Favorite Jack game/play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Jack game/play

Along the same lines as 1979's thread...What is/are your favorite Jackrabbit football play(s) and/or game.  A couple from recent history for me are...

Ranek's 96 yard run against USD in the dome.  Along with several other of his runs.

Casey Hillman's INT for a TD v Augie about 5 years ago in the last 30 secs to win the game on Hobo Days.

On an infamous note, the 3 consecutive false starts v NDSU on a game winning field goal attempt a few years back.

Re: Favorite Jack game/play

Hobo Day 1985

Southern University 2004

Go State! ;D

Comment

1993 - Montana - yes it was a loss, but the atmosphere was second to none and taking a Montana team that was on its way to greatness down to literaly the last minute was a thrill in itself.

Greatest play (sidebar that this is from a game I participated in - I don't remember much from games I have watched) - Also 1993, Beef Bowl vs. NDSU, simplest play in football, quarterback sneak by Todd McDonald in which he went about 30 yards untouched for the score. That play kind of summed up the game in that even the simplest of things were going our way which lead to a nice win over the Bison. Probably the best thing about that play was watching Colin Breyfogle running down field looking for someone, anyone to block and there was no one there. (Being that is was a silent sneak I don't think I got out of my stance until Mac was about 10 yards down field so I did watch the play and didn't participate at all).

Comment

I have seen or listened to hundreds of Jackrabbit games over the years. I remember as an 8-year-old watching SDSU drub Eastern Montana 73-0. That score made a big impression.

But honestly, I have never enjoyed any game quite as much as last Saturday's Southern game. My wife and I listened to the game on our computer here in Norman, Oklahoma. It will be tough to top that.

Comment

My favorite play and game was Hobo day a few years ago where SDSU beat UNO, who was higher in the conference than SDSU. We won in overtime or was there more than one, I believe there was.  I believe Brett Gorden was kicking the FG's and finally the winning one.  Martay Jenkins the NFL flash for UNO was stuck in the mud  most of the day as there was a two inch rain the night before and Coughlin was slowing these turf guys down to a trot.

Also being a student during the 61-62-63 season there were many favorite games.  Winning was the rule and losing was an exception.  In the final season at State Field now Sexauer Field, SDSU beat St Cloud 72-0. Ralph Ginn ordinarily did not run up scores, but he had cleared the bench and they still managed to put points on the board. St Cloud was NAIA at the time.   This was the 1962 season.

The games with UNI and UND were very close in those years. I also recall opening day at Coughlin Alumni that was a 7-9 loss to Arkansas State now D1A.  Also that year the prior week the Jacks went and beat Toledo of the MAC conference, before the home opener with Arkansas State.

Hopefully we as fans can experience bigger wins in the near future.

Comment

I'm with 89Rabbit on this one.  Hobo Day 1985!  State beats the No. 1 ranked Coyotes in front of a record crowd.  

That game also gave me my favorite play when Bruce Klosterman pounded the USD tailback deep in his own backfield and caused him to fumble the ball early in the game.  

My other vivid memory of that day was that my buddy from the U was bitching about the length of the grass. The SDSU grounds crew must have conveniently forgotten to mow the field that week. ;D ;D It really slowed down the Coyotes' tailor-made turf team.

Comment

Working...
            X