Media Coverage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Media Coverage

We have great opportunity here after going D1 and I realize it has been a short time. Does any one else feel we could get better media cover from TV and newspapers (including the RC Journal)? And is there anything we can do about like a letter and e-mail campaign? I did e-mail the TV and Argus Leader but just got one response from KELOLAND "we will look into it"

Re: Media Coverage

There is a tendency to presume that these news organizations have unlimited resources, but they really do not. The Argus, for example, has five people on its sports staff, including both reporters and editors. We're very lucky to have one of those people assigned to cover SDSU sports, and I think Chris Solari is doing a really good job. The Rapid City Journal has an even smaller staff, and they have their own region to worry about. Keep in mind both papers are really regional newspapers, not statewide ones, focusing most of their attention on four or five counties each.

Likewise, the Sioux Falls television stations have just a handful of sports reporters. They send photographers out on Saturdays to sweep through the region and hit as many games as possible for about 30 seconds each so they have some video to show. More than that is just beyond their capabilities.

I think we should count our blessings that the Argus Leader editors have publicly declared that SDSU sports moving to DI means they'll devote more of their resources to covering us. They have followed through on that so far, sending Chris to Milwaukee, for example, to cover SDSU's first DI sporting event.

Full disclosure: I was an Argus Leader reporter in the early 1990s and now I'm a journalism professor at the University of Oklahoma.

Comment

I see some other angles too, and that is SDSU is only in its second year of reclassification. We have still by and large D2 programs. D2 programs that have had a very good start in some sports such as cross country and volleyball. The 52 zip outcome in UCD was embarrassing to say the least. Its going to take another 3 years before SDSU is a full member of Division1.

The Argus has up to now had a split strategy in coverage in that SDSU, USD, Augie and USF have gotten near equal coverage.

This equity coverage is still probably part of their strategy at least for calender 2004 and coverage too may be dictated by an annual budget. I would assume newspapers are no different from other business in that they have annual goals and annual budgets, and at least for 2004, the Argus seems to be sticking to their plans. Not a problem as far as I am concern as its about the only way a business can keep its doors open.

Lastly, I think SDSU is going to have to demonstrate that their athletics warrant more coverage and I think this will happen down the road. The more early sucess we have the greater the odds are that the Argus and other state papers will devote more coverage. Newspapers seem to like winning programs. The Argus is no different.

I think we need to be patient. It certainly does no harm in emailing and calling the media's attention to giving SDSU more coverage. We have roughly 195 members on this board, and even if 100 per cent sent an email, it may not be overly persuasive. Just my thoughts.

OK Jack, thanks for the full disclosure and your comments about the Argus. Its easier to be brutally critical of any organization if the organization appears faceless. Your full disclosure shuts that option off at least to myself.

Comment

It would be great though if the Argus Leader would match the Fargo Forum's coverage of NDSU. The Forum has 4-5 articles a week about NDSU's football team, coaches, or players. I realize that the Argus Leader is in Sioux Falls and SDSU is in Brookings - but maybe it will happen someday.

Comment

What I think will ultimately drive Sioux Falls media coverage, is attendance. And that comes with success and wins. The Argus wants to sell papers and charge more for ad space. TV and radio want listeners and viewers so they can sell time. Part of doing all that is covering what people want to read and hear and see.

Right now, it's hard to say that there's a real significant difference in attendance among the three largest universities (well, one University and two whatevers). Until the Jacks consistently start outdrawing the u and augie by larger numbers, there probably won't be an overly compelling reason to skew coverage towards SDSU. We've always outdrawn those two lesser schools, but I think we've got to get to where we're averaging 12,000-15,000 in FB and 6,000-7,000 in BB before we can expect the Argus to sit down and say, "Hey, SDSU athletics is something that really interests a larger portion of our readership."

That being said, from what I see and hear from a distance, there does seem to be a bump in media coverage. Wins, support and attendance will be needed for it to continue once this early novelty wears off. I do think there are some things the sales departments at these media outlets could be doing to help get the momentum moving faster. Things that could be profitable for them and beneficial for SDSU. Are there any joint promotions going on between any media outlets and SDSU? Seems like there could be some ticket giveaways or giveaways on these charter trips. Things that tie in with local SF businesses. I don't want to see Jackrabbit FB or BB games played in SF; maybe one or two per season, at the most. People in SF have to be convinced it's worth the short drive to Brookings for the long-term success of the program. When that starts happening, we can demand, and should expect, more media coverage. Though I think it's and natural progression and will take care of itself. I also think that at this stage, a note thanking media outlets for the little extra coverage we're getting does us more good than writing to ask, or demand, more coverage.
          @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
          --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

While it will always be nice for SDSU and the athletes to recieve more media coverage I also want to commend Chris Solari and the Argus Leader in the coverage the past couple years. From what I can remember in the last 5 years the Argus Leader has increased it''s coverage of SDSU athletics. I know Chris very well and I know he does his best to write articles on SDSU and articles that present SDSU in a postive way. He also takes the time to get to know the athletes he interviews and writes about. So I want to personally thank Chris and the Argus!

Comment

Working...
            X