ARGUS EDITORAL-TODAY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARGUS EDITORAL-TODAY

I was not going to mention this editoral but, it came up today on the Craig and Mike radio show.  Craig and Mike took exception with the Argus on this particular editoral and defended John Stiegelmeier. When Craig and Mike get talking I can not tell which one is talking because their voices and delievery styles are so much alike.  At any rate they felt that if a similar incident had happen to Craig or Mike, that they would probably be working at KWSN up to their sentencing but maybe not on the air.  They felt Coach was looking out for Anthony because without the ability to practice, what would prevent him from getting into further trouble.  This is a troublesome situation. You can not condone what Mr Robinson did, but at the same time, its up to the court to sentence and deliever Mr. Robinson to prison.

In the meantime, I think the school could have civil action taken if they were to dismiss him from the team or to dismiss from school prior to the sentencing.  VP Reger has often refused comment on matters like this until the judical system has worked its course and if this is a written policy at SDSU, then some ambulance chaser could have a ball. ;D

No offense, JackJD, I dont think the term ambulance chaser applies to you, or any one else in the legal profession on this board. To me it seems civil suits are won often when someone can prove damage, that occurred contrary to written policy especially if its a visible employer or educational institution like SDSU.
    SDSU could be preceived as judge and jury by dismissing him from school and the team prior to sentencing.

I think the Argus is entirely wrong in taking this position.  After sentencing, Mr Robinson wont be able to do much of anything. So why make life miserable before the sentence.   ???

http://www.argusleader.com/editorial...article1.shtml

Convicted SDSU player should be off football team
    Editorial Board
    Argus Leader

published: 9/30/2004

Coaches sometimes have to make hard decisions. But the decision facing John Stiegelmeier isn't difficult at all.

Anthony Robinson should be removed from the South Dakota State University football team.

Several days after pleading guilty to two felonies - distribution of marijuana - Robinson still was on the team. And head coach Stiegelmeier wasn't talking about it.

Athletes in trouble is nothing new, and it happens at all levels of competition.

Sometimes, there are questions of what should be done. There shouldn't be any question in this case.

Robinson was caught last June after selling marijuana to two police informants. A search found more than 10 pounds of marijuana in his apartment.

He remained on the football team, practicing but not playing in games.

Earlier this month, Robinson pleaded guilty to two charges - felonies - of distribution of marijuana. A third charge was dropped. Sentencing is Oct. 26, when he faces 20 years in prison and $20,000 in fines.

After Robinson pleaded guilty, Stiegelmeier said he didn't know about that and he'd discuss the situation with his staff. Why wasn't Stiegelmeier following the felony charges against a player?

And what's to discuss? Isn't there a code of conduct for athletes? If there isn't, there should be.

A few days later, Stiegelmeier said Robinson was still on the team roster, still practicing with the team. But he wouldn't say anything else.

Stiegelmeier - and all SDSU administrators - are sending a peculiar message. It's one thing to give an athlete support or to help an athlete through a tough time. Especially if there's a substance abuse problem or the case hasn't wound its way through the court system.

But these are felony charges. Ten pounds of marijuana go beyond a substance abuse problem. And Robinson has been convicted by pleading guilty.

It's time for Stiegelmeier to take action.  

Re: ARGUS EDITORAL-TODAY

I'm not a huge Stig fan as a football coach.  I've never played for him, so this is just my opinion.  Stig may not be the best football coach in the U.S. but he is a great guy.   He may be one of the most honest, sincere, men that I've ever met.  Anyone questioning the integrity of Coach Stig does not know Coach Stig.  I agree that what A. Robinson did was wrong, who wouldn't?  Allowing him to practice and continue with his education while awaiting sentencing, who's that hurting?  Certainly not the Argus.  He'll pay his dues, and deservidly so.  But Stig has committed no crime, why call for his head?

Comment

Since the Argus chose to publish this editoral, I think that the administration at SDSU should respond.  

I am purely speculating here, but when the news broke about Mr. Robinson, I dont think Stig buried his head in the sand.  I think Stig went immediately to Fred's office and discussed the matter and what offical action to take. Fred inturn may or may not have decided on a course of action, but knowing Fred, I am sure he took this incident to the Administration building. Again speculation, but I would think that allowing Robinson to stay enrolled and practice with the team was chosen as the action to take until the judical system has taken its course. The point is Stig is not acting alone here in allowing Robinson to practice.

Dismissing a student is a serious matter no matter what the charge or circumstance.  I dont think an institution can go full charge ahead if the judical system is involved.
      Until that judical system has worked its full course, I dont think you can dismiss anyone without the possiblity of civil recourse from the party being dismissed. This is what I think is going on here and I think the administration needs to explain this, but however they are not required and sometimes if nothing is said, the matter is soon forgotten.

Comment

Here is my opinion on this. I will trust Stig's judgement on this one. He is not keeping the kid on the team to help the team. He is keeping the kid there to help the kid. There is no one I respect more as a human being than Stig. I realize this can be a nightmare for the university, and they have not exactly had a ton of good news coming out of Brookings when it comes to this sort of thing. However, since I do not know all of the facts, and John does, I am going to go with him.

I am reminded of Tom Osborne and the Huskers a few years back. The difference here is that a lot of those guys continued to play. However, if you would have taken football away from them, what else did they have to keep them anywhere close to the sraight and narrow? That is one of the reasons I hate the rule in high schools here in SD that suspends a kid for a year if he or she is busted. For a lot of these kids, take away their sports, band, theatre, etc., you might as well plan on never seeing them in the school building again! But, I digress.

Again, in this case, I am going to go with a guy that has great character, and knows the situation of this kid better than I ever will. I also have to say I was surprised that Craig also agreed. He is a lot more right leaning than I am on most subjects.

Comment

I didn't see the editorial until I read this thread. I tend to ignore editorials...sometimes those guys think they're "thought provoking". It is an interesting dilemma but I trust that those with the most facts at hand (Stig et al.) are in the best position to make decisions.

Now, SDSUFAN, take it easy on the lawyers! In my office, three of the six lawyers are SDSU grads and we're all damn good guys! Seriously, there's little risk of a civil claim if they cut the guy loose so Stig is probably making the decision based on a number of reasons including, because its just the right thing for the individual at this time as many have commented in this thread.

Let the system take its course.

...and quit reading those editorials!

Comment

JackJD:

Okay will stop reading the editorals, and lawyers are good people. I respect them and the profession. Lawyers can be darn helpful if in trouble and can often stir you away from unworkable thinking when doing estate planning and wills. Thats all I am going to say....

I am thinking though that head coaches are not commanders in chiefs in that they have bosses too. Apparently in this case as in Tom Osbornes decision that Mike cited, the adminstration has allowed those decisions and backed the coach on whatever he decides to do. Especially if there is little chance of civil suits as you stated. Well its time to move on. ;D

Comment

Gotta step up to the plate and defend Stig here. Like Mike H said, hard to find a better guy around and the genuine concern he has for his players. My son is one of them. After talking with several of the players, they all say Anthony is a very good person, I am not saying he deserves special treatment, he deserves what is his due. I truly believe Stig kept him on the team for Anthony's sake. That is the kind of guy a father wants his son to play for and be proud of. Stig has surrounded himself with an excellent staff that I think is much better than anyone gave him credit for earlier. With some time and some of the things going on internally with the team, this is a program we are all going to be very very proud of...He is not entirely about wins and losses....lots of life lessons to be learned here. I think several of the others on the board will support what i say....OK, off my soapbox here....... I just get a litte irrated when people accuse others before they know all the facts.....

GO JACKS !!!!!!
              http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

footballfan:

I know John very well, and I agree 100 per cent with all that you said. I don't know Mr. Robinson, but you have given some insight on how the team preceives him as a person.  I do hate to see any young person put behind bars.

I guess what bothers me a little but not real bad is the preception that Coach is making this decision on his own and that the editoral implied that the buck stopped at Coach Stig's desk.  I still tend to believe the Admin has cleared and supported the coach on this matter and should share the Argus wrath.  Although it may not appear that way, I am defending Stig and think highly of him.

I sense the new coaches are very good and maybe an improvement over those who left. They seem to work very good together which is essential for any program to be sucessful.

Comment

Well, I guess I have to disagree with most of the posts on this topic. I to admire Coach Stig and the way he works with the team. I don't know him personally, nor do I know Mr. Robinson. However, I'm not sure when you the court system is complete, after sentencing? Well then, what about appeals?

What Mr. Robinson did was wrong and now he is paying the consequences. Does that mean SDSU should abandon him? No, but not only does the Coach and Admin have to try and help Mr. Robinson, they have to look out for the program. This does not help the program.

If it is policy that nothing will be done until a certain point, say after sentencing, then SDSU should have been out front pointing this out. Since they have not, you have to assume it is not explicitly stated in policy and their is discretion involved.

In my opinion, this has not been handled correctly.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I would have to agree with 1st Row---this has not looked good. This violation was not minor--it's a felony.

The kid had something like 14 lbs of pot...not a joint he got at a party or that someone left in his car...aka Randy Moss. He knew what he was doing. My guess is that other fb players are also involed, i.e. buying it, smoking it. This is NOT good for the SDSU football program.

Here is a case of getting an athlete getting special treatment..If this was a non-athlete in the dorms of SDSU--they would have probably been kicked out no questions asked.

This was not a case of him getting caught having a few beers at a house party.

Just my thoughts and opinions

Comment

I know I have seen and heard VP Reger state that the University does not act on matters such as this until the justice system has run its course. I know that the Athletic Department operates under the same program since it is part of the University system. This would be approached differently if this had taken place on campus or in a dorm room, which would have been a direct violation of University policy. The fact is this took place off campus and was not related to any university activity. If this were Joe Student this wouldn't be an issue. He would still be taking classes while going through the court system. The fact that this is a student-athlete only changes it from the point that it gets publicized. Anthony is hurting no one by practicing with the team. He's getting the opportunity to continue his life while he awaits sentencing, just like anyone else who gets caught like he did.

The fact that this took place off campus and outside of university functions basically means that no official action can be taken. It's a decision Stig had to make as to whether or not Anthony stayed with the team while waiting sentencing. All coaches have concrete rules about what is expected and what could lead to your dismissal from the team. There are also those grey areas in which the coach needs to evaluate the situation in order to make the best decision. Not everyone will agree on Stig's decision, which is fine because that's what we do on this board. We do need to assume though that there are circumstances none of us know about that lead to Stig's decision.

Right or wrong, that's personal opinion. I believe though that if the newspapers would treat Anthony like an everyday citizen we wouldn't be having this discussion because his case would be tucked away amongst the normal police blotter fodder.

Comment

1st row: Very good points, and ones that I am hearing from the majority of people at work. SDSU is taking a beating here in the office today. Not just the athletic department, but SDSU in general.

This goes back to a bigger topic as well. SDSU could not have handled some of their bad news the last few weeks any worse if they would have tried. This ties into several of the discussions on this board. Naysayers about the move to D1 have pointed out that if SDSU can not keep control of things now, what makes anyone think they will be able to keep control of things as they expand their athletic programs, along with student enrollment, etc.. If SDSU is not being truthful about (insert subject or controversy here), what else are they not being truthful about?

That being said, I still stand by Stig. I believe in rules, but I also think that blanket policies can be less than humanistic with their approach.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSU/BHS-FAN
                          My guess is that other fb players are also involed, i.e. buying it, smoking it.  This is NOT good for the SDSU football program.
                          That's a pretty strong implication to be throwing out even if it is just a "guess". You may want to reconsider opening a can of worms like that.

Originally posted by SDSU/BHS-FAN
                          Here is a case of getting an athlete getting special treatment..If this was a non-athlete in the dorms of SDSU--they would have probably been kicked out no questions asked.
                          How is this special treatment? As I stated before, if it was on campus the University has rules that would dictate punishment. It took place off campus outside of any university function. Any student would be getting the same opportunity to continue their education if this had happened to them...I'd go on but it would be wasting time on something we'll never agree on.

Comment

I would sure be very careful to say that other football players were involved...that is making a very big accuation.......strictly speculation. Not saying that it is not true, but I guess I would want alittle info before i said that.
                            http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

Just Curious Mike,
                              What bad news the past couple weeks besides this did SDSU not handle well. Honestly not trying to cause an arguement, but just curious on this end. ???
                              "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Working...
                              X