Clear All

• Vinatieri story in the Argus

The Argus has a story about Adam, here are some highlights:

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Mondayarticle4.shtml

For Vinatieri, last year's big kick a thing of the past
    The Associated Press

published: 8/2/2004

Patriots kicker only thinking ahead

FOXBORO, Mass. - His heroics in two Super Bowls will always be a part of sports lore, but Adam Vinatieri refuses to dwell in the past.

The New England Patriots' place-kicker knows that he's only as good as his last kick - but that last kick was something else.

"You can build some confidence from it," Vinatieri said of his 41-yard field goal with four seconds remaining in the Patriots' 32-29 victory over the Carolina Panthers in Super Bowl XXXVIII. "But every kick is different and every situation is different, and good, bad or indifferent, you have to put the last one behind you and focus on the next one. . . .

Entering his ninth NFL season, all with the Patriots, Vinatieri has amassed 917 career points, all but two by kicks. He also has two Super Bowl-winning kicks, last season's kick and his 48-yarder as time expired in a 20-17 victory over the St. Louis Rams in Super Bowl XXXVI, among his 17 career game-winners.

The South Dakota State product struggled silently through most of last season with a sore back, which contributed to his career-high nine missed field goal attempts. But he said his back feels fine entering this training camp, and that good health should allow him the opportunity to start reaching some career goals - among them, the team scoring record of 1,130 points held by original Patriot Gino Cappelletti. . . .

A possible impediment to Vinatieri's assault upon Cappelletti's record is his contract status. He signed a three-year, $5.6 million pact in March 2002, much of the money guaranteed, and as he enters the contract's final year, he hopes will be rewarded for what he has accomplished.

"New England's great," he said. "I would love to stay here my entire career if I can, but it's something that they've got to want, and hopefully we'll get that done."

Good luck to Adam and Go State! ;D

Working...
X