Sagarin Football ratings out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sagarin Football ratings out

I was reading the USA Today this morning in my hotel room and the new Sagarin ratings were in it. The Sagarin ratings take all D-I football teams (I-A and I-AA) and rate them. It is kind of interesting.  

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt04.htm

Here are some schools of note.

102. NDSU 62.32
    110. Georgia Southern 60.36
    128. Montana State 56.94
    134. Northern Colorado 55.34
    136. UC-Davis 54.89
    148. Cal-Poly 52.27
    155. South Dakota State University 50.74
    159. Louisiana-Monroe (I-A) 49.56
    161. Yale 49.43
    162. Army (I-A) 49.36
    163. Sacramento State 49.33
    166. Buffalo (I-A) 49.01
    171. Southern 47.12
    176. Southern Utah 46.18

Very interesting.  NDSU did well.  

Go State!  ;D

Re: Sagarin Football ratings out

Thanks for the info 89rabbit.

The Great West is ranked 4th as a conference and SDSU is number 40 out of 122 at the D-iaa level. Not a bad place to start our first year.

Comment

These ratings are encouraging, but once the games are played, the ratings will have more meaning. I hope we can puts some big wins on the board.

I believe we will have our hand full with Winona State.  They seem to have more to gain by a win than we do. Of course the same could be said about SDSU when we play all the D1AA opponents.  

One Bison poster over on Bisonville said some thing to the affect that if the BSC left SDSU of of consideration for conference membership it would be okay with him as the " as the Rabbits Stink".  We need to prove this guy wrong.  

It makes you wonder how  Sagarin rates these teams. What data from prior seasons is fed to the computer?

Comment

Below is the online link for the Sagarin ratings. At the top of the football poll it gives a little insight in to how the ratings work. The data on line is more extensive than appears in the USA Today.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin.htm

You can also find Sagarin ratings for many other sports here. The ratings are updated daily for the on-line tables.

Comment

Also realize that Sagarin is not that great for I-AA ratings. He only measures D-I. While great for I-A it is decidedly deficient for I-AA. Check Massey for the best I-AA ratings...http://www.masseyratings.com/rate/cfIAA-m.htm.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
            These ratings are encouraging, but once the games are played, the ratings will have more meaning. I hope we can puts some big wins on the board.

I believe we will have our hand full with Winona State. They seem to have more to gain by a win than we do. Of course the same could be said about SDSU when we play all the D1AA opponents.

One Bison poster over on Bisonville said some thing to the affect that if the BSC left SDSU of of consideration for conference membership it would be okay with him as the " as the Rabbits Stink". We need to prove this guy wrong.

It makes you wonder how Sagarin rates these teams. What data from prior seasons is fed to the computer?

Frankly, even though I check out all the boards including football for information, I have very little interest in I-AA football, so I'd be fine with NDSU taking their football and running with the Montana schools. It's been my opinion all along that SDSU has to firstly consider whats best for it's basketball program, which may just be better off without stinky NDSU. I've also said that I've believed that the Big Sky is basketball purgatory. I half-wondered when some of those guys would start this kind of talk.

Comment

SoDak:

I could not disagree more.  Moving up to D1 is about all programs, not just football and basketball. Getting to the Big Dance will happen sooner in the Big Sky then any where else.  Once we are qualified and win three games, you are in the Big Dance as the Big Sky Conference Champion. You could do that with a 11 win season, simply because that team won the BSC tourney. You are their by virtue of automatic qualifier.  Its hardly a basketball purgratory.  The only draw back I see to the BSC is not having baseball and wrestling, but SDSU admin is working on finding conferences for those sports.  

Comment

Working...
              X