Punter story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Punter story

A little ink from the Argus, it is about our punter (not much else to talk about after Saturday).  

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Thursdayfeature.shtml

Punter a bright spot for SDSU football team
    By Chris Solari
    csolari@argusleader.com

published: 9/9/2004

Ethan grad Bainbridge shines in blowout loss in Calif.

In the aftermath of Saturday's football bloodbath between South Dakota State and California-Davis, there were minimal positives upon which the Jackrabbits could focus.  .  .  .

The sophomore punter from Ethan launched eight kicks for an average of 40.5 yards, continually getting better as the Jacks' offense continually struggled in their debut in Division I-AA and the Great West Football Conference.

"I'd like to be all-conference in the new conference, in I-AA," said 20-year-old Bainbridge. "Mainly, I just want to help out my team, help out with field position the times I'm out there and help my team win."

His day was right on par with his freshman season stats. The 6-foot-3, 175-pounder averaged 40.7 yards per punt in 47 tries in 2003, finishing third in the North Central Conference. He placed 12 kicks inside the Jackrabbit opponents' 20-yard line and drilled a career-best 60-yarder at North Dakota State.

"Neal is a tremendous talent," Jacks head coach John Stiegelmeier said. "He's a hard worker. He studies his technique and skill, and when something goes wrong, he works on correcting it."

Bainbridge's first punt as a Division I-AA player seemed to epitomize SDSU's struggles against UC-Davis, as the wobbly aerial went just 28 yards.

He followed that up with a 42-yard boomer on his next try, but that wasn't his best effort on the play. Aggie Kevin Freeman eluded the punt coverage and broke free up the right sideline for 43 yards before Bainbridge - a former three-way star at Emery-Ethan High - hammered Freeman with a jarring shoulder shove that sent the return man flailing into his bench.

"I had one last year, but this one was a little bit trickier," Bainbridge laughed. "It was interesting. I didn't get a whole lot of experience with that."

With his parents, godparents and brother and sister in the Toomey Stadium stands, Bainbridge also sent two punts for more than 50 yards in the opening game. He had five travel 50-plus yards a year ago.

Fresh off a 2002 Class 9AA state championship with the Emery-Ethan Seahawks, playing end on both offense and defense while also kicking, Bainbridge took over SDSU's punting duties last year as a true freshman. He earned honorable mention honors in the NCC.

"It's a whole different ballgame, moving to just a punter from playing offense and defense in high school," Bainbridge said. "So far, things have been going pretty good for my first two years."

The Jackrabbits play Winona State at 7 p.m. Saturday in their home-opener at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium.

"I'm shooting for a little better average this game," Bainbridge said. "Hopefully, I don't have to make any more tackles."  .  .  .

Go State!  ;D

Re: Punter story

You can tell it was a bad game if the only thing we had to brag about was the punter. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for the guy and it's great to have a good punter, but if it were up to me we would only need him once or twice a game.

GO JACKS, BEAT WENONA!!!!!

Comment

Working...
    X