Georgia Southern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Georgia Southern

Here is a good story and history lesson on one of our I-AA opponents for this coming fall, Georgia Southern:

http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?arti...Pq7S0XbUu0INQV

GSU opens their season by playing the Georgia Bulldogs.  Should be a good test for our Jackrabbits!

Go State!

Re: Georgia Southern

This article is basically useless.

Coulson puts way too much emphasis on the fact that Rusty is Erk's son. His other son, Jay, coached here too, but there was nothing said when he was 'let go'. The entire family is made of football coaches, so they all know how the coaching game is played.

What he didn't say was that more fans and boosters were probably in favor of Sewak getting the HC job over Rusty. Our bread and butter is our unique offense, and Sewak is a master of the Triple Option.

Another fact that Coulson isn't aware of is that when Rusty ran his own show on defense, we were horrible. Our two worst defensive years were in 1998 and 2003, years in which Russell was in total control of the defense. Rusty came within a fraction of an inch of being fired after the 1998 season. Instead, our Head coach at the time, Paul Johnson, told Rusty what defensive schemes to run. From 1999 to 2002, our defenses ranged from good enough to very good, so there was no real need for change. Russell was given free range to run his defense in 2003. Again, disaster occurred.

Although I like Rusty, it was best for the team for him to go. His scheme does not fit with the type of players we have. So much so even the players realize it(another point Coulson isn't aware of).

Thanks for letting me rant about this on your board, and I am looking forward to your trip to Statesboro next season. Hopefully it will be an experience the fans who make the trip won't forget.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglemania
      ...Coulson puts way too much emphasis on the fact that Rusty is Erk's son...What he didn't say was that more fans and boosters were probably in favor of Sewak getting the HC job over Rusty...Another fact that Coulson isn't aware of is that when Rusty ran his own show on defense, we were horrible...Although I like Rusty, it was best for the team for him to go. His scheme does not fit with the type of players we have. So much so even the players realize it (another point Coulson isn't aware of)...
      Coulson has been covering the SoCon since GaSU became a member. I think he knows what people in the field are saying. Maybe it is not the same as "fans and boosters" spout but it is valid just the same.

Comment

I thought that GSU had a better program, but it looks to be heading south with all this in-fighting going on.  No wonder that Pate came north to apply for a job at Southwest Minneosota. He must be looking for a way to get out of the crossfire.

It took me a couple of readings to fully understand what this is all about, but I thought we were nuts to get GSU the first season in the provisional period, but maybe not if not everyone is happy within the coaching ranks.

Also get a load of Siena and that conference, who often appear on ESPN for basketball.  Football is just a hobby sport in that conference.  SDSU probably puts more money in our hockey club sport then these schools put in their football program.

Comment

The Eagles are apt to be a huge test for us the first year down in GA in '04, but it will be a measuring stick for us.  Hopefully in '05 with more scholarships in place and a year under our belt (and a cold day in Brookings) we will do a little better.  I am glad we have GSU on our schedule, if you want to be the best you have to play (and beat) the best.  There is no doubt that the Eagles have been the best and I am sure they will have their act together.

Go Jacks!

Comment

89Rabbit:
            I revised my first posting as you can see. Yes I guess this thread has a purpose.  Thanks for picking up on it and bringing it here and we seem to have gotten some others from D1AA looking here which is good.

Comment

ralph,
              what people in the 'field' are saying is the trash you find on the internet. I know what the players and coaches inside the program are saying, and they are sick and tired of all the rumormongering they see all over the internet. From their perspective, it's giving them more motivation to prove Coulson and the other 'experts' just how wrong they are, so you and the rest of the crew at I-AA.org please keep it up. ;D

SDSUfan,
              Looks can be deceiving. The coaches know where they stand, as do the players. The so-called in-fighting problem has been resolved. Although there was a rift with Sewak and Russell, the bulk of the problems rested with another assistant who was also shown the door. Rusty and Sewak's problems were mostly philosophical differences in coaching, the other assistant(special teams coach) was going behind Sewak's back and trying to undermine his authority.

You are partly right where Pate is concerned...but I need to explain the situtation first.
              Sewak told Russell at the end of the season(in November) that he wouldn't be retained for 2004, but instead of immediately announcing the change, they decided to wait until after the American Football Coaches Association meetings that were held in early January in hopes Russell could find a new job and save him from being "fired". Pretty nice gesture, if you ask me, for two people who are supposed to be so violently in-fighting.
              Anyway, Coach Pate felt he was in limbo because of the changes and decided he might need to cover all his bases just in case he wasn't retained by the new DC. He was in fact retained by our new DC, and felt comfortable enough with his situation at GSU to turn down the SMSU job.

Don't worry, we will be ready for UGA on 9/4 and SDSU on 10/30 and everyone else in between and everyone after. I have a feeling that 2004 will be a special year.

--cheers--

Comment

ralph,
                what people in the 'field' are saying is the trash you find on the internet. I know what the players and coaches inside the program are saying, and they are sick and tired of all the rumormongering they see all over the internet. From their perspective, it's giving them more motivation to prove Coulson and the other 'experts' just how wrong they are, so you and the rest of the crew at I-AA.org please keep it up. ;D

SDSUfan,
                Looks can be deceiving. The coaches know where they stand, as do the players. The so-called in-fighting problem has been resolved. Although there was a rift with Sewak and Russell, the bulk of the problems rested with another assistant who was also shown the door. Rusty and Sewak's problems were mostly philosophical differences in coaching, the other assistant(special teams coach) was going behind Sewak's back and trying to undermine his authority.

You are partly right where Pate is concerned...but I need to explain the situtation first.
                Sewak told Russell at the end of the season(in November) that he wouldn't be retained for 2004, but instead of immediately announcing the change, they decided to wait until after the American Football Coaches Association meetings that were held in early January in hopes Russell could find a new job and save him from being "fired". Pretty nice gesture, if you ask me, for two people who are supposed to be so violently in-fighting.
                Anyway, Coach Pate felt he was in limbo because of the changes and decided he might need to cover all his bases just in case he wasn't retained by the new DC. He was in fact retained by our new DC, and felt comfortable enough with his situation at GSU to turn down the SMSU job.

Don't worry, we will be ready for UGA on 9/4 and SDSU on 10/30 and everyone else in between and everyone after. I have a feeling that 2004 will be a special year.

--cheers--
                How do we know Pate got an offer?  I think Alumguy has done a good case of questioning that offer. How do you know I did not get an offer at SMSU and I turned it down 8) : :-/

Comment

ralph,
                  what people in the 'field' are saying is the trash you find on the internet. I know what the players and coaches inside the program are saying, and they are sick and tired of all the rumormongering they see all over the internet...
                  Eaglemania,
                  Everyone in the 'field' knows Coulson and knows it is not "trash." The SoCon is not SICK or TIRED, just poised ... fear 2004 ...

Comment

Interesting story coming out of Statesboro:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/cgi-...mp;thread=3583

For those interested in our opponenets for this coming fall.

Go State!

Comment

You can also go visit the folks it effects most, the Eagle nation.  Here is a link to GSU board, and the thread they started about this story and issue. It is 7 pages long already, it started today. This topic is RED HOT!

http://www.southern-connection.com/p...a5e921ea72d2d3

Go State!

Comment

ONE BAD 7-4 year and our program is falling apart. This will require a** whippings for all that doubt or football prowls.
                        Georgia Southern Football - Out weighed, but seldom outplayed
                        www.gsufans.com

Comment

First thing, please don't refer to us as "Eagle Nation." this has already been adopted by the gerogia bulldogs and I don't want any connection with those scum. Next thing, it's true many of us are concerned about this situation, however, wit adds a little excitement to the upcoming year. People are starting to write us off as has-beens, which is a mistake. This puts us in an unusual position of being able to sneak up on folks.

GO EAGLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

Comment

As you can see from the below link, last year was an exception... not the rule.  We have down seasons here and there.  These luls last a year... maybe two.

http://michigan-football.com/ncaa/f/gasouth.htm

SDSUFAN...You oughta be a little more respectful of the greatest team I-AA has ever produced.

Comment

Working...
                            X