Chiefs sign Connot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chiefs sign Connot

The Kansas City Chiefs sign Jackrabbit Safety Scott Connot. Now maybe I can get filbert to stop rooting for the Denver Broncos.

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/We...yfeature.shtml

Chiefs sign SDSU safety
    Chris Solari
    csolari@argusleader.com

published: 4/28/2004

By Chris Solari

csolari@argusleader.com

The NFL Draft came and went for South Dakota State's Scott Connot without his name being called. Then came a bidding war.

Connot agreed to a free agent deal with the Kansas City Chiefs late Sunday night, the second Jackrabbit to latch on with an NFL team.

"I think I'll fit in great," said Connot, who leaves Thursday for Kansas City. "(The Chiefs) are confident in my abilities, as am I. I'm ready to go prove myself."

SDSU offensive lineman Andy Wagstrom signed with the Miami Dolphins on Monday.

"To get a shot at that level of football is, like Wags said, a dream come true," SDSU coach John Stiegelmeier said. "Now that they've got the chance, it's in their court."

Connot said both the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Chiefs called about his services . . .

"(The Chiefs) told me they were looking to pick a safety in the draft and had other priorities and that I was the first person they called," Connot said. "They're looking for someone who can come in, play special teams and fill their safety needs.

"I think I'll fit in great."

At 6-foot-3 and 210 pounds, Connot led the Jacks with 94 tackles in 2003 from his safety spot. He was named first-team all-North Central Conference and to the Daktronics all-Midwest region squad.

The Spencer, Neb., native started every game for SDSU the last two seasons. He had 234 career tackles (142 solo), and eight interceptions.

Connot earned a prestigious NCAA postgraduate scholarship in March - one of 29 male athletes honored.

Go State!

Go Chiefs!

Re: Chiefs sign Connot

More stories, this time from the Kansas City Star:

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...8535714.htm?1c

Chiefs sign 11 rookie free agents

By IVAN CARTER The Kansas City Star

The Chiefs filled out their roster Tuesday with the signing of 11 undrafted rookie free agents.

The list is headlined by former University of Tennessee quarterback Casey Clausen, whom the Chiefs had previously said they would sign. Clausen went undrafted despite finishing his career as Tennessee's second all-time leading passer behind only Peyton Manning. . . .

Other undrafted free agents signed include safety Scott Connot (South Dakota State), wide receiver Zach Fletcher (Alabama), wide receiver Travis Garvin (West Virginia), cornerback Marvin Jackson (Chadron State), offensive guard Matt Miller (Louisiana College), cornerback Benny Sapp (Northern Iowa), linebacker Rich Scanlon (Syracuse), center Jonathan Smith (Washington State) and cornerback Sean Weston (Texas A&M).

Since the NFL recently expanded the practice-squad limit from five players to eight players, this season's class of undrafted rookies will stand a better chance of sticking with a team than past classes. . . .

Go State!

Go Chiefs!

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
      The Kansas City Chiefs sign Jackrabbit Safety Scott Connot.  Now maybe I can get filbert to stop rooting for the Denver Broncos.  
      One day at a time...my girlfriend got me a Chiefs polo shirt and sweatshirt, so it's coming along. As long as the Chefs (sic) aren't playing the Broncs, I'm OK, but I've been rooting for Orange and Blue for a long, long time.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Here is a link to the Chief web site:

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news_article...9HFRAUG79ESTIN

S Scott Connot (6-3, 216) was a three-year starter at free safety for . . .South Dakota State, appearing in 34 games. The Spencer, Nebraska native led the team in tackles his final two seasons with the Jackrabbits, finishing his career with 234 total tackles (142 solo), with 7.5 coming behind the line of scrimmage, along with 1.0 sack, 18 pass defensed and eight interceptions. Connot was a two-way star at Spencer-Naper High School, racking up 266 tackles on defense, while totaling 2,336 yards passing and 2,254 yards rushing on offense.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/player_roster_alphabetical.asp

Go State!

Go Chiefs!

Comment

I was driving to Downtown KC yesterday morning and listening to the Freak Show (that is what they call their morning drive show) on Sports Talk WHB 810 am, Americas largest all sports station, when John Renshaw started talking about the Chiefs Mini-camp that he had been to the day before. He went on to talk about Scott and a fantastic interception that he made.  He talked about Scott being a rookie and that he was from South Dakota State.   It was very cool for me to hear.  8)

http://www.810whb.com/shows/default.asp?id=wn

Way to go Scott, I will keep eveyone up to date on Scott and his progress with the Chiefs.

Go Jackrabbits!

Go Chiefs!

Comment

Aw, geez, don't tell me I have to start listening to WHB...I'm a KMBZ guy myself..."home of the Jayhawks"
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Naw, you listen to KMBZ, I will listen to WHB and that way we won't miss any talk about our Jackrabbits. You might have to listen the week that the Jacks take on the Roos. WHB is the voice of UMKC and they should be talking about us before the game.

Go State!

Comment

This is good news for SDSU and Steve and his family. If he can survive the roster cuts this fall, he could be playing for a long time. I think they must really like his work ethic to give him this chance. Good Luck Steve.

SDSU chances of being represented in the NFL has taken kind of unexpected route this year. I dont think Connot, Wagstrom or Ben Studer where highly regarded as having a chance. Coach Stig said last Saturday that he felt bad for Ben Studer as he thought Ben had gotten the most attention from scouts and he more or less was released by the Chicago Bears, while Wags and Connot still seem to have a legimate chance to be playing in the NFL. You would hope that Studer would get another chance with another franchise and maybe that will happen.

Any way you look at it, work ethics seem to really make a difference. I say any player from the SDSU and the NCC have had to work their way on the roster. There have been no gifts.

Comment

I believe you mean good luck to Scott. ;D
                  "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Just got done watching the Chief's pre-season game against the Giants.  I got to watch Scott play. Pretty cool.  I was flipping between the Olympics and the game, not much to report other then he played.  Good luck Scott hope you make the team.

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Scott was sitting pretty low on the depth charts. Last week a player in front of him got hurt and he moved up to the #3 safety spot and is seeing more reps. He is also #2 on most special teams.

Comment

Working...
                      X