SDSU @ UCD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU @ UCD

Let's go guys- 5 days away until gametime and the most recent thread is on an NDSU game.

Here's the info on the new Aggie starting QB

http://www.davisenterprise.com/artic...ts/122spt0.txt

Football is here!

Re: SDSU @ UCD

First and only meeting in Davis . . . Final Score SDSU 17 - UC-Davis 7. It was Stig's first game as head coach. Here is to history repeating itself! ;D

Go State! 8)

Comment

Chris:
      I think most of SDSU fans are looking ahead to Basketball.  No offense to UCD, as I expect it will be a very tough game. As I said on the NDSU-Valpo thread, I would be happy with a 2-0 win even a 35-34 win. I can not vision a poor Aggie team or any kind of a blow out. The blow out could come our way, but maybe the fact that UCD is building towards 63 scholarships like SDSU gives us a chance.  Our schedule could only be arranged in a worse fashion by scheduling  Southern and Georgia Southern at the top of the schedule.

I see we are having a Pregame Rally for fans and alums at the Silo Pub, on the UCD campus.

Comment

I disagree. I don't think "most SDSU" fans are looking ahead to basketball. Who cares if we blow anyone out? We were MUCH bigger underdogs the first time we went out there and we won. These first few years won't be so much about wins and losses as it will be about building a quality program and creating an exciting sporting environment for SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit_FB_Alum
          I disagree.  I don't think "most SDSU" fans are looking ahead to basketball.  Who cares if we blow anyone out?  We were MUCH bigger underdogs the first time we went out there and we won.  These first few years won't be so much about wins and losses as it will be about building a quality program and creating an exciting sporting environment for SDSU.  
          Explain why there are 600 more posts in the basketball thread. The football posts are 2300 and change and the basketball are 2900 and change. The BB teams have not even began to practice yet there are more post about that sport being made. Also we seem to have a bunch of Football fans who come to Coughlin to watch the Pride Half time show. I think football is really at step child at SDSU. I really question if a quality football program will appear at SDSU given the past track record of the past 30 years. I know I sound like Big Jake, but I am tired of being the only person gives a hoot about the football program, that is not a former player, or a coach. If Football is important Rabbit Football Alum, start posting and telling us why its important.

Comment

In fighting won't get us anywhere. I think we all agree that FB has not taken precedent most recently. That will continue to change, gradually. Providing funding for scholarships will take precedent over further improvements at Coughlin.

I have never been as excited about a FB game as I am for the upcoming contest with Davis. Unfortunately, I will be on call that day so the webcast via WNAX will have to suffice. I think it is not unreasonable to expect the Jacks to win this game, I am. The Jacks have the advantage on offense and I think our defense will come out intense. As I have said before, I think a solid, experienced offense will beat a good offense early in the season. Davis will need a little time to "gel".

In the tradition of the "Bison"

SDSU 27
            UC-Davis 13
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I love and support Jacks football, and I am neither a former player nor coach. I do know how you feel SDSUFAN, I too have had my moments. Last year after the UND game comes to mind. > Stay hopeful, I think good things are coming our way!

Go State! ;D

Comment

jackmd:
                I am not trying to start in fighting here, but I am feed up with this acceptence of an average football program.  We have at the D2 level accepted 6-5 and 7-4 seasons as being okay.  If our basketball team goes, 17-10 two years in a row what would happen? Everyone that is a fan would scream bloody murder. Why is there this difference between the two sports?

Some have wondered why Kent Schmidt and Chris Kelly have picked SDSU last in the Great West polls.  I think both are influenced by our mediocare  preception from D2, in that SDSU was just average. One win over UCD, is not convincing by any means.

Chris Kelly, I know well from D2Football. Chris who was the West correspondant for D2 football at the time and was convinced that SDSU was never in the game at Chadron when we lost.  In retospect I think he  was right even though I was at the game and he was not.

I guess the bottom line is that SDSU Football has a number of things to do in order to gain respect.  How much respect will we have if we get blown out at Southern and Georgia Southern? Not much I suspect. It best not happen.

We cant wait five years for things to turn around. The season starts on Saturday and we need a big win. :-[  I read over on Bisonville that UNC has only 41 scholarships so waiting until 2011 is not the answer either.  I think we need to get behind the our program and demand improvement.

I know I sound very skeptical about our football program and maybe I have reason to feel this skeptism.
                I have seen more  than my share of games slip away since 1986.   Some times due to bad coaching decisions.

I would love to be surprised.  I hope no one is stupid enough to suggest that I give more to the Jackrabbit CLub. I give generously. :-[

BTW, the there is a preview on the SDSU football site

Here is the link

http://www3.sdstate.edu/ClassLibrary...1/FB_83004.pdf

Comment

I guess my two cents on this is, I'm with you SDSUFAN.

I listen to as many football games as I can and feel the ups and downs as if I'm in the game myself. But too many times in my history of following the team have I had that "gut feeling" about a game before kick-off and regretfully it comes true. I'm as optomistic as anyone and bleed blue and yellow thru and thru, but I've hit the wall with this season. I want to enter DI with a bang on the grid iron, but this schedule is brutal. At this point for me only one person can change my outlook on the future of Jacks football.

I'll be listening this weekend and every weekend and rooting on the Jacks. I'm hoping they do shock most naysayers (including myself) and have a respectable year. Brad Nelson is too good of a quarterback for us to be a bad team.

Comment

SDSU's main problem over the last couple of years - they usually lose the close games or choke in the 4th quarter. Look at 2003 - Winona State and North Dakota - these games go the other way - state is 9-2 and makes the playoffs. SDSU will suprise fans this weekend with a win - SDSU 34 UCD 24.

Comment

At least we've got some posting. You're guys passion for a successful program shows, which is huge. Just need more fans like you all.

To Saturday: questions abound, and SDSU's offense is certainly coming in with more accolades. Nelson must be contained b/c he is flat out talented. Davis will need to use it's speed to get to the Jacks QB.

As for the Aggie offense needing time to "gel".The thing to remember is Davis runs a pro style, complicated offense, which in itself can be very difficult to defend, even with veteran players. That said, a lot of youth on the field for SDSU. How will they handle the Ags offense?

Lots O' questions to answer!

It's going to be fun no matter what. It's a happy time of year when football time is here.

Comment

I hesitate to wade into this discussion! But, here's my two-cents worth.

I lean toward SDSUFAN'S point of view. I listen to the football Jacks when I can. I didn't play football (I ran and turned left for 800 meters).

SDSUFAN'S observation about not tolerating a comparable win/loss record for the basketball team is difficult to dispute.

Sometimes I have a little discomfort with the football team because it is the #1 reason State, and most other programs, have Title 9 compliance problems and often the football program is a drain on financial resources. Basketball, on the other hand, pumps in the money (I know, I know, my sport of track and field is not revenue producing).

I think that if the football program bumped off a D-1 opponent or two, that news would go a long way in reconnecting grads with their alma mater. Maybe that will increase the donations! So, in the end, I'm cheering hard for the 'Rabbit gridiron boys.

But BB is the game.

GO ALL JACKS.

but my disappointment with the football win/loss record

Comment

I hesitate to wade into this discussion! But, here's my two-cents worth.

I lean toward SDSUFAN'S point of view. I listen to the football Jacks when I can. I didn't play football (I ran and turned left for 800 meters).

SDSUFAN'S observation about not tolerating a comparable win/loss record for the basketball team is difficult to dispute.

Sometimes I have a little discomfort with the football team because it is the #1 reason State, and most other programs, have Title 9 compliance problems and often the football program is a drain on financial resources. Basketball, on the other hand, pumps in the money (I know, I know, my sport of track and field is not revenue producing).

I think that if the football program bumped off a D-1 opponent or two, that news would go a long way in reconnecting grads with their alma mater. Maybe that will increase the donations! So, in the end, I'm cheering hard for the 'Rabbit gridiron boys.

But BB is the game.

GO ALL JACKS.

Comment

What you people don't seem to understand is that in the NCC, a 7-4 record was a very good year. Most years two of the top teams in the nation were in the NCC, and only a couple of touchdowns seperated the next two or three teams from them. The biggest reason we haven't been better is that the facilities are a joke. Yes the stadium its self is nice, but the weight room, locker room, and training facilities are a joke. One fall only a couple of years ago we got a big snowstorm at the end of the season and we couldn't practice outside. Guess where we had to practice. In the freaking indoor rodeo arena in the ruts and pits and hoarse crap!!!! The biggest reason the football team has not done better is the fact that they have no money. After playing at places like NDSU, UND, and UNO, it is easy to see why they are better. Facilities are a HUGE factor in recruiting.

As far as basketball being the "bigger" sport, that is a fact that I have no problem admitting. The success they have had is fantastic, but the NCC was not as strong a confrence in basketball as it was in football. I would have loved to just make it to the playoffs. But if you think they (Basketball) are going to have instant success at the D-I level you might be in for a disapointment. They can't go to the playoffs for like 10 years (kills recruiting), plus they will have more quality opponents now that they are out of the NCC. My final words are this. Yes, basketball has had more success and is more popular at SDSU and if you want to talk basketball please go to the basketball forum.

I laid my body on the line for 5 years just to say that I had the honor of being a Jackrabbit football player. I am only just entering my middle 20's and daily feel aches and pain from the wear and tear of college football. On behalf of myself and all other Jacks football player past and present, I am oh so sorry for not living up to your standards. Next time I see Brad I will make sure and tell him about all the great support. That should help him throw more touchdowns and make better facilities spring up out of the ground.

GO JACKS FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (You still have 1 fan who will support you, win OR loose)

Comment

Yes 7-4 is a good year. It would be a great record this year. But when was the last time SDSU's football team won 9 games - I believe it was 1979 (correct me if I am wrong). SDSU's football team always seems to be talented and very competitive. I think most state fans are frustrated with the fact that they just can' t quite to get to the next level - always so close. That said I think the football team will surprise this year and win 6-7 games even with brutal schedule.

Comment

Working...
                              X