September 25 at Montana State
    October 2 at St. Mary's (CA)
    October 30 at Georgia Southern
    November 6 AUGUSTANA

September 17 at Northern Iowa
    October 8 CAL DAVIS
    October 22 ST. MARY'S (CA)
    October 29 GEORGIA SOUTHERN

As expected, scheduling is a little difficult.

Re: 2004 and 2005 Football Schedules

NDSU has got to be on both the 04 and 05 schedule-maybe they are just waiting to add that one until the others are set to make it fit in according to the remaining schedule. I thought someone at bisonville posted that it would be in Brookings in 04. I would love to see Cal-Poly in 04-I've been wanting that road trip ever since we announced our D-1 move!

Comment

A friend gave me the full Augustana schedule...Looks a little better than ours, but the non-conference is still rusty.

Aug 28 Concordia St. Paul *
      Sept 4 Northern State *
      Sept 11 Southwest Minnesota State
      Sept 18 U of Minn-Crookston
      Sept 25 UND *
      Oct 2 USD
      Oct. 9 St. Cloud State *
      Oct. 16 UNO *
      Oct. 23 Uof Minn-Duluth
      Oct. 30 Minn. State- Mankato
      Nov. 6 SDSU

* Home Games

Comment

Great to see Northern Iowa on the schedule in 2005. Should be a fun roadtrip. The 2005 home schedule should be very solid. NDSU will be a home game in 2004 and may be the Hobo Day game!

Comment

I was told that Montana St was a home/home but I don't see them on the 05 schedule yet. Any reason for this??

On another note... The Augie schedule doesnt look too bad. I wonder if we will play SW Minn St in 05 due to the last D1AA transitional year. With the coachiing job going to Eidsness I am wondering if we may schedule them if there is an opportunity and we have a hole to fill.

Comment

The Augie schedule looks great compared to USD. Concordia has an excellent team. Crookston is the only really weak game. With Northern being considered for the NCC thats a logical game. Eidsness at SW should make for an intriguing match-up. I like Augies schedule a hell of a lot more than USD's.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Anyone know when Hobo Days is next year? I hope it isn't in the bowels of winter like this year. It was disgustingly cold this year, and I hope not to have to stuff my body with hot liquor to avoid the waxy white extremities.

Comment

As I understand it, a Hobo Day date has not been selected. Judging by the partial schedule, I don't think any of those dates for home games look very appealing. So, I think we will have to wait and see if the Athletic Department is able to schedule an October home game.

Comment

From the Argus:

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Th...article2.shtml

Much travel awaits SDSU's football team
                  Chris Solari
                  csolari@argusleader.com

published: 2/5/2004

Jackrabbits scheduled to make three trips to California next fall

BROOKINGS - South Dakota State University released nine games on its travel-filled 2004 football schedule Wednesday.

The announcement came on the NCAA's national signing day, the first day recruits cuold officially join SDSU's program in its trek to Division I-AA.

The Jackrabbits will venture to Georgia, Montana and Colorado, along with making three trips to California next season, their first at the I-AA level.

SDSU will also play five home games at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium, for a total of 11 games. A home contest against North Dakota State still sits as tentative as a date is worked out. Hobo Day will be on Oct. 23, but the opponent is yet to be determined.

"It really fell into shape," SDSU football coach John Stiegelmeier said. "I think one of the things that helped out was the push to try to get this conference accelerated. People, I think, adjusted some of their schedules (to fit in SDSU)."

Games with five of the six other schools that are in the final stages of forming a I-AA football league with SDSU are also on tap. Along with NDSU, those schools are California-Davis, St. Mary's (Calif.), Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo and Northern Colorado. Only Southern Utah is not on the schedule.

But perhaps the most pleasing news to football purists in the state is the Jackrabbits have cemented a game with Augustana for Nov. 6 in Brookings.

"I'm happy that it worked out," said Vikings coach Jim Heinitz, himself an SDSU alum. "Every team in the NCC has a bye, and we wanted to play someone of quality. SDSU was open and we were open, so it was good for everyone. I believe it's a good idea to maintain that rivalry."

In all, SDSU's I-AA travel will entail nearly 6,500 miles between Brookings and the other universities. Last season, the Jackrabbit football squad logged just over 2,000 miles to five road games. That included trips to Western Oregon and Winona State.

The 2004 schedule has only three Division II opponents -ÊAugustana, Winona State and Western Oregon. The University of South Dakota, the Jackrabbits' chief rival in Division II, has been scheduled, and the Coyotes do not have any open dates that coincide with those on SDSU's list.

The Jacks' most interesting game is at Georgia Southern on Oct. 30 in Statesboro, Ga. The Eagles, who play at Division I-A Georgia to open the season, finished 7-4 in 2003 but are typically a perennial I-AA power.

SDSU decided to leave Oct. 16 open. That is the first day of pheasant season in South Dakota, typically one of the least-attended games when one is scheduled that day at Coughlin-Alumni.

SDSU cannot earn a spot in the 16-team I-AA playoffs until 2008.

In releasing this fall's slate, SDSU also teased its 2005 schedule by revealing four already-set games against I-AA opponents:

• At Northern Iowa on Sept. 17, 2005;

• Home against Cal-Davis on Oct. 8, 2005;

• Home against St. Mary's on Oct. 22, 2005;

• And home against Georgia Southern on Oct. 29, 2005.

Stiegelmeier also said a tentative agreement has been hashed out for 2005 with Valparaiso in Indiana.

"You're always working ahead," he said. "I'm going to be calling some I-A schools, the lower echelon. As we work to get this conference going, I've got to check out anybody."

I think Valpo in 2005 is great. It does lead me to speculate that we will be in the Mid-Con for all sports except football where we will be in the GWC which will be managed by the Mid-Con. I also like the fact that Stig is calling "I-A schools, the lower echelon" I would love to play one of them.

Go State!

Comment

I think thats great. Even though we will be making a lot of road trips next year It also means that most of those schools will be visiting Brookings the year after. Everyone knew going in, the first couple of years would be a little unorthodox, I think this is an incredible schedule our first year-better than I had ever hoped for Way to go SDSU !!!!

Comment

2004 opponents (no dates)

Western Oregon-H
                      Winona St.-H
                      Cal Davis-A
                      NDSU-H
                      St. Marys-A
                      Montana St.-A
                      Cal Poly-A
                      Augustana-H
                      Georgia Southern-A
                      Northern Colorado-A

Comment

The only missing game is Hobo Day against a TBD opponent. Jacks did well with the schedule under the circumstances. 2005 will be outstanding!

Comment

What does Solari mean by "the most pleasing news for football purists in the state is the Jackrabbits have cemented a game with Augustana". What an idiot!! He should be more excited about the prospect of teams like Georgia Southern, Montana, Montana St, Valpo, Northern Iowa, etc...playing in Brookings, SD. A true football purist wants to see the best possible talent on a week in and week out basis. This sure as hell isn't Augustana, USD, etc.. Get a clue Solari. Nice headline by the way, what a Jackass.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I was just sitting here thinking about our confirmed 1AA opponets next year. Dont get me wrong here- I love our schedule, but nobody can accuse us of scheduling patsys.
                            Ga. Southern-Quite likely the most storied program in 1AA the past 10 years.
                            Montana St.- Top 25 last year playoffs last 2 years beat the mighty Griz two years running.
                            Cal Poly-Beat 1A UTEP last year were in the top 25 for awhile.
                            NDSU-We know this team all too well , they will be loaded again next year.
                            Cal-Davis-They will almost definetly finish in the top 25 next year.
                            N. Colorado- Top 20 this year in the final poll in their first year in 1AA.
                            This schedule is going to test us right away, Coach Stig has to have those guys ready to play this fall. I CANT WAIT.

Comment

This is what the Collegian has

9/4   at UCD
                              9/11 vs Winona State
                              9/18 vs Western Oregon
                              9/25 at Montana State
                              10/2 at St. Mary's
                              10/9 vs NDSU
                              10/16 Open
                              10/23 TBD (Hobo Day)
                              10/30 at Georgia Southern
                              11/6 vs Augustana
                              11/13 at Cal Poly-SLO
                              11/20 at Nothern Colorado

I'm assuming the NDSU game is 10/9 (The Collegian has it as TBD),  I remember seeing on the bisonville board that they play Cal Poly-SLO on 10/23 so that only leaves 10/9 left to play NDSU.
                              Go State! Go State!

Comment

Working...
                              X