EWU checking in...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EWU checking in...

Thought I would come over and say a hopefully, "Welcome to the Big Sky". After talking with several athletic personnel at Eastern Washington there's a sense that both you guys and NDSU will be in come Spring. The support for athletics is definitely there and the level of competition will be there if not already(especially with the increase in Football scholarships). I enjoy seeing the support for BB and am somewhat envious. EWU has really turned the corner promoting athletics and has a great outlook on the future of the BSC and the addition of the two Flagship Universities of the Dakotas can only enhance it...Off to watch EWU practice this afternoon and a side benefit is being able to watch the Seattle Seahawks practice on the adjacent fields as this is their training site...Good luck this season, I'll be a watching!

Re: EWU checking in...

GOEWU,

Welcome to the board, and thanks for the hopeful words of welcome.  As you obviously saw SDSU is more of a Basketball school, be we are looking forward to taking our football program to the next level.  Congratulations on your men's basketball team making the "Big Dance" last year that makes us jealous. I also hear your stadium project is going well.  Looking forward to meeting the Eagles someday soon!

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Here is a link to EWU's stadium project.  The video (link on the right side of the screen) is pretty cool.

http://athletics.ewu.edu/02-03News/03atapr15.html

Comment

Welcome GOEWU:
        Been through Spokane and Cheney, but had not had time to stop.  I assume you are the same person who posted over on Bisonville.   Over on Bisonville you made the following comment:

"What the scuttlebutt is(at EWU) floating around is that NDSU & SDSU will be invited for a number of reasons. 1) Sac State will be gone soon enough(nothing in stone). 2) Portland State will more than likely stay in the BSC which would give the BSC 10 members then 9...perfect. 3) EWU is  Mens/Womens BB and Football orientated. This is evident with success and facilities upgrades currently in effect. NDSU & SDSU kinda along the same lines as far as emphasis goes so the common theme is a gimme. There are several others but I didn't mean for this post to be so long...Good luck this season!"

This is good news but what is going on at Sac State?
        The new president has spoken out of both sides of the mouth in terms of athletics. Sometimes the signal is they will cut and then they start talking about upgrading their facilities. If you can give your perspective and how this sets with the Montana's, Idaho State, Northern Arizonia etc. In other words would Sac State's membership in the BSC  be put on notice?

Also I know this is real old but I read the NCAA sanction report on Cal State Northridge and they had a coaching staff that broke every rule in the book and fortunately they resigned their membership in the BSC.  I understand the BSC had been on Northridge's case to up grade their football facility, as this was a condition for membership in the BSC.

So from their experience, I can see that SDSU will have to upgrade Coughlin for sure and maintain the facilities in a respectable manner in order to be in good standing.  I dont see that as a hurdle, but an incentive to get something done that has been talked about for a long time. Coughlin was built in 1962 and the MSU and UM have played their once before at least. It just has had very few changes since 1962. Its a long story, but right now the biggest need is adequate dressing rooms.

Comment

I have to jump in here.  SDSUFAN you have touched on one of my pet peeves and that is the notion that somehow Coughlin is a run down facility that we should be embarrassed of.  Could it use some improvements?  Sure.  Do I want a permanent structure on the East side? Yes.  Should that permanent structure have seat backs, new locker rooms, and sky boxes? You bet.  Do I want new scoreboards with video boards? Yes.  If we don't get them today is it a horrible stadium? No.

Did anyone watch the EWU video?  If so you probably noticed that Woodward Field looks a lot like a smaller Coughlin-Alumni.  Not a surprise since they were both built in the '60s.  SDSUFAN, I know you didn't mean it this way but your post makes it sound like SDSU and CS-Northridge would be in the same boat, we will let you in but . . .  

I guess all I am saying is, I like most think that Coughlin should be upgraded, but dosen't have to be upgraded to be an ok I-AA stadium.  We here at State strive for more then ok and that is wonderful.  So by our standards it needs to be a priority.  It will also help our team step up to the next level.  Again I encourage you to watch the EWU video and pay attention to how important the stadium is for recruiting.  So lets work to improve it without running it down in the process.  I will now leave my soap box.  

Go State!  ;D

Comment

89rabbit

I was not running down Coughlin, I was pointing out the fact that something will have to be done. You know that I know that. Should we be hiding this fact from the EWU fans?  I dont know why it is that is a negative. We all know it, and frankly what happens out in Cheney is their business. Whether I watch video is not material.

No way would Cal Northridge and SDSU would be in the same boat.  Northridge had a staduim that seated about 5000 and that was what had to be upgraded. If the NCAA had not step in with their investigation, the facility would have become an issue with their continuence of membership.  The coach at Northridge help the presidents of the BSC from taking action by accepting tons of shoes from Nike and others, and then turning around and selling the shoes. There were so many other infractionss too.  This coach ethically was about 180 degrees from Stiglemeier.  

There used to be a Big Sky board that included everyone in the Big Sky.  This board has since disappeared, but all the other BSC fans brought this up and thats how I know about it.  
            I not saying that at all.

If and when the BSC touring committee comes to Brookings will they find an eyesore?

Hardly, but I am sure they will see what does need to be fixed and facility wise, Coughlin would probably be the only thing that might be conditioned and I really can't put thoughts and words in the mouth of those that
            that might be on that committee.  I sure the adminstration will handle that problem when it needs to be addressed. What I say on this board has little consequences one way or another. :-[

Comment

My point is something should be done.  I don't think something HAS to be done, that is my opinion.  If you think something HAS to be done, well then fair enough.  Not sure how my role as moderator affects my opinion that Coughlin is an OK stadium as compared to many, if not most, in I-AA but agian your opinion, so fair enough.

I will challenge you to do some research to back up your opinion.  That is from one poster to another.  The first link is of Tony's making the second one has pictures.

My findings show that of the 123 schools that play I-AA football 72 schools built their stadium in the 1960s or earlier (One was built in the 19th Century), and that 77 of the I-AA schools have stadiums smaller then Coughlin-Alumni.  

http://www.diaafootball.com/stadiumsbyname.html

http://eteamz.active.com/I-AAfootball/locations/

By the way CSU Northridge's Stadium, North Campus Stadium (great name, huh),  was built in 1971 and held 6,500.  So a little less then 10 years newer and a little less then 10,000 seats smaller.  Still not sure I see your comparison.

Comment

If there is any comparison, its that membership in the BSC might require facelifts as was required by Cal Northwridge and that all I was comparing. Nothing more.

I suspect there has been pressure on EWU to upgrade their facilities as well, but they have found a way to do that.

The Big Sky could be more demanding then what we are used to and thats all I am suggesting.

I guess I did not make myself clear and sometimes I wonder why I am wasting all my time here.

Comment

SDSUFAN,

You and I don't see eye to eye on this one.  Nothing wrong with that.  I stated what I think you stated what you think.  No big deal, we are still friends.   We both love SDSU and that is what is important.  ;D

89rabbit

Comment

89 rabbit:
                    I guess I am sitting on a burr today and yes we are still friends and both care about SDSU very much. ;D

Maybe I did not understand what you are saying about about seating capacity. No question Coughlin does have adequate seating in numbers. An not doubt SDSU does have much more than some of the D1AA current members. No arguement there. ;D

I think the appearence of Coughlin leaves a lot to be desired. Its like selling my house. I got some 1970's shag carpet, that looks horrible. I been told by the real estate people that fixing the things that people see first when looking at your house is important. So guess what I have a 3500 dollar contract in the works for complete carpet and vinyl replacement. Its going to help sell my house and since you are in the sales field, you should not have any problem understanding that part.
                    The appearence of Coughlin may be a sales problem.

If at least one AD is on this committee, they are going to pick up on our dinky dressing room right way. I hope we are closer on what we want to do to fix Coughlin by the spring of 2005. We need to have some sort of plan for update and fixing the deficiencies.

At least these points I have tried to make.

I think in saying that I am several jumps ahead of what the BSC has yet to do. So what the EWU fan has told us is encouraging. I think our adminstration will be ready for the BSC people. If we have to do anything to Coughlin, you can bet a plan will assemble in a hurry.

Comment

I have to agree with SDSUFan on this, as you may have guessed by my previous posts. I also don't understand why whenever the appearance of coughlin is questioned or compared to another stadium the return argument is always, but it seats 16,000, so its better. The seating has nothing to do with how good or bad a stadium is, only at what level your fb team is going to compete. I think that SDSU's 16,000 is good for D-IAA. I really don't understand where this argument comes from. If it will prove anything to you, tommorrow I will donate $20,000 and have 4000 highschool bleacher seats installed on the field, and then we can tell NDSU fans that we have a better stadium because we seat 1000 more than them. Coughlin does need a major facelift, but inlight of the recent comments from the big sky officials my recent rantings on the the other thread may have been a little overboard, and I'm now pretty sure that they will accept us into the conference, and give us more time to update our football facility, as well as give NDSU time to work on the BSA.

For improvements I think coughlin will need about 10-15 million to be an above average to excellent facility for D-IAA. Here's what I would like to see, in this order if it is done in phases.

1. New Locker rooms (1-2 million)
                      2. Scoreboards/ Video screens (2-3 million)
                      3. Facelift to current grandstands, chair back seating etc. (250,000 -500,000)
                      4. New press box, Suites added to current grandstands (3-4 million)
                      5. Field turf ( 2-3 million)
                      5. Permanent seating on bleacher side of stadium (4- 5 million).

I know that a lot of this will be a ways away, but I think if that kind of investment was made, it would start paying BIG dividens in terms of where we want the school to go in the future. With this kind of facility we would be able to get some of the best talent available for our team, (and would be poised for a move to D-IA if the big sky decides thats where it wants to go in 10-15 years). With this we could "capture" the sioux falls market, and start having much better averages, and income, from football. After all, if SF can sell out the arena for the NIFL football championships, I think we could get pretty decent crowds, with the addition of the students, if the team had a chance at a big sky title.

Comment

Let us not fall into the flawed thinking that USD is following:

Great teams fill the stands!

Would you rather play for (and watch) a great team with marginal facilities or a marginal team with great facilities?

We need to fully fund the maximum number of scholarships as quickly as possible for all sports.

Once the current facilities are packed out regularly, then you can expand and upgrade and have the money to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by JBNJBQ
                          Let us not fall into the flawed thinking that USD is following:

Great teams fill the stands!

Would you rather play for (and watch) a great team with marginal facilities or a marginal team with great facilities?

We need to fully fund the maximum number of scholarships as quickly as possible for all sports.

Once the current facilities are packed out regularly, then you can expand and upgrade and have the money to do it.
                          I am lost here. What is flawed USD thinking?  I do agree that the scholarships are a priority, but at the same time the facilities could weigh in as something that may have to be addressed sooner than later.  After all, our goal is to find a conference, preferably the Big SKy. So we may have to shift priorities as this whole thing plays out.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN

What is flawed USD thinking?

Everything ;D ;D ;D

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN

I am lost here. What is flawed USD thinking?  I do agree that the scholarships are a priority, but at the same time the facilities could weigh in as something that may have to be addressed sooner than later.  After all, our goal is to find a conference, preferably the Big SKy. So we may have to shift priorities as this whole thing plays out.
                              1. Flawed USD thinking= USD dropping baseball while spending millions on facility and equipment upgrades.

2. Scholarships fully funded in all sports should always be our first priority. That is how we will be able to field winning teams at this level long term.

3. I agree we will need to upgrade all of our facilities and equipment eventually. That is an on going project. It is certainly easier to come up with the money to do that if the stands are full.

4. Winning teams fill the stands (at home and away) not fancy scoreboards or leather seat cushions.

Comment

Working...
                              X