Bright new future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bright new future

Although the game didn't turn out the way we wanted, the good news is we have taken our first steps (all be it tentative) into D-I athletics.  Last night as I watched the Late ESPN game I saw our score come across the bottom of the screen.  Even though the game itself was a disaster it was still great to see our name (by the way San Diego State is SDSU and we are S D State on ESPN).

As we continue on our D-I adventure it is true that there will be some bumps in the road.  Some will want to focus on these bumps but we need to stay patiet.  We will get some wins and we will get better.  We have nowhere to go but up.  

I liked Chris' story and since the Argus dosen't archive beyond a week I will post some of the highlights.

http://www.argusleader.com/news/Sundayfeature.shtml

Jackrabbits make history
    Chris Solari
    Argus Leader

published: 9/5/2004

Welcome to the next level: SDSU begins its I-AA journey

DAVIS, Calif. - South Dakota State football players clicked their cleats in unison as they filed into the locker room, dripping fresh sweat from warm-ups in the searing California 93-degree sun.  .  .  .

With that, SDSU emerged from the shadows of Division II into a new arena, onto a new field to face a new and unknown enemy: Division I-AA football.

All week, Stiegelmeier and his players had treated this first game of the 2004 season, this debut in the new level and the Great West Football Conference, as no different than any other Saturday.

Toomey Stadium in Davis, Calif., provided an ideal backdrop for that philosophy. It is similar to McEneaney Field, much smaller than Howard Wood Field. The opponent, the University of California-Davis Aggies, aren't exactly strangers. They played twice in the 1990s.

Yet as the kickoff flew to Dusty Snyders of Larchwood, Iowa, on Saturday night, a new era began in South Dakota sports.  .  .  .

"It's going to be a big challenge for the Jacks to go up to Division I," said Ed Kamolz, a 1965 SDSU graduate who made the trip from his home in San Diego.

His old college roommate, Roy Stearns of Roseville, Calif., completed the thought: "It's going to take a while, I think, to step up to that challenge."

Before the opening kickoff landed in Snyders' hands, the team had focused on this historic game during a final week of preparation.  .  .  .

Let's put this one behind us and get ready for the home opener.  Hope to see many of you there.

Go State!  ;D

Working...
X