Brooking Register Coverage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brooking Register Coverage

As most of you know I was in Brookings for the game this past weekend and I was pleasantly surprised at how good the Register's coverage was. They had a few stories in the paper on different days leading up to the game.  I wonder how much "good stuff" dosen't make it to the on line sight?  Here are highlights of a story I read in print while up in SD. This one made it to the on line version.

http://www.brookingsregister.com/mai...26&page=25

Climbing the ladder
    BY BY SEAN WELSH
    n SDSU’s Mike Blackbourn has played in all three divisions of college football

The path to NCAA Division IAA football was an interesting one for South Dakota State University senior Mike Blackbourn.
    "Now we’re (SDSU) D-IAA so I sort of went for the cycle from D-III to D-II to D-IAA," commented Blackbourn, a linebacker for the Jackrabbits. "It’s always kind of a little kid’s dream to play a Division I sport … hard work got me here."
    "He is a blue-collar guy," said John Stiegelmeier, who is in his eighth year as head coach at SDSU. "He works very, very hard and doesn’t say much at all … the kind of guy you want to be around."
    Saturday, Blackbourn and another of his high school teammates at Aquin Central Catholic High School in Freeport, Ill., Brian Janecek, will be in uniform for SDSU when the Jackrabbits host Winona State in the ninth annual Cereal Bowl. It’s the 2004 home opener for the 0-1 Jacks. Winona State is 2-0 and ranked 14th in this week’s NCAA Division II poll.  .  .  .

When the Jacks decided to move into the Division I-AA ranks in the Great West Football Conference this season, Blackbourn completed the climb to the top of the football ladder and even found himself in the starting role at linebacker.
    Blackbourn was an Illinois High School Association first-team all-state player. He set the school career record for tackles with 264 and also played on the basketball team.  .  .  .

While at Loras, Blackbourn played two years of football and averaged 11.7 tackles per game his sophomore year.
    "I did fairly well at Loras, but basically they didn’t have the drive and motivation to go to the next level," Blackbourn said.
    "I wanted to be part of something better … my high school basketball coach (Craig Jenkins) played basketball out here in the ‘80s and he knew some people so we came out on a recruiting trip."
    Blackbourn liked what he saw in Brookings so he decided to make the trek to South Dakota to compete for the Jacks.  .  .  .

"Everyone out here is great," added Blackbourn. "It’s a lot different … I grew up about an hour from Chicago so it was always hectic. It’s a nice little change; everyone’s so mellow and laid back."  .  .  .

Go State!  ;D

Re: Brooking Register Coverage

The Register has always done a pretty good job with Brookings-area sports, despite significant staff limitations. They just don't have many resources. Their corporate parent, News Media Corporation, doesn't have deep pockets and isn't particularly interested in journalistic "excellence" so much as it is focused on digging profits out of small communities and investing almost nothing back.

Comment

Working...
    X