SDSU is in the Top Half of I-AA attendence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU is in the Top Half of I-AA attendence

After our first home game, and a crowd of 8,718, the Jackrabbits are in the upper half of I-AA attendence.  I think this is wonderful for a team new to the division who's fan base will grow as we move forward.  

Although the NCAA is not keeping our Stats with our I-AA brothers (crazy NCAA rules) you can see that once you factor in NDSU, the Jackrabbits would be number 34 (of 76 I-AA teams that have had home games so far) just ahead of Tennessee Tech.

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/Internet/...Je8e2bwBu1h3Lq

Also of note, we are #2 in the Great West for attendence, behind only NDSU who had a sell out for their game against Valpo. We would also be #5 in a 10 team Big Sky that included NDSU.  Something for the folks at the Big Sky to think about.      I think as a short term goal (3-5 years) that we should be looking for an Avg. of 10,000 + fans for our Football team. We could build on that. It would be great to see Coughlin-Alumni filled for every game and that needs to be our long term goal. What do you guys think? Good stuff, keep it up and Back the Jacks!

Go State!  ;D

Re: SDSU is in the Top Half of I-AA attendence

SDSU could average over 10,000 this year. SDSU would need the weather to cooperate and having only 4 games helps the attendance average as every game is a warm september game or a big game.

8718 - Winona
    9000 - Western Oregon
    12000 - NDSU
    12000 - Augie

A lot of assumptions here - but the above equals a 10430 average.

It might be difficult to keep the average up for next year with more home games and maybe some cold games late in the season.

Comment

Jack100 I think your attendance estimates are in the ballpark if the weather stays nice enough. We might even get a larger crowd at the NDSU game, depending on how many Bison fans make the 3-hour trip. The excellent attendance at football this year speaks to one thing I have always appreciated about SDSU fans: they're very loyal and enjoy the games for what they are.

Some places (like here at OU) the football games are appreciated not for the nice weather or the fun of the spectacle, but because they are a chance to prove superiority over another school or state. There's some sick dominance aspect to it, and the students have totally bought into that. Frankly, Oklahoma doesn't have much, and the Sooners have become too central to the state's identity.

Now I would love it if SDSU would win a lot, but it's not the only point to intercollegiate athletics. A football game at the much maligned (elsewhere on this board) Coughlin-Alumni Stadium is a fun family outing. The games (as I recall... haven't been to one in about 15 years) are just a nice chance to get outside and enjoy the game, listen to the Pride of the Dakotas, have some ice cream, and just soak in the ambience of the event itself.

Thinking about it makes me wish I worked at SDSU instead of OU. Hrumph.

Comment

The Western Oregon crowd was a little light, so after two home games SDSU is Avg. 6,972. This would place us at # 46 (Just ahead of Coastal Carolina) of the 98 I-AA teams that have had home games.

We continue to be # 2 in the Great West behind only NDSU. Of note is that this weekends opponent, Southern University, is in the top 10. The Jaguars are at # 5 with an Avg. attendence of 21,068 so the boys are apt to play in front of the biggest crowd they will see all year this weekend.

It is my understanding from listening to the Jackrabbit Report on KWSN that Beef Bowl ticket sales are going very well. Hopefully with the "Dakota Marker" on the line, we can pack Coughlin for this game. This game should help bring our home attendence avg. up.

Only two home games left, Beef Bowl and Hobo Day. Get out and back the Jacks!

Go State! ;D

Comment

Working...
        X