Craig and Mike show live from Media Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craig and Mike show live from Media Day

Craig and Mike are doing their show from Brookings today.  Should be lots of Jacks talk since they are up there for Media day.  Listen from 3 PM to 5 PM CST.

http://www.kwsn.com/stream.php

Go State!  ;D

Re: Craig and Mike show live from Media Day

Listening to the Craig and Mike show...very interesting.....they are doing a very good job ....

Go Jacks !!!!!!
    http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

Craig and Mike are talking to Aaron. The USC Trojans women's basketball team is coming to Frost in either '05-'06 or '06-'07 Wow!

Go State! ;D

Comment

Coach Stig on with Craig and Mike. New Uniforms for this season (who has pictures?), Stig said we will pick up 4 scholarships a year until we are fully funded in 2011. Unless we get in the Big Sky, Coach Stig seems to think there is a rule that you must have 60. He is very excited to get to 60 because he wants to start playing the Big Boys of I-A.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Reggie and Baseball was up next.  Some of the schools that Reggie said we are playing in '05 are Kansas, Kansas St. and Notre Dame.  He is working on a deal that would bring Creighton to Sioux Falls for a pair of games.  

Working on getting University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee, Creighton, and Kansas on our home schedule for '06.

Go State!  ;D

Comment

They started the show with Dr. Oien, I missed this part because of a phone call (stupid job ). I took it from the close out of the show that they talked about New baseball and softball fields, North of Coughlin. All in all it was a good show. Thanks guys.

Go State! ;D

Comment

A I-AA team must average 60 scholarships over three years for the game to count towards bowl eligibility for the I-A school.

I'm a little disappointed the Jacks aren't ramping up their scholies faster. :-/

Any word on other sports scholarship levels?

Comment

I recorded the show for future reference. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Comment

Originally posted by bisonguy

A I-AA team must average 60 scholarships over three years for the game to count towards bowl eligibility for the I-A school.

I'm a little disappointed the Jacks aren't  ramping up their scholies faster.  :-/

Any word on other sports scholarship levels?
                  bisonguy,

I am a little disappointed that we are not ramping up faster, but I understand it.  We have a whole thread dedicated to scholarships.  

http://diaafootball.com/cgi-bin/yabb...num=1082668219

Perhaps if the fund raising, which is going very well from reports made, goes better then expected we could step it up faster.  Or if we get into the Big Sky we may need to re-adjust our plan.  The last post of the tread is a story from the Argus that I think does a great job of explaining why we are doing what we are doing.

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                    They started the show with Dr. Oien, I missed this part because of a phone call (stupid job   ).  I took it from the close out of the show that they talked about  New baseball and softball fields, North of Coughlin.  All in all it was a good show.  Thanks guys.

Go State!  ;D

Dr. Oien said:

1. First meetings about going D-I were 5 years ago in Fargo. All NCC teams were represented. Doug Fullerton was asked by NDSU to speak to the schools.

2. Sid Bostic is giving one week per month to the fund raising effort. We are about 40% of the $20 million goal.

3. We can go from a max. 36 in D-II to a max. of 63 spread amongst 85 players in D-IAA.

4. Because of title IX compliance considerations, only two football scholarships were added this year.

5. 14 women's scholarships were also added this year.

6. We will be at 63 by the time we attain full fledged membership in the conference. They felt it made more sense to spread the scholarships out over the years rather than use them all in one year.

7. About to sign off on the new softball stadium on campus. Grade work will begin this fall. Will let the ground settle for a year. Will be completed by 2007.

8. New soccer practice facility is also a part of that plan.

9. Almost ready to practice on the new baseball field.
                    fencing will be added this fall.

10. Will be looking at the football locker rooms next. Those are not a D-I issue, just something that needed to be done.

11. All the new developement will be located north of the football field.

12. Performing Arts Center will be expanded eventually. A persidium theater will be added next. Allows for true theater performances.

13. $2 million of the $20 million goal is for existing facility renovations and title IX compliance issues. New facilities are not included.

14. We have sent a letter of inteterst to the Big Sky Conference. We await their questionaire. A campus visit will follow hopefully.

15. What we bring to a conference? We bring a State Name, a stable insitution, we have been there,we have proven our worth. We are a Land Grant School. we are a state wide institution, with a lot of support.

16. We will continue to talk to all conferences.

Comment

Here is a link to the SDSU website with a audio of Stig's comments and a typed summary.  The spring football prospectus is also linked (pdf) at the bottom.

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/Va...look/Index.cfm

Sounds like special teams may be a major weak spot with the exception of punter. I was afraid of this. A solid placekicker and punt/kick return man can give a team a huge advantage and vice versa. I hope someone steps in to fill these voids.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I hope that the alumni put a little heat on the SDSU administration to ramp those scholies up quicker too. I think that if you do that it will be huge in development of a high quality FB program at SDSU.

Comment

Hi folks. A couple of quick notes concerning some posts here. I will write more later.

You can't ramp up those football scholarships any faster without dealing with Title 9, unless you drop men's programs. This is what many people in the state think will happen. The even money is on wrestling and baseball.

For 2 years we have heard about the improvements in the training facilities and locker rooms that are on the way. Now that is being "looked at". Fred said it is not a Division 1 issue. Carr and Associates said it was, and Fred agreed with them at that time.

There is no way to possibly implement 25 football scholarships in the short amount of time the BSC wants it done in order to gain entry into the conference. I take that back. There is no easy way that keep other programs safe.

Thanks for listening! Please continue this discussion amongst yourselves in case I am missing a big point here.

Comment

Mike,

What roles do the Women's equestrian program, the new Wellness Center, and the new facilities being built North of Coughlin play in the minds of the many people in the state that think we will have to drop some men's programs? Just because USD chose to drop baseball because of the Title IX law suit, that they lost, does not mean that this is the correct or only course of action for the other schools in the state to take.

Correct me if I am wrong but I seem to recall that DSU and Black Hills State followed the SDSU model of expanding opportunities for Women rather then constricting opportunites for men to meet Title IX requirments.

I believe that there is enough flexibility in our plan to meet the needs of the Big Sky, if this becomes an issue. We will find a way to make it work. Call me an optimist, because I am. It is a much happier way to live ones life and it works for me. ;D

Go State!

P.S. are these the same "many people" that didn't think we had a shot at joining the Big Sky.

Comment

I agree you are an optomist ! That is one of your more endearing qualities!

Here is their point. 40% of the way is not all the waywhen it comes to fundraising. The equestrian progam is not in place yet. Money spent on expanding programs has come at the expense of the Wellness Center that would benefit all students at the University, in addition to being a large step towards establishing a quality football program to compete at the next level. New locker rooms facilities, which recruits have been told for the last two years "will be done by the time you are an upperclassman", are still nowhere to be seen. No one is in the "Big Sky", or any other conference, yet. How long does it take to build a softball or baseball stadium? If you have the money, not very long. When did building these things on campus become a priority? Are they being built with money that could have gone toward the Wellness Center or locker rooms?

DSU and Black Hills both also limited their male numbers participating in a couple of sports, and DSU dropped mens golf last week.

I find it interesting that you guys on this board do not want to be compared to USD, and yet YOU GUYS keep bringing them up to illustrate a point when it suits you.

This is not about what USD chose to do. This is about SDSU spending money. If you want to look at other programs for comparison, no problem. We'll pick some local ones. Univerity Of Nebraska: National titles in men's gymnastics before they were forced to drop the program. Iowa State: Men's baseball, gone due to Title 9 issues. A coalition of former college wrestling coaches sued because college wrestling programs across the country have gone away due to Title 9.

I have talked with eight different people about this in the last few hours, and these are some of their questions following yesterday's show. 4 of them were State grads. I told them I would turn to you guys for answers! I'll check back later.

Comment

Working...
                              X