September 25 at Montana State
October 2 at St. Mary's (CA)
October 30 at Georgia Southern
November 6 AUGUSTANA

September 17 at Northern Iowa
October 8 CAL DAVIS
October 22 ST. MARY'S (CA)
October 29 GEORGIA SOUTHERN

As expected, scheduling is a little difficult.

Texas_Jacks_Fan
02-04-2004, 07:40 AM
NDSU has got to be on both the 04 and 05 schedule-maybe they are just waiting to add that one until the others are set to make it fit in according to the remaining schedule. I thought someone at bisonville posted that it would be in Brookings in 04. I would love to see Cal-Poly in 04-I've been wanting that road trip ever since we announced our D-1 move!

02-04-2004, 08:07 AM
A friend gave me the full Augustana schedule...Looks a little better than ours, but the non-conference is still rusty.

Aug 28 Concordia St. Paul *
Sept 4 Northern State *
Sept 11 Southwest Minnesota State
Sept 18 U of Minn-Crookston
Sept 25 UND *
Oct 2 USD
Oct. 9 St. Cloud State *
Oct. 16 UNO *
Oct. 23 Uof Minn-Duluth
Oct. 30 Minn. State- Mankato
Nov. 6 SDSU

* Home Games

JACKGUY
02-04-2004, 08:16 AM
Great to see Northern Iowa on the schedule in 2005. Should be a fun roadtrip. The 2005 home schedule should be very solid. NDSU will be a home game in 2004 and may be the Hobo Day game!

Texas_Jacks_Fan
02-04-2004, 09:34 AM
I was told that Montana St was a home/home but I don't see them on the 05 schedule yet. Any reason for this??

On another note... The Augie schedule doesnt look too bad. I wonder if we will play SW Minn St in 05 due to the last D1AA transitional year. With the coachiing job going to Eidsness I am wondering if we may schedule them if there is an opportunity and we have a hole to fill.

jackmd
02-04-2004, 09:39 AM
The Augie schedule looks great compared to USD. Concordia has an excellent team. Crookston is the only really weak game. With Northern being considered for the NCC thats a logical game. Eidsness at SW should make for an intriguing match-up. I like Augies schedule a hell of a lot more than USD's.

Buster
02-04-2004, 11:19 AM
Anyone know when Hobo Days is next year? I hope it isn't in the bowels of winter like this year. It was disgustingly cold this year, and I hope not to have to stuff my body with hot liquor to avoid the waxy white extremities.

Alumguy
02-04-2004, 11:41 AM
As I understand it, a Hobo Day date has not been selected. Judging by the partial schedule, I don't think any of those dates for home games look very appealing. So, I think we will have to wait and see if the Athletic Department is able to schedule an October home game.

89rabbit
02-04-2004, 10:06 PM
From the Argus:

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Thursdayarticle2.shtml

Much travel awaits SDSU's football team
Chris Solari
csolari@argusleader.com

published: 2/5/2004

Jackrabbits scheduled to make three trips to California next fall

BROOKINGS - South Dakota State University released nine games on its travel-filled 2004 football schedule Wednesday.

The announcement came on the NCAA's national signing day, the first day recruits cuold officially join SDSU's program in its trek to Division I-AA.

The Jackrabbits will venture to Georgia, Montana and Colorado, along with making three trips to California next season, their first at the I-AA level.

SDSU will also play five home games at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium, for a total of 11 games. A home contest against North Dakota State still sits as tentative as a date is worked out. Hobo Day will be on Oct. 23, but the opponent is yet to be determined.

"It really fell into shape," SDSU football coach John Stiegelmeier said. "I think one of the things that helped out was the push to try to get this conference accelerated. People, I think, adjusted some of their schedules (to fit in SDSU)."

Games with five of the six other schools that are in the final stages of forming a I-AA football league with SDSU are also on tap. Along with NDSU, those schools are California-Davis, St. Mary's (Calif.), Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo and Northern Colorado. Only Southern Utah is not on the schedule.

But perhaps the most pleasing news to football purists in the state is the Jackrabbits have cemented a game with Augustana for Nov. 6 in Brookings.

"I'm happy that it worked out," said Vikings coach Jim Heinitz, himself an SDSU alum. "Every team in the NCC has a bye, and we wanted to play someone of quality. SDSU was open and we were open, so it was good for everyone. I believe it's a good idea to maintain that rivalry."

In all, SDSU's I-AA travel will entail nearly 6,500 miles between Brookings and the other universities. Last season, the Jackrabbit football squad logged just over 2,000 miles to five road games. That included trips to Western Oregon and Winona State.

The 2004 schedule has only three Division II opponents -ĘAugustana, Winona State and Western Oregon. The University of South Dakota, the Jackrabbits' chief rival in Division II, has been scheduled, and the Coyotes do not have any open dates that coincide with those on SDSU's list.

The Jacks' most interesting game is at Georgia Southern on Oct. 30 in Statesboro, Ga. The Eagles, who play at Division I-A Georgia to open the season, finished 7-4 in 2003 but are typically a perennial I-AA power.

SDSU decided to leave Oct. 16 open. That is the first day of pheasant season in South Dakota, typically one of the least-attended games when one is scheduled that day at Coughlin-Alumni.

SDSU cannot earn a spot in the 16-team I-AA playoffs until 2008.

In releasing this fall's slate, SDSU also teased its 2005 schedule by revealing four already-set games against I-AA opponents:

• At Northern Iowa on Sept. 17, 2005;

• Home against Cal-Davis on Oct. 8, 2005;

• Home against St. Mary's on Oct. 22, 2005;

• And home against Georgia Southern on Oct. 29, 2005.

Stiegelmeier also said a tentative agreement has been hashed out for 2005 with Valparaiso in Indiana.

"You're always working ahead," he said. "I'm going to be calling some I-A schools, the lower echelon. As we work to get this conference going, I've got to check out anybody."

I think Valpo in 2005 is great. It does lead me to speculate that we will be in the Mid-Con for all sports except football where we will be in the GWC which will be managed by the Mid-Con. I also like the fact that Stig is calling "I-A schools, the lower echelon" I would love to play one of them.

Go State!

Texas_Jacks_Fan
02-05-2004, 06:59 AM
I think thats great. Even though we will be making a lot of road trips next year It also means that most of those schools will be visiting Brookings the year after. Everyone knew going in, the first couple of years would be a little unorthodox, I think this is an incredible schedule our first year-better than I had ever hoped for Way to go SDSU !!!!

Texas_Jacks_Fan
02-05-2004, 07:07 AM
2004 opponents (no dates)

Western Oregon-H
Winona St.-H
Cal Davis-A
NDSU-H
St. Marys-A
Montana St.-A
Cal Poly-A
Augustana-H
Georgia Southern-A
Northern Colorado-A

JACKGUY
02-05-2004, 07:53 AM
The only missing game is Hobo Day against a TBD opponent. Jacks did well with the schedule under the circumstances. 2005 will be outstanding!

jackmd
02-05-2004, 08:02 AM
What does Solari mean by "the most pleasing news for football purists in the state is the Jackrabbits have cemented a game with Augustana". What an idiot!! He should be more excited about the prospect of teams like Georgia Southern, Montana, Montana St, Valpo, Northern Iowa, etc...playing in Brookings, SD. A true football purist wants to see the best possible talent on a week in and week out basis. This sure as hell isn't Augustana, USD, etc.. Get a clue Solari. Nice headline by the way, what a Jackass.

Texas_Jacks_Fan
02-17-2004, 05:59 PM
I was just sitting here thinking about our confirmed 1AA opponets next year. Dont get me wrong here- I love our schedule, but nobody can accuse us of scheduling patsys.
Ga. Southern-Quite likely the most storied program in 1AA the past 10 years.
Montana St.- Top 25 last year playoffs last 2 years beat the mighty Griz two years running.
Cal Poly-Beat 1A UTEP last year were in the top 25 for awhile.
NDSU-We know this team all too well , they will be loaded again next year.
Cal-Davis-They will almost definetly finish in the top 25 next year.
N. Colorado- Top 20 this year in the final poll in their first year in 1AA.
This schedule is going to test us right away, Coach Stig has to have those guys ready to play this fall. I CANT WAIT.

SDSU_TUBA
02-17-2004, 08:02 PM
This is what the Collegian has

9/4 at UCD
9/11 vs Winona State
9/18 vs Western Oregon
9/25 at Montana State
10/2 at St. Mary's
10/9 vs NDSU
10/16 Open
10/23 TBD (Hobo Day)
10/30 at Georgia Southern
11/6 vs Augustana
11/13 at Cal Poly-SLO
11/20 at Nothern Colorado

I'm assuming the NDSU game is 10/9 (The Collegian has it as TBD), I remember seeing on the bisonville board that they play Cal Poly-SLO on 10/23 so that only leaves 10/9 left to play NDSU.

jackmd
02-17-2004, 08:09 PM
3 trips to California. Anyone know if these are garunteed home and home series? If so 2005 looks fantastic with Davis, Montana St., Georgia Southern, UNC and St. Marys (as well as others) all playing in Brookings. I hope we can upgrade Coughlin a bit before 2005. In retrospect, the away schedule may be a good thing (necessary I know) for several reasons.

The 10/16 date remain open for opening pheasant, correct? I thought I read that in an earlier post. I'll mark my calender and plan ahead. Any clues with regard to game times?

SDSU_TUBA
02-17-2004, 08:13 PM
From the Argus:

SDSU decided to leave Oct. 16 open. That is the first day of pheasant season in South Dakota, typically one of the least-attended games when one is scheduled that day at Coughlin-Alumni.

Texas_Jacks_Fan
02-17-2004, 08:29 PM
I wonder who SDSU is going to get for our Hobo Day Game. Hopefully we can get a 1AA opponent. Its still pretty late in the year 10/23. I was hoping it would be earlier so its not as frosty at Coughlin Alumni. I hope we don't have to resort to another NCC or NSIC school for that date.

luvthosejacks
02-17-2004, 10:56 PM
I agree that Hobo Day should be against a team that has the D-IAA feel to it. It would be silly to pass up that opportunity, with so many people on campus for the day.

JACKGUY
02-18-2004, 10:09 AM
I don't know about the rest of you but I'm elated over the 2004 Football Schedule. We all knew 04 would be a
struggle in terms of home games but I like the fact that we went out and accepted some tough games with the opportunity to have those teams come to Brookings in 05. I agree the Hobo Day Game has to something special with a taste of whats to come. I hope they can bring in a DIAA team that people would recognize. The 2005 schedule will be fantastic. The away game at Northern Iowa will be a great road trip. I forsee Northern Iowa will become a regional rival in most sports! Can't wait to see how the Basketball schedule is shaping up as I think it will be even more difficult to schedule without a conference.

footballfan
02-18-2004, 10:20 AM
All I can say is that I am excited and so ready to get going on the football season...... I believe we will suprise alot of people

JACKGUY
02-24-2004, 02:28 PM
Could the 10/23 Hobo Day game be against Southern Utah which would round out our first year in the Great Western Conference?

JACKGUY
02-24-2004, 02:35 PM
Our 2005 Home schedule will be a thing of beauty! At a minimum it will be Cal Davis, St Mary's, Georgia Southern, San louis obispo, UNC. I would love to see Augie in Sioux Falls or USD in Brookings or Sioux Falls to round out the home or neutral schedule.

bunny
02-24-2004, 03:04 PM
89rabbit,

Where do you get all of your info? You have the lengthiest posts but they are quite informative!
:o

89rabbit
02-24-2004, 04:07 PM
89rabbit,

Where do you get all of your info? You have the lengthiest posts but they are quite informative!

From all over. I majored in Poli Sci and History, does it show? ;)

Go State!

jackmd
02-24-2004, 05:30 PM
89rabbit,

I think bunny might be "yanking your chain" here 89.

SDSUFAN
02-24-2004, 06:28 PM
I am a little suspicous of the handle "Bunnies" since most of the Yote fans like to make that reference about SDSU mascot the Jackrabbit. I guess a guy can pick any handle he wants, but lets see what he has to say.

I am not going to start another war, my experience with Buster has been more than I need. ;D ;D

89rabbit
02-24-2004, 06:33 PM
SDSUFAN,

Bunny is a woman.

SDSUFAN
02-24-2004, 06:52 PM
Bunny:

My sincere apologies I did not see the gender symbol.
Boy we tend to think this message board is some kind smoke filled room full of guys. I am so sorry. Welcome aboard and enjoy. We do need the ladies to keep us in line. Again my apologies, but we do get the USD and Augie fans that like to call us bunnies.

SDSU_TUBA
02-25-2004, 02:06 PM
Going back to the schedule, this is what www.greatwestfootball.com has for us

2004 South Dakota State Football Schedule

Date Opponent Time
Sept. 4 at UC Davis* 6 p.m. (PT)
Sept. 11 WINONA STATE 7 p.m.
Sept. 18 WESTERN OREGON 7 p.m.
Sept. 25 at Montana State (tentative) TBA
Oct. 2 at Saint Mary's* 1 p.m. (PT)
Oct. 9 NORTH DAKOTA STATE* TBA
Oct. 23 TBA TBA
Oct. 30 at Georgia Southern^ TBA
Nov. 6 AUGUSTANA 1 p.m.
Nov. 13 at Cal Poly* 6 p.m. (PT)
Nov. 20 at Northern Colorado* Noon (MT)
* - indicates Great West Football Game
^ - indicates designated Great West Football Game

Looks like the Georgia Southern game will be are sixth conference game. I thought that the Montana State game was a done deal, I don't know why it says tentative, I could be wrong. (I wish the tabs would work)

JACKGUY
02-25-2004, 02:19 PM
Too bad we couldn't get Southern Utah on October 23rd.

Crashola
02-25-2004, 03:17 PM
Or they could have designated the Augie came our extra "Conference Game!" ;D ;D ;D

SDSU_TUBA
02-25-2004, 06:37 PM
KSFY has the schedules for all conf. members. The only non-conf. game NDSU has is aginst Northwestern State so far

http://www.ksfy.com/Global/story.asp?S=1668527

89rabbit
03-11-2004, 07:16 PM
Anybody heard if we have worked out our schedule so that we can play Southern Utah now that St. Mary's is gone and the Montana St. game has been moved? Also any word on one more home game? There seems to be a few schools with open dates that might work for us and I think we could use one more home game (maybe for Hobo Day).

http://www.afca.com/lev2.cfm/316

Go State!

03-22-2004, 05:12 PM
On the Great West homepage there are some schedule changes posted. According to the Cal Poly schedule, we now play them on Oct 2. That open up November 13th for us which is a day that Southern Utah has open. I would guess that means that we will play Southern Utah on November 13th.

89rabbit
03-23-2004, 06:37 AM
On the Great West homepage there are some schedule changes posted. According to the Cal Poly schedule, we now play them on Oct 2. That open up November 13th for us which is a day that Southern Utah has open. I would guess that means that we will play Southern Utah on November 13th.

Nice catch rabbit74, I think you are right. That means that NDSU will stay put and they may end up being Hobo Day this year.

Go State!

jackmd
03-23-2004, 08:51 AM

Isn't it "magical" how things just seem to workout despite all the hatred and jealousy. Its not like several key people (who get bashed regularly) didn't work their butts off too garuntee some degree of success early in the transition. I'm sure for the skeptics (including some of our own alumni and students) it won't be enough and they will only become more jealous or feel more inferior or allow the fear of change to distract them from the facts. The move to DI is a good/great one for SDSU and the state of S.D. The sooner this is recognized the better of we will all be. Even you idiots at USD, UND, and UNO are likely to benefit and we will be happy to share.

Mavericks#1
03-23-2004, 09:00 AM
JackMD

Your reaching for straws! You think it is magical that your schedule works out. Now getting a couple D1 wins this year, now that will be magical. Beating NDSU would be magical. Every schools football schedule eventually works out. I understand that with your move to D1 that your celebrating every minor victory. But your football schedule working out????? Come on!!!!!

Maverick

uncbear
03-23-2004, 11:05 AM
JackMD

Your reaching for straws! You think it is magical that your schedule works out. Now getting a couple D1 wins this year, now that will be magical. Beating NDSU would be magical. Every schools football schedule eventually works out. I understand that with your move to D1 that your celebrating every minor victory. But your football schedule working out????? Come on!!!!!

Maverick

I sense some focused anger coming out of Omaha, or is it Morningside. Either way, I am sure both schools are green with envy about the move to D-I as evidenced by Morningside Maverick's attack.

Every schools football schedule eventually works out huh? How about Saint Mary's? did their schedule work out? Maybe you should think about the actual meaning of what you write before you write it.

By the way, I found a website a while ago from a UNO fan crying a river because the school has no plans to move to D-I. Have fun in D-II UNO! Hahahahahahahah

03-23-2004, 01:17 PM
I too sense some anger, but then again I'd be angry as well. The only reason you go to Omaha is if you "can't cut it" in Lincoln...and even that isn't very impressive these days.

I am impressed though, Omaha has atleast one fan! ...You couldn't tell this year by their homecoming game attendance of 37. I don't even think all the parents bothered to show up.

If you're just gonna come talk **** go find your own board.

Mavericks#1
03-23-2004, 02:04 PM
UNC Bear

You said have fun in D2. Are we talking about the same fun that your mens basketball team had this year. I sure you had a big party when Rutgers laid a hundred spot on you and beat you by 50. I can't imagine the jubilee in your handful of wins over the likes of Johnson & Wales and Kendall ( where in the hell are these schools anyway) Be glad that you didn't play Metro (d2). They would have laid a 40 point butt whipping on you like they did to another school who is going D1.
You lost to the Colorado School of Mines. These people care more about digging in the hills than they do about basketball. I saw them play in person and they are bad.
UNO beat them by ten on their own court. If that is your idea of fun you can have it!!!! hahahahaha

Maverick

P.S Quit kissing SDSU butt. Get some backbone and run some smack at them like I do.

Mavericks#1
03-23-2004, 04:52 PM
TalknSmack,

Are you talking about the homecoming game when D2 UNO beat future D1 powerhouse SDSU 34-17.
Or were you talking about UNO's two basketball victories over SDSU, one breaking your famed home win streak. Please clarify which of these games you are talking about???????

Maverick

P.S. Quit acting like it is your messageboard. D1aa.com has provided it for you. I'm sure they have no problen with me being on it.

bigjake
03-23-2004, 05:13 PM
The main thing that UNC is known for is that god awful smell coming from that packing plant in Greeley. That smell is enough to "choke a horse". I guess when they recruit their big time hotshots they have to make sure they aren't down wind that day. They recruit based on the wind's direction. That smell is amazing.
OH yeah unc - congrats on "running the table" this bb season. You didn't win one bb game against a d1 opponent. In fact you didn't come close. Kind of pulled a "morningside" this year - didn't you.

uncbear
03-23-2004, 05:49 PM
It is true that UNC's Basketball team is horrible--they were horrible at D-II but I guarantee that the fact that they are D-I will bring in better talent and they will improve.

When I say have fun in D-II I am saying that while UNC is playing football in front of 20,000+ fans in Montana, UNO will be battling Minnesota Duluth in front of 962 fans. While UNC is hosting Idaho State, UNO will be hosting Oklahoma Panhandle State. When UNC is hosting Colorado State in basketball next year in front of a packed house, UNO fans won't even know who their beloved Mavericks are playing because they will be talking sour grapes about the UNC game.

UNO and UND should form a support group to comfort each other because the move to D-I by UNC, SDSU, and NDSU seems to be very traumatic for both schools.

uncbear
03-23-2004, 06:00 PM
The main thing that UNC is known for is that god awful smell coming from that packing plant in Greeley. That smell is enough to "choke a horse". I guess when they recruit their big time hotshots they have to make sure they aren't down wind that day. They recruit based on the wind's direction. That smell is amazing.
OH yeah unc - congrats on "running the table" this bb season. You didn't win one bb game against a d1 opponent. In fact you didn't come close. Kind of pulled a "morningside" this year - didn't you.

"BigJake"

Do you spend a lot of time at truck stops? just curious.
It's also curious how you fail to mention UNC's football and baseball teams who held and are holding their own in their first D-I seasons.

P.S. When UNC goes to the College World Series in Omaha, you UNO fans can feel free to go watch.

MadJack
03-23-2004, 06:33 PM
Take the UNO - UNC smack talk somewhere else. Don't need to tune in to the SDSU board expecting to read about SDSU and have to put up with your trash talking to each other. If you want to talk about how great UNO is start your own board. I'm sure between UNO and USD you can find someone with enough computer literacy to help you out. I'll even spot you a web site

www.wearenotquiteasgoodasyou.com

Have fun with your board. I'm sure plenty of UNC, NDSU, and SDSU fans will be surfing your site to see how your rise to the top of D2 is going. And yes, I'm even man enough to congratulate UNO on their wrestling national championship. That is a great accomplishment. Now go the _ _ _ _ away!!!

Mavericks#1
03-23-2004, 08:46 PM
UNCBear,

What year do you plan on coming to the CWS. I will be sure and let my great great grandkids know to be on the lookout. I compare you to NDSU, your football program will do fine.( I hope you don't use strippers to recruit like the other state colleges do) It is the other sports that will suffer. Your basketball arena is an eyesore. Your football team does not draw anymore fans than ours does and neither does your basketball team. We play Creighton in basketball every year in front of 10,000 plus so what's your point. Your town does smell. I have been to many games there. I don''t miss going there. I did a little research on Johnson and Wales. They are a cooking school on the east coast. Maybe you can have a cookout after next years game. I hear they have a great recipe for humble pie!!!!!

Maverick

SDSU fan, again this is not your board, The website is d1aa.com so I can talk smack if I feel like it. I will stay off your other website www.weregoingtostrugglelikehellthenextfewyears.com

Rabbitlivinginverm
03-23-2004, 10:46 PM
big jake and maverick #1,

why don't you save yourself some time and the hassle and just post under 1 name. And for crying out loud, find yourself a better hobby that's better than looking up at the a$$ of the Jackrabbits. Do you golf? If not, now would be a great time to start...

I'm going to offer some advice. If you want to consider it than fine, if not, that's just fine also. You seem to have a passion for college athletics. That's great. Find some way to turn all the negative energy towards SDSU, UNC and others into something positive. I'm sure there is a food shelter or even better, a youth mentoring/big brother program in Omaha. Those kids would love to see a college game.

You have all this hate/anger inside of you. Take some time and reflect upon your life. Figure out what's important and focus yourself in that direction. Good luck in your future. I wish the best for you.

uncbear
03-24-2004, 01:57 PM
I never said UNO had a bad program and I think that UNO should move up to D-I--so the fact that UNO can beat UNC or SDSU in something does not dissuade me from supporting their moves to D-I. In fact, I think UNO is in a better position than UNC to move up being that there is no other D-I school in Nebraska other than the one. Therefore, I think the market would be ripe there for a move up.

I am criticizing UNO and UND for lack of vision in their decisions to not move up because I think both schools should and I think they will regret not doing so. I also think UNC, NDSU, and SDSU would benefit from UNO and UND making the move.

The smack talk back and forth is fun but I realize inappropriate here. I am just trying to clarify why I was talking smack. I do agree that it shouldn't be done on this message board and I will refrain in the future.

jackmd
03-24-2004, 05:44 PM
A little "criticism" from the appropriate place should always be tolerated and ideally accepted. "Smack" can be of high quality even if its a little "sharp". I for one enjoy it as long as it meets these criteria. It helps keep things interesting. I enjoy UNCbear and I actually like having maverick, maverick#1 and bigjake around.

MadJack
03-24-2004, 06:36 PM
SDSU fan, again this is not your board, The website is d1aa.com so I can talk smack if I feel like it.

Sorry, I guess the technicality of someone hosting the website was lost on me. I suppose it matters nothing that the subfolder at the top of the page is South Dakota State.

If some people enjoy reading UNO fan's rants that's fine. But start a new thread. Last time I checked this thread was titled "2004 and 2005 Football Schedules". I expect check this thread for updates on SDSU's football schedules since this is an SDSU based site not to read about UNO fan's take on all things related to hating schools trying to challenge themselves a little bit. Unlike Maverick #1 or whatever other name he posts under, I don't have all the time in the world to surf this site. When I log on I want to check to see which threads have been updated and read new information. At least if he had his own topic I could avoid it completely.

And yes, obviously he has a passion for college athletics, which most of us do since we spend time on this site and supporting our beloved Jacks. This is a serious suggestions, but maybe Maverick #1 could check into starting a chatboard for UNO fans. I know there are sites that do free hosting of chatboards. Check out http://www.yabbforum.com/ for information. This site is the basis for our very own chatboard.

jackmd
03-24-2004, 06:47 PM
Sorry, I guess the technicality of someone hosting the website was lost on me. I suppose it matters nothing that the subfolder at the top of the page is South Dakota State.

If some people enjoy reading UNO fan's rants that's fine. But start a new thread. Last time I checked this thread was titled "2004 and 2005 Football Schedules". I expect check this thread for updates on SDSU's football schedules since this is an SDSU based site not to read about UNO fan's take on all things related to hating schools trying to challenge themselves a little bit. Unlike Maverick #1 or whatever other name he posts under, I don't have all the time in the world to surf this site. When I log on I want to check to see which threads have been updated and read new information. At least if he had his own topic I could avoid it completely.

And yes, obviously he has a passion for college athletics, which most of us do since we spend time on this site and supporting our beloved Jacks. This is a serious suggestions, but maybe Maverick #1 could check into starting a chatboard for UNO fans. I know there are sites that do free hosting of chatboards. Check out http://www.yabbforum.com/ for information. This site is the basis for our very own chatboard.

Well said, nice perspective hoopla4u. It would be nice if there was some respect for the topic at hand. I think this will improve as people become more familiar with this mode of communication. A certain degree of respect is absolute. I hope we see this in the future.

Crashola
03-25-2004, 10:41 AM
To turn this thread back to the proper subject:

Has anyone heard any official word on how the Jacks football schedule is firming up? Will they get the full GWC round robin scheduled?

jackrabbit1979
03-25-2004, 12:12 PM
Haven't heard anything new on the change, last i heard it sounded like we would be playing southern utah sometime in november and would be switching cal poly? to a date earlier in the year. it looks as if we have had much better luck scheduling games than NDSU, which is kinda nice beings all the crap we get about being a basketball school. You would think the process would have went much easier for them, since they are a "perennial powerhouse in D2 football". If you check out bisonville or sioux boards you wouldn't even think SDSU had a football team for how much we get trashed.

bigjake
03-25-2004, 05:19 PM
Hey Rabbit Living in Vermont, If I were you I would spend less time on this site and go to beautiful Burlington and ski in the winter and enjoy Lake Champlayne (sic) in the summer. Now that is a great place. Being in Vermont am I to assume you may be SDSU's only living Democratic party alumnus. Don't tell your fellow Jack brethren that you will probably be voting for John Kerry this November. Long live the "People's Republic of Vermont"!! One of the most beautiful places in America - of course behind Brookings, SD.
By the way I am different from Maverick. Honest. We actually do have 2 big UNO fans.

bigjake
03-25-2004, 06:46 PM
Oh yeah, congrats to the Jacks for getting a good fb schedule for 2004. If I was a fan of yours (and I am definitely not) I would find your schedule pretty interesting.

Rabbitlivinginverm
03-25-2004, 06:46 PM
That's fine if you are two different people. Hard to believe that there are two UNO fans that share a passion for college athletics. I live in Vermillion--not Vermont. But seriously, consider sharing your passion with the youth of Omaha.

WYOBISONMAN
03-26-2004, 12:08 PM
jackrabbit1979...NDSU has put together a pretty solid schedule. Actually, I think a lot of schools have been afraid to play NDSU since the big win at Montana....

Texas_Jacks_Fan
03-26-2004, 03:27 PM
Thank you Wyobison and Jackrabbit79 for talking about our schedule. It is confirmed- we play S. Utah at Cedar City, UT on Nov. 13th. SDSU is still looking for one more home game. I Love our schedule, Our Athletic Dept. did a great job. We can look forward to probably 7 home games in 2005!

Crashola
03-26-2004, 04:17 PM
I wonder if the GWC will do some jumbling of schedules to even out the home-away discrepancies that come with forming a new conference. The Jacks travel to 4 GWC schools and get only 1 at home this year. In all likelihood, in 2005 the conference will send State on the road to at least one of the GWC schools they visited in 2004 (or maybe they'll fix it in 2006). They'll need to even out that discrepancy eventually.

Also, it's great news that the Jacks will be able to play Southern Utah. Now that road trip to Georgia won't be counted as a "conference" game.

03-26-2004, 07:44 PM
Your right. The SDSU game with Southern Utah is now listed on the football schedule on Southern Utah's home page.

http://www.suu.edu/athletics/football/schedule.html

This gives us a good schedule. Another home game would be make it great. Hopefully something will come along against a D-IIA team for the September 25th open date.

Texas_Jacks_Fan
03-27-2004, 08:32 AM
I am confident we can find another home game, I'm looking at it as a bonus game. It may be against a smaller school, thats ok with me. I saw NDSU has Montana Tech. on their schedule. SDSU is playing a very tough schedule this year, a schedule filler might actually be nice. A schedule like ours during our transition year is awesome- Fred and Stig did a great job.

Rabbitlivinginverm
03-27-2004, 08:41 AM
They did an excellent job with the schedule. Any word on the date for HOBO days??

Jack
03-27-2004, 06:42 PM
Regardless of who fills the 2004 schedule, the whole thing is going to be new and exciting. Now, this will be tough for FES people but we will discover there are schools past Colorado. This is what college athletics is all about.

JACKGUY
03-27-2004, 06:59 PM
The FES Society can continue to live in the past while the rest of us enjoy the exciting ride into DI athletics. I don't think Hobo Day should be against NDSU as that game will be huge anyway. I hope we can find a DIAA team that will travel to Brookings so we can showcase the new level of competition that we are in store for.

89rabbit
03-31-2004, 03:50 PM
Looks like we are still looking for two games. According to the Collegian Hobo day is Oct. 23rd. However that is the day that we are playing Montana St. at their place. To me it looks like NDSU on the 9th (because it is our only Home game in Oct.) unless we pick up a game on the 16th.

http://www.sdsucollegian.com/news/2004/03/23/JuiceSport/Great.West.Loses.Team-642220.shtml

Great West Loses Team
By Adam Zobel
Published: Tuesday, March 23, 2004
Article Tools: Page 1 of 1

The Great West Football Conference, the recently-announced Division I-AA football-only league that SDSU joined last month, lost one of its members March 3 when St. Mary's College announced that it was immediately discontinuing its football program for financial and competitive reasons.

The California school had been scheduled to play SDSU in Moraga, Calif., on Oct. 2.

The elimination of the school from the schedule leaves the Jacks with nine games set for the 2004 gridiron season.

Two matchups, including the annual Hobo Day game on Oct. 23, are still to be determined.

The schedule change may, however, allow SDSU to schedule a game with fellow conference member Southern Utah. . . .

http://greatwestfootball.ocsn.com/scheds/gwfc-scheds.html

Date Opponent Time
Sept. 25 TBA TBA
Oct. 2 at Cal Poly* 6 p.m. (PT)
Oct. 23 at Montana State TBA
Oct. 30 at Georgia Southern TBA
Nov. 6 AUGUSTANA 1 p.m.
Nov. 13 at Southern Utah* TBA
All Times Local

Either way I will be there. Can't wait for our first Hobo Day as a I-AA!

Go State!

03-31-2004, 07:50 PM
The Great West home page schedule has our updated schedule. Southern Utah is on Nov 13, Montana State and Caly Poly on Oct 23 and 2nd. September 25th is listed as TBA. The site address is listed below.

jackmd
04-01-2004, 07:46 AM
The Great West home page schedule has our updated schedule. Southern Utah is on Nov 13, Montana State and Caly Poly on Oct 23 and 2nd. September 25th is listed as TBA. The site address is listed below.

It would seem to me (and that means nothing) that the Oct 9th game with NDSU would be an excellent one for Hobo Day. Perhaps, the thinking is that the crowd will be good for the NDSU game no matter what and they want to place more signifigance on a different opponent to increase attendance at that game. Unfortunately the only options are the Sept 25th date (TBA), Oct 16th (which they wanted to leave open), and Nov 6th with Augie (not a real option). Sept 25th seems early but if we could get a game with a DI-AA opponent in Brookings that day, it should be Hobo Day. Probably not realistic, but there is always hope.

Alumguy
04-01-2004, 08:58 AM
It's my understanding that the athletic department is in conversation with a few schools concerning the September 25 date. If filled, the date would most likely become Hobo Day. I believe the October 9 game with NDSU will be Beef Bowl, another great day on our campus. In fact, Beef Bowl smells better than Hobo Day but you don't get a parade.

04-01-2004, 09:37 AM
It would be a great if NDSU played SDSU on Hobo Day, the crowd would be huge and two starters on the offensive line for NDSU are from the brookings area(popowski and buckwalter).

Rabbitlivinginverm
04-01-2004, 09:57 AM
I would like to see the NDSU game be the Beef Bowl. There's always a great amount of alumni that return for that one. It'd be nice to bring in a D1AA opponent for Hobo Day.

jackrabbit1979
04-01-2004, 11:33 AM
From what i have heard the Sept. 18th game is going to be the beef bowl and then hobo days on Oct. 9. However, this all changes if find a home game for Sept. 25. Then it would be more realistic of a possibility having hobo day on Sept. 25. However, it always seems the beef bowl is before Hobo Days (am i wrong?) and the date of october 9 seems about perfect for Hobo days no matter who we are playing.

Alumguy
04-01-2004, 11:41 AM
Perhaps the land grant roots of both NDSU and SDSU has something to do with the Beef Bowl "fit" on that particular day. I'm not sure.

89rabbit
04-01-2004, 11:49 AM
I for one am good with a Sept. 25th Hobo Day game. We knew going into this D-I move that some things were going to change. My guess is that in 2005 you will see Hobo Day move back to Oct. this year was just a little bump in the road due to scheduling.

Next year we should have home games against either Montana St. or Georgia Southern that could serve as Hobo Day! ;D Alumguy any hint as to who we are talking to for the Sept. 25th date? Do you know if we are talking with I-AA schools or D-II schools to fill the date? No matter who we play, no matter when we play I will be a Coughlin for Hobo Day!

Go State!

JACKGUY
05-27-2004, 08:50 AM
It would have been nice to have Hobo Day on Sept 25th against a DIAA opponent and introduce the big crowd to a new opponent and brand of competition. I understand the need to move forward if an opponent has not been found (most likely DII). The Augie crowds in recent years have been dissapointing based on their lackluster teams and too few Augie traveling to Brookings. I think making the game Hobo Day will bring a lot of excitement with an old familiar instate opponent. Pressure will be on for us to play well and even though the increase in scholarships and upgrade in talent has not really kicked in we will be expected to win and win big. Anything short of that whether it's fair or not will give the naysayers plent to chirp about. Any word on possibilites for a game on Sept 25th as its getting late to find an opponent. Hopefully some upgrades to Coughlin will be made by the time many of the DIAA teams begin coming to Brookings in 2005.

JACKGUY
05-27-2004, 10:54 AM
It seems the home game we are seeking for the Sept 25th open date has been challenging to find an opponent. They are now considering options for a late August home game that would give the Jacks the 11 games they are seeking and 5 home games. Still hope its a DIAA school.

Texas_Jacks_Fan
05-27-2004, 11:12 AM
I was over on the AFCA site looking at the open dates. These dates may have been filled by now, but Wofford, Furman, and W. Illinois had the 9/25 date open. By the way... Washington St. and Auburn were also open on that date ;D I am looking forward to getting a game like that in few years!!

JACKGUY
05-27-2004, 11:45 AM
Western Illinois would be a good game since we may end up in the Mid-Con for all other sports.

JACKGUY
06-04-2004, 07:33 AM
Our September 17th, 2005 game against Northern Iowa may be in jeopardy as they may now have an opportunity to play Iowa on that date. Hopefully if this happens they will reschedule the game.

89rabbit
06-04-2004, 07:53 AM
Looks like UNI wants to work it out with us. Here is part of the story from today's Des Monies Register:

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040604/SPORTS020502/406040367/1003/SPORTS&session=9d6jTKU0M4xPaAShOoDx2etabR

Panthers could play Iowa in football

Northern Iowa could fill slot on Hawkeyes' schedule for 2005.

By RANDY PETERSON
REGISTER STAFF WRITER
06/04/2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Athletic directors from Iowa and Northern Iowa are talking about scheduling a football game to be played in 2005 at Kinnick Stadium in Iowa City.

"I've told Northern Iowa that we will look for a way to put them on the 2005 schedule," Iowa athletic director Bob Bowlsby said Thursday.

Northern Iowa athletic director Rick Hartzell said he would do everything he can to make the first football game between the schools since 1997 become reality.

"I think what's going to happen is that Iowa's going to ask us to play, and we're most likely going to say yes," Hartzell said Thursday.

Iowa is scrambling to replace Missouri, which backed out of the first two games of a four-game contract that was signed in 1994. The first game was supposed to be Sept. 3, 2005 in Iowa City.

Bowlsby approached Hartzell about the teams playing that day at Kinnick Stadium. Northern Iowa declined because of a Sept. 1 home game against Drake.

"We worked four years to get Drake on the schedule; we finally got an agreement and I ain't moving the game," Hartzell said. "It wouldn't be fair to Drake. It wouldn't be fair to anybody, because it's a great game for both of us."

Two weeks later, Sept. 17 in Iowa City, would be more likely, despite both schools having conflicts - Iowa hosting Ball State, and Northern Iowa hosting South Dakota State.

"Ball State wants to get out of the game," Bowlsby said. "They've handled it professionally, and they've done everything they should, including getting to us real early.

"Unlike Missouri, Ball State said if you can't work it out, we'll play."

Missouri unconditionally broke the first two years of the Iowa contract in favor of playing games against Arkansas State.

Hartzell seemed to think Sept. 17 would work.

"We'd have to move the South Dakota State game, but I think we could get it to work," Hartzell said.

Once every four years, NCAA rules allow Division I-A schools to count a victory against a I-AA school, such as Northern Iowa, toward bowl eligibility. . . .

newser
06-04-2004, 08:25 AM
Talks were underway to go to Indiana State for the September 25th game, but that has apparently fallen through. At least for the moment!

jackmd
06-06-2004, 10:58 AM
While covering the ER in Winona, MN yesterday I had the pleasure of taking care of a linebacker on the Winona St. football team. We talked about their season last year and the disappointing loss to UND in the playoffs.

He commented on how talented the SDSU players were and just how big their win over SDSU was. He really felt it gave them the confidence to have as great a year as they did.

The conversation then shifted to the upcoming season and our move to DIAA. He said that the team is already geared up for the game with SDSU. They know just how great a win over a team in a division above them would be.

We can't take a good DII team like Winona St. lightly. I was at the game last year and they have a talented offense that can score a lot of points. Their defense vastly improved at the end of last year. I hope we can come out in the early season and get a big win at UC Davis but we had better be ready for a scrapy Winona St. team for our home opener. They have a lot to gain with a good showing against the Jacks and you can bet that they know it. Go Jacks!!

Date Opponent Time
Sept. 25 TBA TBA
Oct. 23 at Montana State TBA
Oct. 30 at Georgia Southern TBA
Nov. 6 AUGUSTANA 1 p.m.
Nov. 13 at Southern Utah* TBA
All Times Local

SDSUFAN
06-06-2004, 11:28 AM
Jackmd:
I can concur with what the young man told you. The Winona fans over on D2football.com are still talking about the win last year. Also they feel that losing 23 seniors is not a problem and that the replacements should pick up where the others left off and I am not so sure about that, but I agree, we ought not to take them likely.

They have a great coaching staff plus they can go over to Wisconsin and get all sorts of players. Its amazing what they have accompolished with 21 scholarships.

JACKGUY
06-08-2004, 08:45 AM
Did anyone hear anything about filling our last open football date at the Stan Marshall?

SDSUFAN
06-08-2004, 08:51 AM
The 25th open date never came up in my conversations so looks like we will go with what we have. I could be wrong, but nothing was said that I recall.

Texas_Jacks_Fan
06-08-2004, 01:59 PM
It sounds like were having a very difficult time filling that last open date, they havent given up in hopes of finding one more game though, We may be looking at getting a game on that last weekend in August like NDSU did with Valparaiso.

JACKGUY
06-08-2004, 02:58 PM
We need the 11th game for the players sake and the 5th home game for the fans. It will be difficult for the administration to sell a 4 game home season ticket package. I don't think people care if that 11th game is in August or Sept. I had hoped we could land one DIAA home game outside of NDSU. The conference would have done better to create more balance between home and away games in 2004 as the Jacks 2005 schedule will slanted in the other direction.

newser
06-17-2004, 07:49 AM
It looks like the Jacks could be going to Baton Rouge on September 25th.
Southern University has an open date, and apparently is interested.

JACKGUY
06-17-2004, 08:05 AM
Southern already has 6 home dates. I wonder if they would consider coming to Brookings.

SDSUFAN
06-17-2004, 08:14 AM
It looks like the Jacks could be going to Baton Rouge on September 25th.
Southern University has an open date, and apparently is interested.

As they used to say in the old days of radio" Dont touch that Dial, we will be right back". In other words, I think you guys are on the right track and Southern could be a possiblity. This could happen. Lets hope for an offical announcement soon.

89rabbit
06-17-2004, 08:26 AM
It would be GREAT to play Southern talk about another fantastic I-AA opponent! :o Tradition rich and on TV every year with Grambling in the Bayou Classic. Hope it is a home and home. Love to see the Jaguars in Brookings! 8)

http://www.subr.edu/athletics/footballsched.html

Go State! ;D

SDSUFAN
06-17-2004, 08:45 AM
I do hope this deal does come through. Among the historical black colleges, except for Florida A & M and Grambling, Southern has quite a tradition in winning. I watched the Bayou classic last year and wonder if we could even stay on the same field with these guys be they Southern or Grambling. Southern loves to pass and so does Grambling.

Lets hope we connect on the schedule and that we give them a run for the money. If this does happen, and its a road game that not going to be good to have a 4 game home stand, but there is always next year. Our guys are either going to go forward or go backwards, I think we will go forward. Next year we will either have broken spirits or one heck of a football team.

It could be a beginning of a new era of football at SDSU.

89rabbit
06-17-2004, 12:15 PM
Here is a link to the SWAC site:

http://www.swacpage.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39934

Go State! ;D

JACKGUY
06-17-2004, 12:30 PM
If it is a home/home series it would sure be nice to get the 2004 game in Brookings. We don't really need another home game next year, but could sure use another DIAA home game this year. The players better be ready to strap it on as they are going to be playing against an elevated level of competition. I hope some of the South Dakota kids are watching these schedules that are taking shape in all sports. How could you not want to compete against the likes of Southern in Football and San Diego State in Basketball vs "South Dakotas Team's" schedule Upper Iowa and Wayne State!

Montana_Jack
06-17-2004, 12:36 PM
Researching Southern, they appear to be very good football team with a very large fan base.

Hopefully 1-AA power McNesse State will soften them up for us.

I would love to travel to Louisiana for this game. Baton Rouge is only 60 miles from New Orleans. (Bourbon Street)

LIL_JAG
06-17-2004, 01:27 PM
hello

a little info on southern football last year.

record: 12-1
National black college champs
swac western division champs
swac conference champs
ranked 14th in the final I-AA polls
average over 40 points per game
the last 11 years had winning seasons

stadium name: A. W Mumford stadium (24,000)

SDSUFAN
06-17-2004, 01:34 PM
THats impressive Lil Jaq Welcome aboard. I have a close friend who is a Southern Grad so I know a little about your program. That sounds like a nice facility and is it a Dome?

LIL_JAG
06-17-2004, 01:52 PM
no it is not a dome.

they will be adding more seat to the stadium starting maybe next year. When it is done it should fit around 28,000 or 29,000 fans.

A lot of work has been to the stadium lately. A new scoreboard with state of the art video replay screen. A new 2 story pressbox with private elevators and luxury boxes .

A new playing surface too. i just hear that the deal is complete. hope to see u soon in Baton Rouge.

89rabbit
06-17-2004, 01:56 PM
hello

a little info on southern football last year.

record: 12-1
National black college champs
swac western division champs
swac conference champs
ranked 14th in the final I-AA polls
average over 40 points per game
the last 11 years had winning seasons

stadium name: A. W Mumford stadium (24,000)

LIL_JAG,

Welcome and thanks for the info! The Southern game could very well be the toughest game on our schedule (and that is saying a lot with our schedule, Georgia Southern, Montana St. and the Great West Conf.)! Should be fun. Do you have any pics of A. W Mumford Stadium? Just wondering what it looks like, can't seem to find any images on the net.

Go State! ;D

jackrabbit1979
06-17-2004, 02:46 PM
is this a done deal? It seems to have been speculation this morning and now we have Southern fans asking us about the trip? Any official word yet or are we getting the cart in front of the horse? ;D

89rabbit
06-17-2004, 02:51 PM
A poster on the SWAC board said it is signed. Don't know how good a source this is. Our best bet is to wait for an offical announcement.

http://www.swacpage.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39934

Go State! ;D

ralph
06-17-2004, 07:13 PM
Massey Ratings 2003 (699 NCAA squads):
148. Southern Univ
150. S Dakota St
http://www.masseyratings.com/rate/cf-m.htm

sharpysu
06-17-2004, 09:11 PM
Here's a link to pictures of the Southern Jaguars Homecoming 2003 ;)

http://www.ofoto.com/PhotoView.jsp?collid=36256666605&photoid=440649666 05&US=0&refreshkey=1087527395998

89rabbit
06-19-2004, 06:33 AM
Here's a link to pictures of the Southern Jaguars Homecoming 2003 ;)

http://www.ofoto.com/PhotoView.jsp?collid=36256666605&photoid=440649666 05&US=0&refreshkey=1087527395998

sharpysu,

Welcome to the board. Glad to have you here. Do you have a different link, this one is not working. I would love to see some pictures of SU's homecoming, I'll bet it is a great time.

Go State! :)

sharpysu
06-19-2004, 12:17 PM
Send me your e-mail and I'll send you an invite. My e-mail is sharpy@bellsouth.net

goyotes
06-19-2004, 03:00 PM
If it is a home/home series it would sure be nice to get the 2004 game in Brookings. We don't really need another home game next year, but could sure use another DIAA home game this year. The players better be ready to strap it on as they are going to be playing against an elevated level of competition. I hope some of the South Dakota kids are watching these schedules that are taking shape in all sports. How could you not want to compete against the likes of Southern in Football and San Diego State in Basketball vs "South Dakotas Team's" schedule Upper Iowa and Wayne State!

Upper Iowa 2004-05 mens basketball schedule shows a 2/12 game at South Dakota State.

rabbit85
06-19-2004, 03:23 PM
For one year during the transition, not as a regular occurence, and not as an away game in football, or a regular occurence in basketball. If you take the overall looks of the schedules, ie. SDSU playing D-I schools, with a few d-2's and NAIA's on the schedule during the transition, compared to the regular occurences of peru state, upper iowa etc., I think you'll be able to tell which institution is the flagship of the state, and which "institution" is a wannabe. In a few years USD will still be playing upper iowa, while SDSU will be playing Kansas, Purdue, Minnesota etc. at frost.

JBNJBQ
06-19-2004, 04:02 PM
For one year during the transition, not as a regular occurence, and not as an away game in football, or a regular occurence in basketball. If you take the overall looks of the schedules, ie. SDSU playing D-I schools, with a few d-2's and NAIA's on the schedule during the transition, compared to the regular occurences of peru state, upper iowa etc., I think you'll be able to tell which institution is the flagship of the state, and which "institution" is a wannabe. In a few years USD will still be playing upper iowa, while SDSU will be playing Kansas, Purdue, Minnesota etc. at frost.

You've got it right "85". For every Upper Iowa type team (this year), SDSU will also have a Purdue, Kentucky, or Oklahoma State type team to offset it. Next year and in the years to come Upper Iowa type teams will only play teams like USD that will be happy to load their schedule with sure wins to offset their inability to compete even at the D-II level.

SDSU still has the only D-I university in the GREAT STATE of South Dakota! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

goyotes
06-19-2004, 04:47 PM
D-1AA in name only in athletics. A tier below USD in academics.

89rabbit
06-19-2004, 06:13 PM

Ha ha ha ha ha ha! The coyote made a funny! ;D ;D ;D

SDSU South Dakota's only D-I University! 8)

89rabbit
06-19-2004, 06:23 PM
Upper Iowa 2004-05 mens basketball schedule shows a 2/12 game at South Dakota State.

Silly and sad Coyote, why are you posting basketball schedules on a football thread. You are playing Peru St. (NAIA), some D-III Wisconsin school and Upper Iowa as OOC games in Football. We are playing Southern University, Montana State, and Georgia Southern as OOC games in football. See a difference? I will say it is kind of funny watching the U fight to stay relevant.

Go State! ;D

jackrabbit1979
06-21-2004, 06:35 AM

You must be reaching here, i don't think you want to go there. ;D

jackrabbit1979
06-21-2004, 10:50 AM
There is a poll on the great west board about the toughest schedule in the conference. With the addition of Southern, to go along with (G Southern, Mont. St., and the road schedule we play in the conference) we should definately contend for this honor. Everyone get out and vote. UNC schedule looks pretty good, but otherwise i don't think anyone holds a flame.

89rabbit
06-21-2004, 06:15 PM
This from the Great West Board, looks like our schedule is complete. Hats off to everyone in the Athletics Dept. this is a fine schedule for our first season in I-AA!:

http://greatwestfootball.collegesports.com/scheds/gwfc-scheds.html

Date Opponent Time
Sept. 11 WINONA STATE 7 p.m. (CT)
Sept. 18 WESTERN OREGON 7 p.m. CT)
Sept. 25 at Southern (La.) 7 p.m. (CT)
Oct. 9 NORTH DAKOTA STATE* 7 p.m. (CT)
Oct. 16 OPEN
Oct. 23 at Montana State 1:05 p.m. (MT)
Oct. 30 at Georgia Southern 1 p.m. (ET)
Nov. 6 AUGUSTANA 2 p.m. (CT)
Nov. 13 at Southern Utah* 3 p.m. (MT)
All Times Local

Go State! ;D

JACKGUY
06-24-2004, 07:27 AM
Updated 2005 Football Schedule:

Sept 10 Valpraiso (Ind)
Sept 17 at Northern Iowa
Sept 24 Cal Poly
Oct 8 UC Davis
Oct 15 at NDSU
Oct 29 Georgian Southern
Nov 5 Southern Utah
Nov 19 Northern Colorado

Three more games to go. The UNI game be moved to accomadate UNI-Iowa. What a home schedule. Maybe we will see Southern on there as well.

jackmd
06-24-2004, 08:37 AM
Updated 2005 Football Schedule:

Sept 10 Valpraiso (Ind)
Sept 17 at Northern Iowa
Sept 24 Cal Poly
Oct 8 UC Davis
Oct 15 at NDSU
Oct 29 Georgian Southern
Nov 5 Southern Utah
Nov 19 Northern Colorado

Three more games to go. The UNI game be moved to accomadate UNI-Iowa. What a home schedule. Maybe we will see Southern on there as well.

As a partial schedule this is great!! Home and away. Season tickets won't be $48 next year, understandabley so. Can any other team in the state offer a chance to see competition like this?? I hope people recognize how great this is for everyone associated with SDSU and the state of S.D. Just wait until the BB schedule includes major DI teams coming to Brookings. Our future is bright. Go Jacks!!

jackmd
07-01-2004, 07:35 AM
From Sid Hartman's column in the Star Trib. Lets get SDSU involved in this conversation, especially after we defeat NDSU and Montana St. this year.

Gophers athletic director Joel Maturi is still looking for a nonconference football game for the 2005 season. If he can't get a Division I team -- and it's difficult at this time -- it is possible that Division I-AA Montana State or North Dakota State could be on the schedule. Maturi is working hard to upgrade the nonconference schedule in the future.

jackmd
07-07-2004, 01:14 PM
SDSU's 2004 schedule is currently the feature article on the Great West website. No real new info here but nice to see.

SDSU 2004 football schedule (http://greatwestfootball.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/070104aaa.html)

jackmd
07-19-2004, 11:49 AM
SDSU leads over NDSU in the poll for the toughest schedule in the Great West next year. The other teams are a distant 3rd.

http://greatwestfootball.collegesports.com/

For a school dominated by basketball (men's for years and more recently a resurgence for the women) we should give ample credit to the athletic dept and football staff for obtaining a fantastic schedule for the inagural year at the DIAA level (not to mention the voleyball squad and their first year schedule). Not trying to take anything away from BB as it will still by "the sport" at SDSU and I look forward to some great games in the future.

That said, the focus should really be on FB and I can't give enough credit. In my opinion this year has been a success regardless of the season's outcome. Granted, we can't go out and lose 10 games and ask for the same, but I can't foresee that happening. What I wanted to say was, nice work. As the first major sport at the DI level the FB team as done a nice job of kicking things off (pun intended). Way to go Jackrabbits!!!

bisonguy
07-19-2004, 04:11 PM
That poll is whacked out. :o :o

I voted for UNC before SDSU added Southern(I thought SDSU had the second toughest schedule at that point). It's a tossup between the two schools-

UNC has Maine and Montana (both possible top 10 preseason teams)
Florida Atlantic- made it to the I-AA semis last year

SDSU has Georgia Southern (the NDSU of I-AA ;D)
Montana State (Grizzly killers)
and Southern (should be very good- but hard to tell because of the SWAC's lack of out of conference play)

I don't envy either of your schedules. ;)

NDSU has a tough enough schedule without being too brutal. NDSU only has a lot of votes because some Bison fans probably thought it was a popularity contest.

newser
07-21-2004, 09:26 AM
Media day for the fall sports has been set for August 16.
Thats the day we get to meet & greet football coaches and players, along with the volleyball, golf and cross country coaches. Its a good chance to get a read on who is there, and how ready they are.