San Jose St. to drop football?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Jose St. to drop football?

Maybe this is old news but here goes. It appears the FB program at San Jose St. is in jeapordy.

This may have implications for SDSU. SJ St. is a member of the WAC and if they dropped football or moved down from the IA ranks I assume they would be dropped from the WAC opening spot for a current DIAA team to move up (Sac St.?). The other question would pertain to their eventual new conference. Would the BSC be interested?

San Jose St. program in jeapordy?
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: San Jose St. to drop football?

Glad to see you changed your picture! I was just getting ready to let you have it! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I figured you were just making some sort of a protest since we all know you live in Minnesota and can not vote in South Dakota this fall. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

As you stated earlier (I believe) we should keep politics off this board. We get enough through the other medias.

Keep up the good work! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Comment

Luv started it! Sorry for taking it too far. You are correct, I will not be voting in S.D. (as far as you know ;D ) No more politics from me.

Back on topic. Is this old news? If not what are the possible implications if any? Thanks.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

No this is VERY fresh news. Getting yet another President throws a wrench into everything at SJSU. SJSU has been talking about the future of their program for some time. They could stay where they are, move down to I-AA, drop football. Options 1 and 3 are the most likely.

If SJSU dropped football they could be the WAC's non-football playing member and Denver would be back in the Mid-Con Mix (not saying that Denver is even the front runner, it is just a rumor I hear) or the WAC might kick them out. This could open the door for SAC-State or even UC-Davis. If Sac left that would force the BSC to move more quickly. If UC-Davis left we would need to find a replacement for the GWFC.

The only way I see this hurting SDSU in anyway is if SJSU moved down to I-AA and the BSC only added one member and the WAC replaced them with someone other then a BSC member. This is highly unlikely given what I have read coming out of San Jose. They will drop football before they drop down to I-AA.

I personally think that SJSU will find a way to keep its football program. However a new President will be a big factor.

Go State!

Comment

My 0.02?

When their president resigned due to "health reasons", that was, to me, the final nail in SJSU's football coffin. He was the Spartans best hope to keeping the program afloat.

Personally, I want the WAC to fail so that three best schools (Boise, Fresno, & Hawaii) will bolt for the MWC and allow the MWC the best opportunity (sp?) to get a BCS invitation per year.

Comment

Another article about the SJ St FB situation. Rather long but many interesting comments. Seems if they drop football they would likely be forced to drop to DII status for lack of men's sports. Obviously, they would then be out of the WAC. If they added a different men's sport they would still likely leave the WAC for the Big West (non-football). Here is a link to the article for those interested.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...NJOSESTATE.TMP

What the students want:

Yu's departure put the process on hold, which should relieve some of the pressure on coach Fitz Hill to feel he has to win this season to save the program. A week ago, Yu was in the process of putting together a task force to look at the athletic department and its funding.

That action showed he was taking seriously last spring's academic senate resolution, which suggested that general funding to the athletic department be cut and that San Jose State drop out of Division I-A and the Western Athletic Conference. The resolution was a symbolic gesture, but if enacted it would effectively kill off Spartans football as a major college sport.

Comment

Working...
            X