that has a returning all american as well, there are some very good linebacking corps in the Great West.
                        "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

SDSU has a good group, and I'm big on Couaette from everything I've read, and people I've talked with. However, SUU might have the best threesome in the nation. DiPadova is a 2nd team All-American, and Harris was an All Conference DE in the Big 12 for Colorado. These guys can flat out play. The third LB Overly is no slouch himself. He had 93 tackles, but will be overshawdowed by the other two.

Comment

Working...
                          X