Western Oregon game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Western Oregon game

Each respective game needs its own new topic. Sounds like there are plenty of weddings on game day. None should be after 6 pm so attending a wedding is no excuse to not make at least half of the game.

Forecast says 75 and partly cloudy, calm winds.

http://www.weather.com/weather/detail/USSD0041?dayNum=4

I expect at least 8,000 again. No reason we couldn't break 10,000. See you boys in the backyard in anticipation of our 2nd straight win (albiet 2 wins over DII teams). GO JACKRABBITS!!!
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: Western Oregon game

Western Oregon has been handily defeated by 2 divison III teams thus far this season.  This game will be a blowout.  I would guess we will at least even up our PF vs PA and Brad Nelson should be able to pad his stats.  Good chance for special teams to gain confidence and 2nd and 3rd stringers to see the field.  Hopefully everyone stays healthy for the upcoming trip south.

SDSU 49
    W. Oregon 10

Attd 8,003
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Looking at the WOU website, and seeing two losses to D3 schools, you hope our guys dont read this stuff as it could be a great way to have a let down.

I hope the Jacks play their heart out and the second and third strings get to play the second half. We dont know a great deal about the opponents other than they are short distances from WOU and are rated in D3.

http://www.wouwolves.com/fb/

Comment

I listened to the Jackrabbit report yesterday and Coach Stieg said he was focusing on that at practice. Working on fundamentals and trying to improve on last weeks performance.

Hopefully that can get up big by the 3rd/4th quarter and get some younger guys their reps. A close game wouldn't be good at all.

Comment

I also heard the Jackrabbit Report yesterday, but did not catch the name of the opponents played to date by WOU.  Linfield and Willimanette, and getting pounded is not good.   So yes we do need to keep our guard up.

Comment

Here is an interesting excerpt from one of WOU game stories against Williamette:

"Western Oregon, who took advantage of four first-half Willamette turnovers, led 21-7 with 8:39 left before intermission after defensive end Dane Wagner picked up a fumble and walked three yards into the end zone. But the Wolves would not score again and had only 90 yards of total offense in the second half.

The Wolves, who defeated the Bearcats 24-0 in 2000, the only other time that the squads have met since leaving the NAIA, had a much more difficult time with Willamette's "Fly" offense this time around."

My question is what is a "FLY offense"? and could we install it by Saturday?

Comment

I'm not sure what a "fly" defense is, but I recall decades ago when I played football there was a gimmick defense some high schools used where nobody went into a three- or four-point stance. Everyone, including the lineman stood up and were spread out like a volleyball team or something until the snap. That might be a "fly" defense, but I am really not sure.

Comment

OK Jack: That was the "Radar" defense. O'Gorman still trots it out every now and then.

Comment

Yes, the radar, that's right. Thanks Mike. So we haven't yet solved the mystery of the fly. Anybody else have an idea?

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
                    My question is what is a "FLY offense"?
                    Offense, not defense.

I did a quick search and found this:

http://www.hitrunscore.com/827008923...ll-videos.html

This offensive football training video is presented by Mark Speckman of Willamette University. Running time of this teaching football video is 57 minutes and was produced in 1999.
                    I guess they wrote the book on that offense, literally.

This site explains it better:

http://bcwarrior.coachingstaff.com/O...cfly/WCFLY.HTM

Comment

Oops. That explains why my google searches for "fly defense" yielded lots of hits about deer flies and none about football.

Comment

Jack99

Thanks for researching and posting links. I dont know play strategy that well, but looking at some of these formations, SDSU maybe using some of this fly offense. I think WOU is struggling with their defense so I think if we run what we have we should not have a problem controlling the game. Who knows Saturday may be a surpise, but not likely.
                        : : : : ;D

Comment

I think this is a game that we will dominate and gain some confidence. One that will be quite important with the next few games coming up.

SDSU 48

WO 7

GO JACKS............
                          http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

Hope to see many of you in Brookings this weekend.

Go Jackrabbits, beat the Wolves!  ;D

Comment

I had plans of attending game, but relocation tasks have gotten in the way. I got carpet and vinyl installers next week and have a ton of stuff to do so they can do their work and hand me a bill. I think with a team like WOU, with 69 true freshman, its not going to be a much of a game from a fan's standpoint. It should be a good confidence builder for our trip South. I could be wrong, though. Will catch it on the internet tonight. ;D ;D Go Jacks.

Comment

Working...
                              X