What it is really about

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What it is really about

I always thought this group was way to optimistic about things and didn't have to much of a realistic outlook. Therefore I will turn the tables on you a bit and be more positive when you are leaning toward the dark side.

I'm sitting in a hotel in Sacramento, not really a football fan but I wanted to see (what I consider) the first D1 contest, so I flew here and took my three kids.

We arrive an hour before the game just in time for pregame warm ups and my young son goes up to the SDSU players and asks them if they are Jackrabbits. He has always heard alot about thme but never saw one in real life. The players are GREAT with him(if I only brought my camera). My son was so distrought by the outcome in the first quarter that he wanted to go on the sidelines and coach the players (I guess any one at any age can be an arm chair quarterback) We left at half, it was to hot, the outcome evident, the adventure was coming to a close.

Things will take time, my adventure was expensive but the memories were priceless.

Its not always about winning and losing

Re: What it is really about

I absolutely agree. Still doesn't mean I won't feel pain when things go down like they did last night. However, there is a lot of pain when you lose like NDSU did also. End result, both teams are 0-1 in the GWC.

Its a new day, a new week, lets get ready for a good Winona St team.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Thanks Joe Jackrabbit. That's a nice reminder of what's important, even in DI athletics.

This is going to require patience, especially if SDSU is going to continue to recruit athletes who are also quality students and good people.

There are shortcuts a program could take. Some programs ignore the connection to the university and simply recruit and exploit athletes without making an effort to assure that they get the education they are promised in return. Those athletes play well, win, and fill the stands, but are allowed to flounder in academic purgatory, piling up just enough meaningless credits to keep them eligible, but never enough to graduate. Some schools accept 30 percent graduation rates from their football programs (the University of Oklahoma, for example). Some schools hope nobody will notice that one men's basketball player has graduated in seven years (OU... again). Those approaches undermine the academic reputation of the university, something none of us would want for SDSU, no matter how many wins we could get in return.

I am sure SDSU will eventually be competitive in all of its DI sports. More importantly, I know they will do it right. It will take time. As Joe Jackrabbit reminds us, wins are not the only measure of a successful athletic program.

Comment

I also agree. That is a great story. There are other things besides winning and loosing...except to the players right now. I'm willing to bet that they will be ready to take some anger out on Winona next week.

Comment

;D ;D
          Originally posted by Joe Jackrabbit
          I always thought this group was way to optimistic about things and didn't have to much of a realistic outlook.  Therefore I will turn the tables on you a bit and be more positive when you are leaning toward the dark side.

I'm sitting in a hotel in Sacramento, not really a football fan but I wanted to see (what I consider) the first D1 contest, so I flew here and took my three kids.

We arrive an hour before the game just in time for pregame warm ups and my young son goes up to the SDSU players and asks them if they are Jackrabbits. He has always heard alot about thme but never saw one in real life. The players are GREAT with him(if I only brought my camera).  My son was so distrought by the outcome in the first quarter that he wanted to go on the sidelines and coach the players (I guess any one at any age can be an arm chair quarterback)  We left at half, it was to hot, the outcome evident, the adventure was coming to a close.

Things will take time, my adventure was expensive but the memories were priceless.

Its not always about winning and losing
          Joe Jackrabbit:
          What a great post. I have been following the Jackrabbits since I was the age of your son.  I followed them through the Brookings Register until my family move from rural Brookings County to Brookings in 1953. I attended my first game without my Dad, who was Norwegian born and never experience the game, but love watching professional wrestling.
          I regret that my father was not a fan at the level you are and your son will remember this trip for the remainder of his life. ;D He will say thanks more than once for making this trip.

I think you are totally right in saying it will take time.  I think Coach Stig and staff were at a disadvantage in that this was the first game of the first season of D1AA football.  I think the staff recognized from film that they would have a mismatch in speed, especially on special teams.  You dont have five years to adapt with whats on the opponents film, but only try your best and adapt as best you can.

One of the great things that Coach Stig said in his post game show when asked by Jerry Oster what do you tell the team? Stig mentioned that he had about three examples he could think of but his thoughts were of the the 300 children in Chuznea or Russia. (My Geography spelling is horrible) Those kids will never have the opportunity to play football or any other sport.  I think that probably help put it in perspective too.

Sharing your experience with your family help perk this old bacholor up so am glad you checked in with your thoughts. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  Go Jacks and Lets beat Winona State.

Comment

Working...
          X